SD Card Notification keeps popping up - Help !

Luis Lopez15

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I was doing good after encryption but I eventually started getting notifications again. I ended up just removing sd card for now. The cards that I have tried have been 64gb and 128gb, I'm thinking of purchasing a 32gb to see if that makes a difference. I'm wondering if the phone just can't handle the larger capacity and faster cards. I Know the phone is supposed to handle up to 200gb but what if for some reason it can't yet.

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone been successful in getting rid of the notifications completely? If so, can you share how? Especially, Rdandy5875. How is the new phone with the new tray? If that worked, there's hope that Samsung can start shipping new trays to impacted Customers.

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone been successful in getting rid of the notifications completely? If so, can you share how? Especially, Rdandy5875. How is the new phone with the new tray? If that worked, there's hope that Samsung can start shipping new trays to impacted Customers.

No notifications so far, it has been about 20 hours. I'd sat this phone is probably not affected with this problem.

AFA the trays. I'll admit I do not want to remove the tray just yet. I did find some pictures online which show the differences I saw, though:
This first one represents the fit on the first SD tray. There is room for the card to move around.
galaxy-s7_hardware_greatmemory.jpg
This one is representative of the replacement handset's tray. Kind of hard to see. Notice how there is no wiggle room.
I'm honestly going to go go target and remove the sim trays on display phones to see what they look like. They have to be early production models on display.
galaxy-s7-sim-sd-card.jpg

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
No notifications so far, it has been about 20 hours. I'd sat this phone is probably not affected with this problem.

AFA the trays. I'll admit I do not want to remove the tray just yet. I did find some pictures online which show the differences I saw, though:
This first one represents the fit on the first SD tray. There is room for the card to move around.
View attachment 222301
This one is representative of the replacement handset's tray. Kind of hard to see. Notice how there is no wiggle room.
I'm honestly going to go go target and remove the sim trays on display phones to see what they look like. They have to be early production models on display.
View attachment 222302

Thanks you for sharing. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this explains the inconsistencies. I'm not sure how precise SD cards are manufactured, but I think it's safe to assume there are very subtle variations; even across the same brand. That said, it would stand to reason that different cards "fit" into the trays differently.

The good news: If that's the case, we don't need new phones: just new trays. The not so good news: my experience with Samsung is that they NEVER own their defects, so it might be an uphill battle.

Thanks again and please keep us posted if you can.

S

Posted via the Android Central App

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
It's been 4 days since I encrypted my SD card and I haven't yet experienced the notification. Could be a coincidence but it (may) have solved the problem for me...but judging by others' posts it could just be a coincidence.

Luis Lopez15

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Contacted Samsung and was told that it was not a hardware issue. The person actually said the notification was not an issue but that if enough customers complained about it that Samsung would do a software update removing it. I told the person that it was not just the notification, that at times we can actually see a message starting that the card is unmounting and then remount. Then I was told that the card would not unmount itself. Eventually I got no where with Samsung and either these reps are really unaware of what's going on or they have been told what to say and do and not acknowledge there's an actual problem.
The worst part is I tried exchanging it with the dealer I purchased it from but was told that they and surrounding shops in my area are completely sold out of the edge version and that they are not expecting any more in for a couple of weeks. This is crazy. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now but I'm not happy and if this doesn't get fixed soon this will be my last Samsung product.

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Contacted Samsung and was told that it was not a hardware issue. The person actually said the notification was not an issue but that if enough customers complained about it that Samsung would do a software update removing it. I told the person that it was not just the notification, that at times we can actually see a message starting that the card is unmounting and then remount. Then I was told that the card would not unmount itself. Eventually I got no where with Samsung and either these reps are really unaware of what's going on or they have been told what to say and do and not acknowledge there's an actual problem.
The worst part is I tried exchanging it with the dealer I purchased it from but was told that they and surrounding shops in my area are completely sold out of the edge version and that they are not expecting any more in for a couple of weeks. This is crazy. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now but I'm not happy and if this doesn't get fixed soon this will be my last Samsung product.

Yuuuuuuupppppp.....that sounds like Samsung to me: "there's no problem Sir/Ma'am; you're imagining things." Sad, but true. Time to start hounding them with tickets.

Posted via the Android Central App

tDsYONKOU

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Haha new to android central, but a samsung rep told me pretty much the same thing. Boot into safe mode, unaware of issue, 1st time someone reported, etc. I actually have 2 s7 edges from the tmobile bogo promo, and both phones have this problem. One i preordered online via tmobile, 2nd one got in store for the promo. I tested with 2 new cards: Silicon Power 128GB up to 75MB/s MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class10, and SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A). Already tried reseating, swapping out sim trays, factory reset, optimizing all apps under battery settings, and disable face service. Basically now just waiting for an exchange and see where it goes from there.

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
So I guess I should do a printscreen for them next time all my images and music on my SD card disappears? This won't get addressed until a national publication writes about it....
BJB1

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Moving an app to the SD card cleared the notification for me, until a reboot then it was back and my moved apps were greyed out and unavailable.

You guys that are still attempting fixes, make sure you restart a couple times.

Also, when talking to Samgung support, don't let them pigeon hole you into something you didn't mean to say. A couple nights ago I started some commotion on Samsung Support's facebook page, thinking I'd get more immediate service through a public avenue. I encourage you all to do this as well. Put it out there in the open. I plan to revisit and explain the differences in the Sd card trays for everyone to see. You can just search facebook for "s7 sd notification" and you will see a few threads which you can add to, or start your own.

Anyways, here's how they trapped me into something I didn't mean to say. They start asking me did I try this and did I do that:

"Did you try unmounting and remounting the SD card via the phone", support writes.

"Yes I did", I replied. Not really remembering if I did or if I didn't I was trying to blow holes in their troubleshooting steps. Well that's all they needed t hear, they tricked me. they reply,

"You may have damaged the internal of the phone by doing this. We need you to bring it to a technician so they can attempt a possible fix".

HAHA, a technician in my city is going to be able to fix this huh!!!! Luckily I didn't give them any personal info and I got the phone from Target so my planned exchange was not in danger of being denied.

Don't let them trap you like that, be vague, play dumb. Just tell them you have gone through all of their recommended troubleshooting and repair suggestions, and you still get the notification.

BTW, UPDATE ON THE REPLACEMENT PHONE. I would never be in this thread if I got this phone off the bat. It has not mis-notified once in 24+ hours. I'm using the EVO+ 64gb which popped the MOST notification on my first handset, about one per hour. I xferred all my data to the card, I used Smart Switch PC to restore everything (or so I thought) from my broken S7 to my new S7 (except SD), and did the ATT android software update (security perhaps) that recently came out. Result thus far is nothing but a perfectly working phone. Still pissed that samsung will not own up to anything regarding this. I feel really bad for people who have to work through this and cannot exchange. I know I probably put 20+ hours into attempts and research in the past week, and I'd still be researching more now, and for a long time, if I had to keep my first handset. I hope this one stays problem free, and I hope you guys can get some resolution and soon!!!!

Last edited:

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I suggest we all blow up their facebook pages. I despise facebook for a number of reasons, but for something like this it's a good tool because it's so public and they want to portray good CS when others are watching.

Here's the Samsung Support Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/samsungsupport/?fref=nf

I'm going to drop them a comment right now and see if they have an ETA on a fix for everyone..

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Done. This problem isn't getting enough publicity imo. Also replying to someone else's facebook comment/issue, which I have done yesterday, still gets you a support rep fast, but DOESN'T "bump" the post to the top. If we can keep making NEW posts on their facebook, multiple per day, I think that will help greatly.

hesketh7085

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

Just to let you know I'm experiencing the same issue with a SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO microSD in my S7 Edge. I've tried encrypting the SD card and restarting the device but still get this notification on start-up. Pressing clear gets rid of it until I restart the phone again.

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Just to let you know I'm experiencing the same issue with a SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO microSD in my S7 Edge. I've tried encrypting the SD card and restarting the device but still get this notification on start-up. Pressing clear gets rid of it until I restart the phone again.

That is NORMAL. You will get it on every restart but what we are seeing is it will pop back up every hour, 2 hours, 10 minutes, randomly, all day, all night. You will think you just got that email about your raise or bonus (lol), check the phone, and it is just a SD card re-notification same as you cleared on startup....

See how that could be annoying? Everyone on this thread would be glad to have your phone. It sucks...

Last edited:

hesketh7085

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Oh right. I came here thinking I had problems!

Well I'll keep monitoring in case of a fix, as my phone saying "Hey! You have an SD card!" every time I start is is going to get annoying fast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar