It is an amazing and very useful feature. Previously, on all former Galaxy S phones, if you checked the auto-brightness box the phone just took over and if you touched the slider it would uncheck the auto-brightness box and you'd be on full manual mode. Now you can adjust the midpoint you want while letting the phone continue to auto-adjust around the brightness point you've selected.

I think this is a wonderful feature of the S7/S7E and I wonder why not a word has been said about it.
    03-12-2016 07:14 AM
    I came from an S4, my only S phone. That always annoyed me if I wanted to temporarily modify the brightness, it disabled auto-brightness.

I definitely will utliize this feature, now that you pointed it out. Thanks!
    03-12-2016 07:20 AM
    I noticed this as well. Nice

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-12-2016 07:27 AM
    That's strange ... I didn't think that was a new feature .. my note 5, note 4 and s5 all had the adjustable auto brightness slider ... maybe we it was only on some models or carriers ?

03-12-2016 07:33 AM
    I use lux
    03-12-2016 07:34 AM
    That's strange ... I didn't think that was a new feature .. my note 5, note 4 and s5 all had the adjustable auto brightness slider ... maybe we it was only on some models or carriers ?

I guess the Note series got this a lot sooner than the S series. I can't begin to tell you how helpful I find this. I have generally found standard auto-brightness controls to be a tiny bit too low for my liking. I love the ability to goose it up 5%-10% to get it right where I like it while letting the phone do all the rest.
    03-12-2016 07:36 AM
    I use lux
    Now you don't have to.
    03-12-2016 07:37 AM
    Which variant do you have? This adjustments to auto brightness has been on international variants for some time but certain Carrier variants always removed it in the past. Note that the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 on marshmallow also has something similar, but it wasn't on lollipop.

Now if you are referring to where it remembers the brightness setting and will make adjustments to automatic brightness automatically, then that is new.

Also there has been discussion about this, I personally remember posting in a thread about it
    03-12-2016 09:00 AM
    It is an amazing and very useful feature. Previously, on all former Galaxy S phones, if you checked the auto-brightness box the phone just took over and if you touched the slider it would uncheck the auto-brightness box and you'd be on full manual mode. Now you can adjust the midpoint you want while letting the phone continue to auto-adjust around the brightness point you've selected.
    I JUST freakin' noticed this last night, I was showing a friend how much brighter the screen was compared to my N5...I was like waiitttttt a minuteeeeeeeee.......AMAZE-BALLS, right?????
    03-12-2016 09:02 AM

Weird, I had the adjustable, but as soon as you altered it the "auto" would uncheck. I have Note 5/AT&T. Probably a carrier thing, you're right.

I am just happy that now I can set the MAX brightness that I need...it kind of reminded me of how I would set the iPhone auto brightness, except you'd have to walk into a dark room and wait until the screen adjusted and THEN set auto.
    03-12-2016 09:07 AM
    I was thinking the same.

My Note 3 had this feature too.
    03-12-2016 09:30 AM
    My tmobile s7 edge has this feature. Maybe your carrier removed it.

03-12-2016 09:35 AM
    So I think I might be the only one that doesn't like this feature? I didn't know about it and I wanted the screen darker so I hit it assuming it would stay like that and turn auto off but noticed it kept changing. Oh well.

03-12-2016 10:09 AM
    So I think I might be the only one that doesn't like this feature? I didn't know about it and I wanted the screen darker so I hit it assuming it would stay like that and turn auto off but noticed it kept changing. Oh well.

You can still deselect Auto and set the brightness manually.
    03-12-2016 11:11 AM
    I didn't even notice this. Will have to try it out.
    03-12-2016 11:48 AM
    I just moved to a note 4.. cool feature.. you need auto on all the time.. I hated to have to switch back and forth between times when I need it brighter and auto when I needed it to control contrast.
    03-12-2016 12:00 PM
    This feature has been around for a while.

dreaming of electric sheep
    03-12-2016 03:22 PM
    How can you tell someone's a Verizon customer? They're amazed by features that have been around for some time.

God I hate Verizon. I'm with psychdoc on this one. "Wow Verizon left this feature in there?!? NOWAI"
    03-12-2016 03:31 PM
    Previously, on all former Galaxy S phones, if you checked the auto-brightness box the phone just took over and if you touched the slider it would uncheck the auto-brightness box and you'd be on full manual mode.
    It only worked that way on some US carrier variants. I owned an international unlocked Galaxy S6 last year and it had user adjustable auto brightness. It's actually one of the main reasons I didn't buy the AT&T model last year. I don't know why AT&T and possibly other US carriers always had this feature removed from their phones, but I'm glad they are finally keeping their grubby paws off of this feature.
    03-12-2016 03:35 PM
    I guess I never said much since I've grown used to this due to other phones I've had did this already.
    03-12-2016 04:20 PM
    Never knew this. I'm on sprint and this feature is perfect.

Not sure why some carriers removed it. I guess they need the room for thier carrier bloatware.

03-12-2016 04:28 PM
    I JUST freakin' noticed this last night, I was showing a friend how much brighter the screen was compared to my N5...I was like waiitttttt a minuteeeeeeeee.......AMAZE-BALLS, right?????
    How auto brightness works, how is display brightness as compare to note 5, how auto beightness works in indoor condition if i am in a room thanks

03-22-2016 11:10 PM