Samsung Pay

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I used it for the first time today. Was successful.

Question, if the machine has a chip reader will Pay still work?

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I think there might be information embedded into the magnetic strip of cards that have a chip in it that tells the machine the card has a chip. Since Samsung Pay doesn't, it shouldn't trip that. I've never had issues using Samsung Pay on card machines with active chip readers.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My understanding from the Samsung site is yes, but I can't verify that.

If I may partially hijack your thread :), I'm wondering if Pay will automatically turn on NFC on the cell. I keep NFC off and have not had a chance to try Pay at a vendor yet.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My understanding from the Samsung site is yes, but I can't verify that.

If I may partially hijack your thread :), I'm wondering if Pay will automatically turn on NFC on the cell. I keep NFC off and have not had a chance to try Pay at a vendor yet.

I tried it once and nfc automatically turned on

Posted via the Android Central App

Polen

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
You do not have to have NFC turned on. When you activate Samsung Pay with PIN or finger print, NFC turns on and then off when transmission stops. You can also verify this with your screen unlocked, open Samsung Pay by app icon, select credit card, activate with PIN or finger print, while it is pulsing swipe down from top to expose top of screen, you should see the NFC icon.

Another cool thing is Samsung Pay uses a different credit card number every time you activate it. At work we have USB card scanners and we opened up Notepad on the PC and held the phone over it and it popup the credit card info on the screen and every time we did it the number was different. Cool stuff.

Also, my card has a chip and Samsung Pay works just fine. Both NFC and MST.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've only had a failure happen once so far, at Whataburger of all places... Not sure why it didn't work. Meanwhile it work at CVS (pharmacy store) that the cashier said wouldn't work with Android or Apple pay.

Hapa_Dude

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
It didn't work for me once on a Clover terminal. Maybe I was holding it in the wrong spot or maybe because the guiderail where you slide the card was metal not plastic like all others. I'll try it again though next time I go to that restaurant for lunch.

Otherwise, the Samsung Pay is fast and convenient. Definitely a cool feature to have!

And yes, it works on Chip terminals.

Polen

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had a couple of failures. The credit card machine said Bad Card at HEB, Lowes and Sam's Club. Cool thing happened tonight at Jason's Deli. They don't have customer facing CC machines, but I said to the girl, "Can I pay with my phone?" and she said, "Do you have one of those COOL phones?" I said, "Yes!" She said, "Yes." So I reached over the counter to the card swipe on her cash register and it BEEPED and she handed me my receipt. Cashier are all asking, "What kind of phone do you have?" :cool:

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I still can't get it to work when I have to enter my PIN. I spoke with my bank and they said everything is authorized properly and everything. But whenever I have to enter a PIN I get invalid transaction.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
To the OP, the answer is probably yes.

If the card reader accepts both chipped and magnetic stripe cards, then it should work. When you try to swipe a chipped card, the card itself tells the read that it has a chip, and the reader will prompt you to insert the card instead of swiping it. When you use the same card through S.P., your phone doesn't tell the reader about the chip, so it processes it as a normal swipe transaction.

I was at one retailer recently, however, whose readers will no longer accept a magnetic swipe card at all. The slot where you would normally swipe was simply not there. I didn't try to use my phone, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't have worked.

Unless, that is, the reader is also equipped for NFC. Samsung Pay will use the NFC it it's available, and the mag reader if there is no NFC. I didn't notice whether these "slotless" readers had the NFC logo or not.

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Works great for me too. It's nice not having to pull credit or debit cards out of my wallet.

My only "issue" is that the transactions aren't being recorded in Samsung Pay. So, I'm not getting credit for the transactions and thus eligible for the promotions Samsung is offering. I'm a BBVA Compass customer and this is a known issue that BBVA is working through. Other cards (like my AmEx card) is working just fine. But again, that's a bank issue ,not a Samsung issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Works great for me too. It's nice not having to pull credit or debit cards out of my wallet.

My only "issue" is that the transactions aren't being recorded in Samsung Pay. So, I'm not getting credit for the transactions and thus eligible for the promotions Samsung is offering. I'm a BBVA Compass customer and this is a known issue that BBVA is working through. Other cards (like my AmEx card) is working just fine. But again, that's a bank issue ,not a Samsung issue.

Are you backing out of the payment right when it is done? You have to let it sit up and it will hit. I have noticed it not logging if I back out since it may take a few entries on the CC machine (like credit .. amount correct yes.. etc. etc.) but if I just leave it and continue on that it will pop up on Samsung Pay.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463