Quick thoughts from long time iphone user

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying but my desktop is being lame.. Will try later. But it's exciting

Posted via the Android Central App

Download Google Music Manager, log into your Gmail and select iTunes as music source and walk away. You'll see your entire library start popping up in Google Play Music.

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I use iSyncr. I go back and forth between iPhones and Android phones. I keep all of my music in iTunes and use iSyncr to sync to my phone.

Google Music Manager does this as well. I used iSyncr when I first moved to Android with the s4 and it was great, but once I learned about GMM I moved to that because it was simpler by reducing the number of apps I need on my phone wrapped in a nicer ui.

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I'm a 6S+ owner and have been tempted by Android for awhile since I'm using Google services.

After a few days, I'm on the fence about Android for a few reasons:

1) iOS/OSX integration is tough to give up. Being able to take calls/answer texts is very nice functionality. I can use Google Voice, but I've found the service to be a little flakey
2) Text selection and copy/paste is smoother on iOS. Being able to highlight a single word has proven to be a mixed bag as far as performance. Obviously, this is a minor issue
3) Tough to make a definitive assessment after a few days, but battery life seems better on the 6S+
4) As mentioned by many others, update speed for Samsung phones is horrible compared to iOS. In addition, I've read accounts where Samsung updates have crippled performance on the S6 so that is a concern.
5) Not a big fan of the multiple app stores. Getting Amazon Video app on my S7 Edge was a hassle (and I'm not sure how I know when the app gets updated since it's not in the Google Play Store)

As far as the S7 Edge, I love the design, screen and camera. Google services are decent on iOS, but fantastic on Android devices. I have not seen much lag on the S7 Edge...only slightly more than the 6S+ so I would not consider that a deal breaker by any means.

Also, I would say that the app quality on Android has improved greatly since the last time I was on an Android device. Perhaps there is a more consistent design language for iOS apps (though there are many apps that are still not updated for the larger screen devices) but I prefer the material design language of Android.

In the end, it's going to be weighing the iOS/OSX integration vs the superior Google services on Android.

Stake

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I'm a 6S+ owner and have been tempted by Android for awhile since I'm using Google services.

After a few days, I'm on the fence about Android for a few reasons:

1) iOS/OSX integration is tough to give up. Being able to take calls/answer texts is very nice functionality. I can use Google Voice, but I've found the service to be a little flakey
2) Text selection and copy/paste is smoother on iOS. Being able to highlight a single word has proven to be a mixed bag as far as performance. Obviously, this is a minor issue
3) Tough to make a definitive assessment after a few days, but battery life seems better on the 6S+
4) As mentioned by many others, update speed for Samsung phones is horrible compared to iOS. In addition, I've read accounts where Samsung updates have crippled performance on the S6 so that is a concern.
5) Not a big fan of the multiple app stores. Getting Amazon Video app on my S7 Edge was a hassle (and I'm not sure how I know when the app gets updated since it's not in the Google Play Store)
  • OS integration is nice but there are ways around it. The only thing I see that's genuinely necessary is the ability to text on the desktop which there are several solutions. But that's what you get when one company has full control over their devices.
  • Text selection definitely can be better. There's probably a dumb Apple patent that prevents Google from doing something similar to how iOS implements theirs.
  • Battery has been really good on the S7 edge plus quick charging makes it simple to top off. I'm comfortable to leave the phone completely off charger for a day and then some.
  • Updates are going to be an issue since carriers are always involved with Android devices. It'd be faster if the weren't in the middle of it.
  • The multiple app stores isn't a downside. Not being tied to any one single store is actually a good thing. This gives you the ability to choose. Also, buying movies from Google Play allows you to play it on anything that plays YouTube. And if you use Amazon, you're automatically cross platform. It also allows for unique services like the Oculus store. You can't have that on iOS. Question about Amazon updates: Amazon pushes updates to their app on their own and you'll be notified to update.

The Android experience overall is more PC like with the good and the bad. But honestly, both platforms have their issues but I rather have the ability pick my battles than have no say at all.

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I read it and thought Wow, couldn't be more wrong and thought about replying and said "meh, why bother?". So now here I am replying anyway, haha

EDIT - not sure how this ended up down here. This was supposed to be a reply to Only!z's post @ top of this page. Derp!

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree with all of the above I just find myself sorta missing the whole safety of having a reliable phone. Although my first 6s was a dud it was nice knowing that the phone was going to update when all of the others did. I think that's the only honest reason I miss ios .. Dependability. I see so many people with Android issues and update issues... Never really had that with iPhone

I think the one thing to remember is the Android is simply the Operating System and it is freely given to the manufacturers to tinker with whereas Apple fully controls iOS and the hardware. Generally security updates are quick but OS updates depend on the manufacturer and the carrier.

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I love the closed ecosystem. Every app is optimized and uber efficient with the hardware. I love iCloud and all the integration with nightly auto back ups and updates. Everything works so nicely and the single core score is still the fasted per geekbench on a 6 month old phone. The iphone 7 will be a beast.

Then you should stay with the iPhone.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is too subjective a statistic to even compare. One person's usage pattern is going to be completely different from another. I've definitely had better battery life on my 6 Plus than any Android phone I've used, but that's not to say it couldn't be the opposite for someone else.

tnt4

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I've been a long time user of both. I prefer Android but definitely don't dislike iOS. The only thing that has kept me going back to iOS is iMessage and Facetime. Everybody that I care about - immediate family, close friends, co-workers - use iPhones. I have the S7 now b/c dangit, I should be able to use what I want, but I fully expect the following headaches...

• Family / Friends: "did you get my group message?" | "no, I switched phones, you'll have to re-add me, which will turn everybody's messages green" | "what?"... days later... "Why are videos and images crappy now?"
  • The less frequent one... "Hey I need some help with this, can we Facetime?" | "I don't have an iPhone any more - ever used Hangouts?" | "Wth is Hangouts?"
  • The one that's been a deal killer to date that I'm hoping to change... Boss / Coworker: **repeat first bullet point**

Stupid little things, but they really hinder the whole point of having a smartphone - communication / connection with those that matter. Facetime isn't a huge deal, but iMessage is the real problem. #1percentproblems

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been a long time user of both. I prefer Android but definitely don't dislike iOS. The only thing that has kept me going back to iOS is iMessage and Facetime. Everybody that I care about - immediate family, close friends, co-workers - use iPhones. I have the S7 now b/c dangit, I should be able to use what I want, but I fully expect the following headaches...

• Family / Friends: "did you get my group message?" | "no, I switched phones, you'll have to re-add me, which will turn everybody's messages green" | "what?"... days later... "Why are videos and images crappy now?"
  • The less frequent one... "Hey I need some help with this, can we Facetime?" | "I don't have an iPhone any more - ever used Hangouts?" | "Wth is Hangouts?"
  • The one that's been a deal killer to date that I'm hoping to change... Boss / Coworker: **repeat first bullet point**

Stupid little things, but they really hinder the whole point of having a smartphone - communication / connection with those that matter. Facetime isn't a huge deal, but iMessage is the real problem. #1percentproblems

It's absolutely ridiculous that this iMessage problem still exists. I switch from time to time as well and this happens every single time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta