Home button voice control? Ala Apple/Windows?

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I don't want to say "ok Google" before every voice command. Is ther a way to make a long hold of the home button open voice control/personal assistant?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Long hold the home key (opens google app) then hit the mic button in the search bar

Posted via the Android Central App

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I'm finding Android to be cumbersome compared to Windows and iOS. Many tasks seem to have an extra tap or two involved in completing similar tasks on other phones.

rkkeller

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I'm finding Android to be cumbersome compared to Windows and iOS. Many tasks seem to have an extra tap or two involved in completing similar tasks on other phones.

I couldn't wait for the S7 so I could get away from the super restrictive and buggy iOS9 and a Windows phone c'mon I don't even need to comment about that failure. You just need to learn to do things a little different, or you might as well send it back now as you will never be happy.

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Doing things differently can be cumbersome with more steps involved.

I've had multiple iOS devices, phones and pads, I've already had more issues with my S7e than I have for thr two years I've had my iPad Air.

Have you ever even held or used a Windows phone? Don't comment if you haven't, it's many flaws aside, it has the most intuitive OS of the three.

Clearly I'm not playing fanboy to any one OS in particular, since I've owned them all and have changed each purchase. It allows me to speak without blind loyalty guiding my opinion.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Things will be different some may be better for you some worse.

Example, on then S7 double click home for immediate photos, this is insanely awesome as it can be done from any where, any app and in the off position.

On an iPhone? Click home key or power key to wake the phone, then either swipe up from lock screen or unlock phone, find camera app icon and open, then take a picture and hope the moment has not passed.

It's all about perspective ;) Android and iOS do many of the same things nearly identical but android allows to do it how ever you want, I suppose if you really want the home to launch Google voice you could most likely do that with Nova.

Personally I find Siri to be nearly useless unless I ask her to set a reminder and take a note or some apple d fully app related task but if I ask anything of value like how far away something is or if a store is open she just returns a web search which does me no good.

Cheers

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
^ What was posted above.

If the default apps or features don't satisfy you, then the great thing about Android is the customization and diversity, just look for the app that can help you on that regard, in this case I also think you can try Nova Launcher to see if you manage to get what you want. Nova and it's gestures features are widely recognized and loved.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm like yourself, I rotate between Windows, Android and iOS regularly. I've had plenty Lumia's, iPhones and Galaxy phones and the problem with using all 3 is you end up missing the best parts of each OS or phone when you move on. Lumia, I missed Glance, double tap-swipe to wake, dedicated camera button, and Windows integration, iOS I miss regular software updates and sheer reliability, and I miss Android for being able to customise most things and personalisation. On the flip side I struggle to stay with Windows long as I miss apps or the lack of Google apps or having a poorer quality app than the other 2, with Android I get fed up with software issues, and things feeling a little half baked at times, and with iOS the reliability is also a bad point for me as I end up getting bored with it because it just works with very little or no issues. Combine the best points from all 3 and I will maybe finally be satisfied

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
i wonder if Home2 app would help you out. you could set it to go to voice search on double tap of home. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to. It worked first go to applications and chose browser and clear it as default. Then follow these istructions posted by another user http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s-home-button-launch-google-voice-search.html you will lose double tap for camera tho so it's not a win win situation.

There are picture instructions a few responses into the thread.

Last edited:

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
i wonder if Home2 app would help you out. you could set it to go to voice search on double tap of home. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to. It worked first go to applications and chose browser and clear it as default. Then follow these istructions posted by another user http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s-home-button-launch-google-voice-search.html you will lose double tap for camera tho so it's not a win win situation.

Thanks, I will give that a look.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Sorry. I find the exact opposite is true. I have an iPhone for work and absolutely detest the thing. Won't go into why as this is not the forum for that.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

I owe you big time. This fix literally made the difference between keeping and returning the phone. Thanks!

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm like yourself, I rotate between Windows, Android and iOS regularly. I've had plenty Lumia's, iPhones and Galaxy phones and the problem with using all 3 is you end up missing the best parts of each OS or phone when you move on. Lumia, I missed Glance, double tap-swipe to wake, dedicated camera button, and Windows integration, iOS I miss regular software updates and sheer reliability, and I miss Android for being able to customise most things and personalisation. On the flip side I struggle to stay with Windows long as I miss apps or the lack of Google apps or having a poorer quality app than the other 2, with Android I get fed up with software issues, and things feeling a little half baked at times, and with iOS the reliability is also a bad point for me as I end up getting bored with it because it just works with very little or no issues. Combine the best points from all 3 and I will maybe finally be satisfied

Yes, me too.being able to see the best.nor worst between all 3 can be frustrating at times. But it does remove brand allegance. I'm not overly wowed by any of the 3. Windows or is far better than most give it credit, as Apple is not as good as most give it credit. I've always thought android is harder than it should be. But that's the point though I think. Different system, different ways. No sense in whinning. Adapt, or move on....quietly. What I wouldn't do to see a phone with the best of all 3

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Add the Google widget to a home screen and just tap the icon.

not convenient or safe when driving. It shouldn't take that many steps to accomplish something that Windows and Apple do in a single tap.

If you read the thread, you would see that a fix has already been advised an implemented. It doesn't work perfectly, but it achieves the goal.

I picked up my ipad off the seat yesterday to find direction b/c all I had to do to ask was hold the home button.

Stop and think about it...brand new S7e in the cupholder and I picked up an Ipad b/c its that much easier to use. That should tell you something.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85