Had my new s7 edge for a week now and love it but can't figure out how to get the text messages to preview in the notification bar when they are immediately received. I only get the envelope showing i have a message. Had the S5 and S6 edge and it showed the sender and message. I've searched and tried everything. I use the Textra messaging app but i can't get it to work in the stock app as well. Any ideas? Could this be part of the marshmallow update? I also can't t get weather on my lockscreen but i've been told that's because of marshmallow.
    juststart and awriternot like this.
    03-12-2016 12:10 PM
    Had my new s7 edge for a week now and love it but can't figure out how to get the text messages to preview in the notification bar when they are immediately received. I only get the envelope showing i have a message. Had the S5 and S6 edge and it showed the sender and message. I've searched and tried everything. I use the Textra messaging app but i can't get it to work in the stock app as well. Any ideas? Could this be part of the marshmallow update? I also can't t get weather on my lockscreen but i've been told that's because of marshmallow.
    Download textra. Best texting app replacement ever.
    SpasticPat likes this.
    03-12-2016 12:24 PM
    Can't help with the text message issue, but I have time and weather on my lockscreen. I use Weatherbug Elite. Don't know if that may make a difference.
    nickjeep99 likes this.
    03-12-2016 12:27 PM
    I agree. I use textra and love it but with my new s7 edge i only get an envelope notification vs s6 edge it would show the name and message for a short period of time. I copied my settings exactly and still can't get it to work. Makes me think it's a new marshmallow problem.
    03-12-2016 12:41 PM
    Same here. I had the s3, s5, and s6, and it always came up scrolling in the notification bar when I received a message. Now on the s7 edge it doesn't. It must be a marshmallow thing.

I tried various settings, but nothing worked. It does this for all applications I have noticed. Text, Gmail, etc....

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-12-2016 02:13 PM
    Really hope they update this soon, I miss it.
    pcsperson and nickjeep99 like this.
    04-09-2016 04:18 PM
    I concur with this 100%. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon, and I just received my Marshmallow update today (Tue, 31MAY), and I'm experiencing the same exact symptoms. I don't see scrolling text notifications (sender, message, etc.) from any of my push-notification services, including the built-in SMS application, Twitter, and YouTube. (The only exception is Yahoo Mail, but it has its own banner that pops up - independent of the notification bar that normally displays SMS & other alerts.) I seriously hope they bring back that feature; but until then, I guess we must settle for either swiping down on the notification panel or glancing at our smartwatches.

- Alexander B. Shekhtman
    SM-G900V, Samsung Galaxy S5, Verizon Wireless, Android 6.0.1
    31MAY2016 1632+4Q
    05-31-2016 03:32 PM
    When the screen is sleeping you can swipe the side edge back & forth a few times to get your notifications to scroll on the edge.
    07-18-2016 11:50 AM
    This has been driving me crazy thinking I had something off in my settings. I didn't realize how much I loved that feature until I lost it.
    07-20-2016 09:15 PM
    Marshmallow uses thr preview cards. Did you turn it off? Then again I had contacted the devs of chompSMS about a similar issue (same devs as Textra) and it appears they have no idea how to use the preview cards in Marshmallow. Despite other SMS apps being able to do so.
    07-20-2016 11:47 PM
    I'm glad to see it isn't just me who is missing this! I also use Textra but have not been able to find out what's missing if anything.
    07-27-2016 07:43 PM
    I'm glad to see it isn't just me who is missing this! I also use Textra but have not been able to find out what's missing if anything.
    Go to Textra settings > Customize Notifications > Heads-up Floating Notifications. Then set the time for heads up notification.
    08-03-2016 10:54 AM
    It's a different scrolling message, up on the notification bar itself, although that is a nice option too that you mentioned. Thank you!!
    08-03-2016 10:08 PM
    It's a different scrolling message, up on the notification bar itself, although that is a nice option too that you mentioned. Thank you!!
    I think I know what you're referring to. In older versions of android, it was common to see an entire text message displayed up in the status bar. It would be sort of like a marquee, but would have a complete line, then roll up and the next line would appear until the entire message had been displayed. I don't know if Handcent still does this, but I know it definitely used to.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-04-2016 08:18 PM