Cracked S7 Edge - Advice

Peterock317

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
My break happened four days in, was housed in an otter box symmetry. 15" out of pocket from a lawn chair into blacktop. My S5 got dropped weekly, walked away with a few dents on the bezel. This phone is trash, glad I'm stuck with it for two years.
292xm9v.jpg

GooGler8

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Your phone cracked inside an otter box symmetry? That's ....... insane. I never wear cases and never drop phones. EVER. But I managed to drop my S7 edge as I ran down a flight of stairs at work. It was inside my jeans' front pocket, and it squeezed* out somehow. I don't even know how that's possible, but I guess rounded glass will do it. I contacted AMEX Purchase protection and filed a claim; however, they need a manufacturer repair estimate for coverage. And since I bought my phone from eBay, Samsung told me to contact the seller directly. According to Samsung reps, my phone doesn't exist in their system so they can't help me. And since I can't send it in for a repair estimate, AMEX is probably not going to approve my purchase protection claim. I've already visited 4 unauthorized repair locations in NYC. None of the shops repair it. Also visited Staples as they will send your phone out for repair, but repair isn't available for the S7 edge, only the S7. But going by their prices, it's definitely not worth it. The S6 Edge screen repair quote is $470!!!

P4010011.jpg

Dr Awkward

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Cracked S7 Edge off to Texas for repair

Got the Edge 7 March 11th and broke the front screens on the 30th.
Being new to Verizon, I did not have an immediate back up but got one this week.

No insurance and Verizon referred me to Samsung for repairs.
$269 to repair; both screens to be replaced, apparently as one unit.
The phone launched out of my slippery down vest chest pocket while I was washing my car and landed screen first.
My bad for not fully zipping it in there.
Two major crater cracks and numerous arcing tracks across most of screen.

However, the screen continued to work with a thin gray-green vertical line emitting from the top crack - “hole” perfectly covered up the charge info on top of screen – to the bottom.
I used phone for 10 days before sending to Samsung for repair.
For one of those days the line flashed a weird red thinner line within itself.
Overall, pretty impressed with that as the phone took quite a lick.

Had a Skinomi SS and a Spigen dual-layer case on it when it fell.
Will update when it gets back; supposed to be 7 to 10 biz daze.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Insurance companies will soon increase deductibles or refuse to insure edge 7. It's unbelievable how many crack or shatter in the first couple of weeks - often on the first day! Some claim they never even dropped it.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hard for me to believe folks still try to carry their phones in their shirt or jacket pockets. And carry them with no cade period.
But I see it everyday. It's a accident waiting to happen.
Nobody drops as much stuff as my wife.
She don't seen to be able to squeeze & hold onto anything very long.

Posted via the Android Central App

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I feel bad for those who drop their phones and it cracks but the screen is curved l, it's not flat like and s5, to say it's trash cause you dropped it and it broke is a little silly.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Insurance companies will soon increase deductibles or refuse to insure edge 7. It's unbelievable how many crack or shatter in the first couple of weeks - often on the first day! Some claim they never even dropped it.
Yes millions sold, a thread of 60 replies is far from an epidemic. As dorm the screens just shattering on their own is just silly.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
What ever happened to people taking brand new phones & drop testing them.
Did it get too expensive.

Peterock317

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
From Corning... "The water-resistant Samsung GALAXY S7 edge has a dual-edge design and Quad HD Super AMOLED 5.5-inch display featuring damage-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 on both sides of the device." And my phone takes an otherwise innocuous fall in a case yet suffers a broken screen, I'd say trash is a good word to use.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There is a thread here about it. Silly? Are you sure? The moonroof of my car shattered while I was driving on a highway. No bumps. No previous cracks. Things like this do happen.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
From Corning... "The water-resistant Samsung GALAXY S7 edge has a dual-edge design and Quad HD Super AMOLED 5.5-inch display featuring damage-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 on both sides of the device." And my phone takes an otherwise innocuous fall in a case yet suffers a broken screen, I'd say trash is a good word to use.

Take yer car that has a bumper.
Bump into something, see how it holds up.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
wow.. I cant believe I missed this post.

my phone is coming back from Samsung after the $269 display repair. Mine fell 3 1/2 foot drop. first drop and cracked on the edge like many of your pictures. I had the otterbox symmetry on. I will never buy another edge screen. my note 4 and other phones never cracked a screen. The note 6 is coming out in a few months but dont think I can get att to take my phone back now even being repaired by samsung.

on a side note.. I see videos like these and I'm just amazed.. why many of these phones can withstand this and mine and few others crack with a simple breez? I'm thinking that some phone didnt get the gorllia glass 4 or there must be a bad batch?

Last edited:

Dr Awkward

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Over 1.1 million 7s and Edge 7s were sold nationwide in about ten days, Verizon sold 800,000 of them so its safe to say they are very popular. Try to get one tomorrow.
So seeing a few broken screens reported is not out of the norm yet some seem to want to make others think its a defect. It isn't.

As to carrying your shirt in a shirt pocket or vest pocket being undesirable, that's my preferred spot, just gotta' zip or seal the pockets. Glad the 5.5“ Edges will still fit there.

Last edited:

mikelwyatt0310

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Over 1.1 million 7s and Edge &s were sold nationwide in about ten days, Verizon sold 800,000 of them so its safe to say they are very popular. Try to get one tomorrow.
So seeing a few broken screens reported is not out of the norm yet some seem to want to make others think its a defect. It isn't.

As to carrying your shirt in a shirt pocket or vest pocket being undesirable, that's my preferred spot, just gotta' zip or seal the pockets. Glad the 5.5“ Edges will still fit there.

I pre-ordered the S7 Edge on March 9th. Received it on March 11th along with a casemate tough case. Phone went from out of the box straight into the case. 2 weeks later, I had the phone sitting on my work desk and accidentally brushed it off with my elbow. It dropped 3 ft from desk onto concrete floor that was covered by a rug . I was sick to my stomach but hey, the drop test on youtube said it would be alright. Nada...front was completely shattered. So, I called up my good buddies at Asurion and they gladly put me on the back order list for a replacement. 13 days later(Thursday 4-7) a brand new S7 Edge shows up. 15 minutes ago I am sitting at the same desk texting a friend and felt the phone slip right out of my hands Tried to catch it, no luck but did manage to slow it way down with my leg. I was relieved when I picked it up and the front screen was perfect. No cracks. Just for ****s and giggles, I removed the phone from the "tough case" to inspect the back. Shattered...FML I've never broken a phone screen before owning this phone.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
agreed. The phone is just released and there are many people so far that has/had issues. I hate to tell you but not every s7 edge owner visits this site so who knows how many really so far broke. It would be interesting to get info from samsung..

like how many screen replacements there have been with no edge phones compared to edge. Also how many to this date have been replaced or being sent in. What we DO know is that these phone are suppose to handle a reasonable drop and some of them are not. many from the pictures show damage in the curves. I ordered some tempered glass, but so far not many have made a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz