Hopefully you guys can help me out - WiFi issues

say anything

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
My s7 Edge has worked great on wifi at home and at the dentist office. I have no issues other than a weak signal indicator which doesn't mean anything.

I went to work for the first time since getting the phone and it's a different story. I still have my previous phone with me and the wifi works on it and on my laptop.

Now, onto the s7 Edge. I work at a hotel that used to have a log in screen, however, now you simply have to connect to the network.

I pulled out my phone to connect to the network when I got here and it was already connected. Weird, but whatever. Then I tried to use it. It's cripplingly slow. It shows that it's connected to 48mbps network and that it has a strong signal, but doing a speed test has results of
.03mbps and a ping of 2499. I restarted, I forgot the network and restarted, I tried connecting several times and it's still ridiculous. As I said, my previous phone is connected and works fine. It shows speed tests of 9-15mbps sitting right next to the s7 Edge.

Any ideas?

say anything

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the fantastic responses, everyone! For anyone else having this issue - I figured out what was happening, but I haven't come up with a fix other than possible hard reset which I have yet to try. When the bluetooth is on, but not connected to a device, it basically kills the wifi completely. Turn off the bluetooth and the wifi is back. Connect to a device and the wifi is back.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Strange fault, different to mine in the other thread and also I have not had Bluetooth on in general unless I go in the car - so can rule that out.

In any case Bluetooth shouldn't kill WiFi so you may want to think about a return.

say anything

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I found other people it's happening to in the S7 forums. It's apparently also happening to the Note 5 with Marshmallow. This thread goes deeper into it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Try forcing your WiFi router to use IPv4 instead of IPv6, seems to fix all the weird WiFi issues people are having.

say anything

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Turns out it happens everywhere I go if WiFi and Bluetooth are both on. It's not just one place. I can't go around place to place re-configuring routers and I especially can't do it at work. However, it's great tip if it's something you have control over.

I'll probably just flip the hard reset switch and see it that fixes it. If not, I'll get an exchange and call it a day.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Turns out it happens everywhere I go if WiFi and Bluetooth are both on. It's not just one place. I can't go around place to place re-configuring routers and I especially can't do it at work. However, it's great tip if it's something you have control over.

I'll probably just flip the hard reset switch and see it that fixes it. If not, I'll get an exchange and call it a day.

Then, go to your WiFi settings and be sure to have the Smart Network Switch off and in the Advanced option, turn off all that optional stuff like Network Notification and Hotspot 2.0.

See if by doing this it gets better.

say anything

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, changing the options doesn't help. The only thing that seems to help is turning off bluetooth or making sure I'm connected to a device.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, changing the options doesn't help. The only thing that seems to help is turning off bluetooth or making sure I'm connected to a device.

Well, in that case I'd try a factory reset and if it still does the same, return it and ask for a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy