SD Card Notification keeps popping up - Help !

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm still having the SD eject issue. The notifications are gone since the update, but the SD monitor shows the card ejecting at least twice a day. It's real inconvenient when it happens while trying to take pictures. I didn't warranty it because my local Best Buy (and every one within a 50 mile radius) has not had stock on the Verizon S7 Edges since the first couple of days they were released. (?!?!) The manager of the store told me he would replace it new under the 14 day return policy once they came in. Almost two months later and still no shipments.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On restart it's expected. Other times it's not.

Are people just not wanting to make warranty claims for this?

Some people made warranty claims, and for the most part those that did got replacements that were ok.

You could also disable the notification using package disabler.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
my card unmounted/remounted 9 times today. i was using my riding mower and it was a bumpy ride. i wonder if it is a card tray issue.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
my card unmounted/remounted 9 times today. i was using my riding mower and it was a bumpy ride. i wonder if it is a card tray issue.

Not sure. On my first handset, I taped the card in-place. Didn't make a difference. I'm thinking it is more of a mismatch in tolerances of the card size with the height of the pins, on the motherboard. Not too far-fetched, when you think about it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The latest update on Verizon fixed that for me. Though now I have the password unlock problem.

Have you tried using the SD Monitor app to see if the card is still ejecting/unmounting? It's looking more and more like all the update did was hide the massage from popping up but the actual problem is still occuring.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using the SD Monitor app to see if the card is still ejecting/unmounting? It's looking more and more like all the update did was hide the massage from popping up but the actual problem is still occuring.
I tried to install it now and will check to see what happens.

BitMaestro

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I rather not install another app if not needed.
You may not have to install an app. When the SD card un/re-mounts, the Media process (re)scans all the media on the card (which drains the battery, which is my peeve with this bug). So you may be able to check the percentage of battery used by the Media process, and if it's unusually high, it could be because the SD card is un/re-mounting in the background.

Also, the way Google's Music player is designed, you lose all your playlists -- they'll be empty/have 0 songs -- when the SD card un/re-mounts.

I've had the notification pop up when the phone was just sitting motionless on a desk, so it's not a physical connection issue in my case.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnfantTerrible

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am reading in this thread for a couple of weeks, cause I have the same problems with the SD Card (Vietnamese S7 Edge, first batch, german provider).
Just wanted to share my experiences with you.

SD Monitor NEVER showed me unwanted ejected SD Card, which surprised me a bit. I also never had upcoming notifications. Nevertheless I experienced freezes when downloading my Spotify library to the SD Card. After listening to two or three songs, Spotify would freeze.

Anything else is good so far. Video, photos and also games are working well on the SD Card, even after half an hour of playing. Still the Spotify thing is mysterious (and annoying, cause the library is about 15 to 20 GB of space...).

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
i tried to get this warrantied by verizon they told me i have to send it to samsung and wait 2 weeks for repair
is that insane or what

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had the notification pop up when the phone was just sitting motionless on a desk, so it's not a physical connection issue in my case.

yeah, i've had the notices pop up when the phone was just sitting on a table, but its odd that it ocurred so many time while riding my mower. lol

i tried to get this warrantied by verizon they told me i have to send it to samsung and wait 2 weeks for repair
is that insane or what

did you go to a verizon corporate owned store, and not an individual retailer?

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Still alive... Third s7:
I got my new S7. I have no more SD card notifications at all. Not even when I reboot the phone. Yesterday (again) I was listening to music (a set of 2 hours long) from my SD card. I started to look at pictures (again) at the same time. After 40 mins or so, my phone stopped the music and stopped being able to read my SD. Everything froze and I had to reboot. Then, again, a few mins later (listening to music and looking at pictures), it did it again. On the second time, I was not able to reboot the phone using the power button (keeping pressure for 10 seconds). I had to do it using the volume down/home/power. The phone screen was totally black and there was no way to unfreeze it. My notification light was flashing blue (as I had new emails and text), but the phone was not responsive at all.

It seems like Samsung just removed the SD notification as a whole in the new phone but did not fix the issue.

For those who don't have the issue, before commenting, I would appreciate if you could listen to music and look at your pictures at the same time (all from the micro SD card) for at least 30-40 minutes.

I strongly believe that ALL phones have this issue, but that those who don't just have not access pictures while listening to music (demanding on the SD card reading). Do it if you can... and see if it creates problems. And let me know once you did the above. Thanks.

I want to add that I am a computer/smartphone savy. I flashed ROMS on all my S1, S2, S3, S4. I also did thought it could have been my micro SD the problem (even if it works perfectly with my S5) so I went and bought a Samsung evo 64gb... Same issue. I reformatted both from PC and within the phone and factory reset (on more than 8 occasions). Same issue with all. My S5 doesn't have any issues with both SD. So no it is not the SD the cupid.

It happens more often where using the gallery and/or Camera. I have also downloaded the app to show my sd card mount/unmont and I get it 3-5 times per day.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For those who don't have the issue, before commenting, I would appreciate if you could listen to music and look at your pictures at the same time (all from the micro SD card) for at least 30-40 minutes.

I strongly believe that ALL phones have this issue, but that those who don't just have not access pictures while listening to music (demanding on the SD card reading). Do it if you can... and see if it creates problems. And let me know once you did the above. Thanks.
Honestly, neither one of my T-Mobile S7 Edge phones have this problem. I frequently listen to music and go through pictures to post on FB and other sites at the same time. My phone has never frozen and SD monitor is always at 0. I have owned these two phones for over two months now. They are perfect.

Screenshot_20160510-145354.jpg

Roque13

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Still alive... Third s7:
I got my new S7. I have no more SD card notifications at all. Not even when I reboot the phone. Yesterday (again) I was listening to music (a set of 2 hours long) from my SD card. I started to look at pictures (again) at the same time. After 40 mins or so, my phone stopped the music and stopped being able to read my SD. Everything froze and I had to reboot. Then, again, a few mins later (listening to music and looking at pictures), it did it again. On the second time, I was not able to reboot the phone using the power button (keeping pressure for 10 seconds). I had to do it using the volume down/home/power. The phone screen was totally black and there was no way to unfreeze it. My notification light was flashing blue (as I had new emails and text), but the phone was not responsive at all.

It seems like Samsung just removed the SD notification as a whole in the new phone but did not fix the issue.

I want to add that I am a computer/smartphone savy. I flashed ROMS on all my S1, S2, S3, S4. I also did thought it could have been my micro SD the problem (even if it works perfectly with my S5) so I went and bought a Samsung evo 64gb... Same issue. I reformatted both from PC and within the phone and factory reset (on more than 8 occasions). Same issue with all. My S5 doesn't have any issues with both SD. So no it is not the SD the cupid.

It happens more often where using the gallery and/or Camera. I have also downloaded the app to show my sd card mount/unmont and I get it 3-5 times per day.
I was streaming music to my home audio system while looking at pictures as well as saving various things to my sd card for well over 2 hours on Sunday with 0 issues. I actually listen to music and browse other things, including pictures, at the same time quite often. The only time I get the message is at boot. This is a far cry from my original s7 edge that gave me the notification constantly. I don't get any errors when using the camera or any other app at all. I've taken my sd card out put a different one in with the same result. I've cleared cache from the recovery screen as well as settings with no issues either. Just my experience that I've had on my replacement. And the sd card app has shown 0 unmounts as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2