SD Card Notification keeps popping up - Help !

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
So my notifications have randomly stopped...was getting a bunch right after the Verizon update, but now nothing. Go figure.

I had the problem as bad as everyone else, but now I can't even get the notification if I tried (other than reboot). I moved apps to the card, changed permissions for apps using storage, etc. Nothing. Hard to believe it fixed itself. I'm just worried that it will resurface after I decide to keep the phone and not do an exchange. I'd love to believe the issue is gone from my phone, but that seems very unusual all of a sudden.

If it's a tray issue, maybe the card moved a bit and wedged itself in there real tight.

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, it is a hardware issue. If I were you, I would protect my phone with a case and screen protector (to ensure to keep full warranty of the device) and wait a few months to get a phone from a new batch. I have a friend who works at Samsung Canada and he anonymously told me that this is a known issue by Samsung who will not admit it and they will still sale the batch that was previously build with this issue. Once they get new batch, this will be fixed. Good luck.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
This isn't a small issue. Every time you get the notification, it's bc the SD card dismounted. If you are taking a video and this happens, the video stops or corrupts. If you are listening to music stored on the card, it stops. I believe the reason samsung did not activate the feature to store apps or use the SD card as internal memory is bc they knew of this issue and it would corrupt the phone. This is actually a very serious issue and there is no way that Samsung did not know about it.

To be fair, we don't yet know if any of those possibilities actually have or will happen. Most here have posted this message appears when the phone is alone/idle, etc. There's a very good chance this will never happen if the SD card is being accessed (such as video recording, playing music, etc). This is likely because if it is software based, may be a feature of the doze function of Marshmallow as some have hypothesized here

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I had the problem as bad as everyone else, but now I can't even get the notification if I tried (other than reboot). I moved apps to the card, changed permissions for apps using storage, etc. Nothing. Hard to believe it fixed itself. I'm just worried that it will resurface after I decide to keep the phone and not do an exchange. I'd love to believe the issue is gone from my phone, but that seems very unusual all of a sudden.

If it's a tray issue, maybe the card moved a bit and wedged itself in there real tight.

My notifications have also randomly stopped

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh and please note: It can stop for a few days and come back. I also assume it will degrade with time (sun, cold, etc). I am also assuming this is caused by the weak tray build. My 2 assumptions are only by 2 cents on this.

dmaul3300

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I contacted Samsung through the support Facebook site. They asked me how I formatted my site, the steps I used to factory reset my phone etc. I told them I have done a factory website multiple times and this issue has occurred using multiple sd cards. They said to take it to a Samsung store and asked for my address. It turns out I am not close to a store near me, so they asked me to send in my phone to them and that They would get it back to me within 12-14 business days. I told them this is my only phone and cant be without a phone for a couple of weeks. They said this is the only option if I want my phone fixed. I guess I could spend $30 to activate my old note 4 and then send in my phone and pay another $30 to re-activate my s7 edge, but I am thinking do I want Samsung to look at the data on my phone.

I gave them the link to this forum and told them many other people are having this issue and see a lot of other people posting about this issue. They suggested I contact Sprint or Best Buy. I bought the phone from Best buy and was told to contact Samsung. They don't have any silver s7 edges in stock and do not know when they will get them. This afternoon, my sd card reappeared. It had not been recognized for 27 hours.

I am not sure what to do. The fact that I can get the sd card that is not being read in my s7 edge and put it in my note 4 and is automatically recognized, I think there is an issue with the phone.

dthillet89

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
This notification keeps popping up a couple times a day. I've formatted, mounted, unmounted the card and it's still haunting me. :(

Is there any way to stop this?

View attachment 219912

I turned on my "Always on display" and it's seemed to fix the problem. Hopefully this will be the fix until Samsung pushes a better solution. I don't know how many people turned it off like me because they thought it was a waste of batter ... but maybe this is the solution for now. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Iphonecrzy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I turned my "Always on display" off and never had a SD card notification pop up, I also installed the SD card monitor and its bee all 0's all day and night, no issues. Besides the AOD uses your battery each hour so if you shut it off you may get better battery life and besides just press a button to check the time as you did with all the other phones. The AOD is nice but sometimes its not bright enough to see outdoors anyway.

pifpaf

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
formating the card helped, now the notification only shows up once right after i turn on my phone (not during normal use, locking/unlocking the screen). So maybe it doesn't solve the problem completely but it definitely makes it less anoying :)

pifpaf

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
formating the card helped, now the notification only shows up once right after i turn on my phone (not during normal use, locking/unlocking the screen). So maybe it doesn't solve the problem completely but it definitely makes it less anoying :)

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Good morning,

Can anyone else confirm that an update has been/is being rolled out to resolve this issue, please?

Thank you.

Posted via the Android Central App

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Got this from Support on their Facebook:

"Samsung Support We do not have info yet, Randy. This has been forwarded to the dedicated team for review. In the meantime, let us see what we can do to help. Can you confirm what type of SD card on your device? Have you tried using an SDXC card? ^Bert"

I'll take that as (partial) acknowledgement.

In response to my post:
"Random SD card notifications and other SD card issues persist for a sizeable number of Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge early adopters, due to random mount/dismounts of the SD card. Not initiated by user, not motion or shock sensitive, just happens randomly. Does Samsung have any update on the root cause and corrective action of the defective hardware or software?"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma