08-09-2017 01:22 AM
694 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    An update has just come through that seems to have fixed it. See Update Fixed SD Card Notification | Samsung Galaxy S7
    Devendra95 likes this.
    03-30-2016 08:49 PM
    An update has just come through that seems to have fixed it. See Update Fixed SD Card Notification | Samsung Galaxy S7
    thats a sprint update. i believe verizon had the same thing a few days ago.
    03-30-2016 09:07 PM
    This notification keeps popping up a couple times a day. I've formatted, mounted, unmounted the card and it's still haunting me.

Is there any way to stop this?

Attachment 219912
    I turned on my "Always on display" and it's seemed to fix the problem. Hopefully this will be the fix until Samsung pushes a better solution. I don't know how many people turned it off like me because they thought it was a waste of batter ... but maybe this is the solution for now. Let me know if this works for anyone else.
    03-30-2016 09:34 PM
    I turned my "Always on display" off and never had a SD card notification pop up, I also installed the SD card monitor and its bee all 0's all day and night, no issues. Besides the AOD uses your battery each hour so if you shut it off you may get better battery life and besides just press a button to check the time as you did with all the other phones. The AOD is nice but sometimes its not bright enough to see outdoors anyway.
    03-30-2016 11:30 PM
    formating the card helped, now the notification only shows up once right after i turn on my phone (not during normal use, locking/unlocking the screen). So maybe it doesn't solve the problem completely but it definitely makes it less anoying
    03-31-2016 04:06 AM
    formating the card helped, now the notification only shows up once right after i turn on my phone (not during normal use, locking/unlocking the screen). So maybe it doesn't solve the problem completely but it definitely makes it less anoying
    03-31-2016 04:07 AM
    Good morning,

Can anyone else confirm that an update has been/is being rolled out to resolve this issue, please?

Thank you.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-31-2016 05:25 AM
    Good morning,

Can anyone else confirm that an update has been/is being rolled out to resolve this issue, please?

Thank you.

I'll keep you guys posted if it comes out on T-Mobile
    03-31-2016 05:27 AM
    I'll keep you guys posted if it comes out on T-Mobile
    Awesome. Thanks Devendra95. Tmobile here too 😊

03-31-2016 05:43 AM
    Got this from Support on their Facebook:

"Samsung Support We do not have info yet, Randy. This has been forwarded to the dedicated team for review. In the meantime, let us see what we can do to help. Can you confirm what type of SD card on your device? Have you tried using an SDXC card? ^Bert"

I'll take that as (partial) acknowledgement.

In response to my post:
    "Random SD card notifications and other SD card issues persist for a sizeable number of Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge early adopters, due to random mount/dismounts of the SD card. Not initiated by user, not motion or shock sensitive, just happens randomly. Does Samsung have any update on the root cause and corrective action of the defective hardware or software?"
    03-31-2016 07:29 AM
    I've been running for about a day and a half without the notification since reformatting the card in the phone. I doubt this is a tray issue. The dismounting would happen even when the phone was just sitting on my desk. Hopefully, any "fixes" don't just suppress the notifications but actually address the base issue (whatever it is.)
    03-31-2016 08:02 AM
    Hi there!

I had this same issue and tried many different strategies (factory reset, changing out the SD card, formatting the SD card, etc.), but it kept unmounting itself and/or displaying the notification.

The common thread in these notifications was that they only occurred when booting up the phone or waking it up, which made me think about Android M's new Doze feature and whether it was affecting the System UI, which is the app that produces these SD card notifications (to confirm this, long press the SD card notification and click the settings icon and it will take you to the System UI app information).

As such, I tried the following:

-Go to Settings and select Battery
    -Tap More on the top right side and select Optimize Battery Usage
    -Change the dropdown menu to All apps
    -Scroll down to System UI and deselect it to de-optimize it
    -Once you've de-optimized the System UI, take a photo with the phone (that goes onto the SD card) or move an app to the SD card to ensure that it is engaged with the new System UI setting

Since following these steps yesterday, the only time I see the SD card notification is when I restart the phone. I have yet to see it appear at all between restarts.

I hope this works for you!

So, back on 3/18, I posted this and tried playing with the Doze settings and while it worked for about 2 days, the unmounting situation and related notifications returned so I ended up returning the phone.

The S7 Edge is sold out everywhere around here, so while I simply wanted to exchange it, I had to return it or risk going over the 14 day return period and being stuck with a broken phone.

Fast forward to last night and a Verizon Wireless store had it in stock, so I swooped in and bought it. As of this morning, the exact same SD card issue has returned and I’m starting to think this might not be a hardware issue.
    Like many of you, I’ve tried all the fixes suggested to no avail. What really is perplexing is that the notification and ejection of the the card only happens for me when the phone is not active. It never occurs when I’m actively using the phone, which points to software not hardware since you’d think moving the phone would cause an issue with the SD card connection over it just sitting there on my desk.

Here’s hoping a tech site (looking at you, GottaBeMobile.com, CNET.com, etc.) runs a story on this to finally get a response from Samsung because I don’t know about you, but the lack of answers from both Samsung and Verizon is seriously making me rethink my brand loyalty right now.

Off to Samsung Support’s Facebook page, I guess…
    03-31-2016 09:36 AM
    I have two Galaxy S7 edge (BOGO deal from T-MO). One doesn't have this issue but the other one does. Yesterday, the notification didn't pop up at all, and I thought the problem when away. Well, I realized later on that that wasn't the case. The microSD, Samsung Evo 64gb, was being no longer recognized by the phone. When I popped in another microSD, older one by Samsung, the phone was reading it just fine. I'm kind of thinking it's the microSD, specifically Evo model giving this issue. I thought all Samsung microSDs are made in Korea, but the one that died was made in Taiwan. The older one currently working was made in Korea.
    03-31-2016 10:14 AM
    I found this interesting exchange on Twitter in which Verizon claims Samsung knows about the problem and is working to fix it:

SD Card Notification keeps popping up - Help !-screen-shot-2016-03-31-2.59.20-pm.png

Add my name to the list of people experiencing the problem. Aside from being annoying, it's difficult to take quick photos when I have to clear the notification it also creates within the camera app.
    03-31-2016 02:06 PM
    How many people have tried taping a piece of sticky note to the back of the sd card and to the tray? I suspect the contacts are getting just enough space to lose the ability to keep connected.
    03-31-2016 02:23 PM
    I am amazed at the throng of people thinking this is hardware related. No wonder Trump is doing so well.
    This is a bug in Marshmallow. That's why when you buy a new phone from a different batch and still have the same issue you will somehow brush away the fact that it also has Android 6.0.1 on it, and claim it has to be hardware. It takes good software to run a good phone. They rushed the updates. And I mean everyone rushed. Google AND the carriers. They gotta please those stockholders and sell more phones.
    I have.not recieved any update from Sprint to correct my Note 4 sd card issue. Nor has anything corrected the 6-12 random reboots daily since the Marshmallow update was pushed on me 5 days ago.
    I won't blame Samsung because my phone worked just fine on lollipop 6 days ago. Take what you will from that simple fact.

03-31-2016 02:23 PM
    I have tried two different MICRO SD cards in my new S7Edge (T-Mobile), and I've had two different problems. For the latest SD, a 64 GB SanDisk 64GB Ultra Plus Class 10 Micro SDXC. With the notification problem, I've already turned on " Always on " in display, no change. Android 6.0.1.

The 64GB SanDisk has the non stop SD Card notification, (for transferring photos and media).

The 32 GB SanDisk worked perfectly in another Samsung phone, but after a few days stopped working entirely in the S7 Edge.
    03-31-2016 02:25 PM
    I've tried several different combinations of tape and nothing has worked. At one point I had six pieces of Scotch tape stacked on top and had to really cram the tray in there. As with others, I'm only getting the notification when my screen is off and I can't trigger it by shaking or hitting my phone, so my bet is it's a software bug.
    03-31-2016 02:32 PM
    Has anyone heard of the SD card issue with the Exynos version?

03-31-2016 03:06 PM
    @GoCards14: Yes, I have the Exynos version, and I confirm that I have this issue from the beginning. I also have the tray on the left (single sim) - and the fit of the SD card is good.
    In my case, besides the actual notification, I also experienced what also a few other described here: phone blocked when listening to music from the SD card, when taking pictures and the SD card was unmounted unexpectedly, the camera would stop functioning, having the entire phone blocked a few times, not able to format the sd card sometimes (after a couple of hours this was corrected automatically), and so on.
    What I did:
    - Optimize Battery Usage - deselect it from that list (see above entire description) - no improvement
    - Formatting SD card multiple times inside of the phone - no improvement
    - Applying something similar with scotch tape on the tray where the SD card is mounted - I was inserting the tray harder - the SD was not having any possibility to move in the tray - no improvement
    - Soft reset multiple times (only in this way I was also able to restart the phone after I had several complete blockages) - no improvement
    - Factory reset - no improvement
    - Encrypting SD card - improvement
    After I encrypted the SD card, I only see the notification a couple of times per day (always after unlocking the phone) - maybe 3-4 times, BUT, everything else is working normally - no blockage, no freezing of poweramp while listening to music, no camera issues saving on SD card. However, when the notification appears now - like mentioned here as well, there are now 2 notifications (one for encryption, and the original one) - both can be swiped away.

EDIT: I was reading the other thread about the update, and there is a good idea there to help troubleshoot the issue. Can everybody please install the app "Phone info Samsung" and post here the phone model, country of origin and manufacturing date?

Phone model: SM-G935F
    Country of origin: Vietnam
    Manufacturing date: 2016.02.07
    rdandy5875 likes this.
    03-31-2016 03:48 PM
    @GoCards14: Yes, I have the Exynos version, and I confirm that I have this issue from the beginning. I also have the tray on the left (single sim) - and the fit of the SD card is good.
    In my case, besides the actual notification, I also experienced what also a few other described here: phone blocked when listening to music from the SD card, when taking pictures and the SD card was unmounted unexpectedly, the camera would stop functioning, having the entire phone blocked a few times, not able to format the sd card sometimes (after a couple of hours this was corrected automatically), and so on.
    What I did:
    - Optimize Battery Usage - deselect it from that list (see above entire description) - no improvement
    - Formatting SD card multiple times inside of the phone - no improvement
    - Applying something similar with scotch tape on the tray where the SD card is mounted - I was inserting the tray harder - the SD was not having any possibility to move in the tray - no improvement
    - Soft reset multiple times (only in this way I was also able to restart the phone after I had several complete blockages) - no improvement
    - Factory reset - no improvement
    - Encrypting SD card - improvement
    After I encrypted the SD card, I only see the notification a couple of times per day (always after unlocking the phone) - maybe 3-4 times, BUT, everything else is working normally - no blockage, no freezing of poweramp while listening to music, no camera issues saving on SD card. However, when the notification appears now - like mentioned here as well, there are now 2 notifications (one for encryption, and the original one) - both can be swiped away.

EDIT: I was reading the other thread about the update, and there is a good idea there to help troubleshoot the issue. Can everybody please install the app "Phone info Samsung" and post here the phone model, country of origin and manufacturing date?

Phone model: SM-G935F
    Country of origin: Vietnam
    Manufacturing date: 2016.02.07
    Model: SM-G930T
    Made in Vietnam
    Manufacturing date: 2/23/2016
    03-31-2016 04:27 PM
    THIS PHONE DOES NOT HAVE THE NOTIFICATION ISSUE:
    Phone Model: SAMSUNG-SM-G930A
    Country of Origin: MADE IN KOREA
    Manufacturing Date: 2016.02.11

Cool app....
    03-31-2016 05:34 PM
    Originally had notification issue that has since disappeared for nearly a week

Phone Model: SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    Manufacturing Date: 2016.02.19
    03-31-2016 05:37 PM
    Originally had notification issue that has since disappeared for nearly a week

Phone Model: SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
    Manufacturing Date: 2016.02.19
    You've been at this for a while, with no success. I didn't have success either, but an exchange fixed my all up

I just want to see this through to the end.

Glad you are having some relief...
    03-31-2016 05:40 PM
    You've been at this for a while, with no success. I didn't have success either, but an exchange fixed my all up

I just want to see this through to the end.

Glad you are having some relief...
    Yeah I still have no idea what fixed it for me. I had thought maybe the encryption but others said it didn't do anything for them...just happy for now that I haven't had to deal with it
    03-31-2016 05:42 PM
694 ... 910111213 ...