Samsung Pay awesome reactions

tpeter52

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hit & miss here in Clearwater Florida. Got it to work at Whole Foods and Petsmart but no go at Home Depot and the prevailing grocery - Publix. Seems like local management within the same store chain all have different policies on whether they'll accept contactless payment. The retailers are what's stagnating adoption... mistrust for some and then the ever ongoing effort by some retailers (Publix, Home Depot, Walmart and others) to develop their own solution, specifically MCX which has yet to get off the ground.

Dm1120

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Hit & miss here in Clearwater Florida. Got it to work at Whole Foods and Petsmart but no go at Home Depot and the prevailing grocery - Publix. Seems like local management within the same store chain all have different policies on whether they'll accept contactless payment. The retailers are what's stagnating adoption... mistrust for some and then the ever ongoing effort by some retailers (Publix, Home Depot, Walmart and others) to develop their own solution, specifically MCX which has yet to get off the ground.

If in doubt hold the phone over the card slot. It should work there even if NFC is disabled.

Posted via the Android Central App

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Loved using it on the work coke vending machine when I had the gs6 edge. Can't wait to get the gs7edge

Posted via the Android Central App

pcsperson

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I just had one (3/17/2016) of those Samsung moments, where I went to pay for a stamps at USPS . At first I was going to get this guy who was 70, and I was trying to think how to explain it to him. Then a women about 50 came out and asked to help me. I ask for the roll of 100 stamps, she rings it up I go to pay with my phone, then she said "you need to put your card in there". So I move the phone down a bit to where I should swipe the card and the screen goes blank, which is what should happen. I tell her the amount from the screen is gone and there is nothing more for me to do. She look at her screen and it says get the confirmation code, which my phone is displaying. I tell her 4 digits of the acre and she says "Whoa! I need to check with my supervisor if we can take this"

She leaves me with the stamps for 12 mins, then come back and says I need the confirmation number and I tell for for the 3rd time. She puts it in and a receipts pops, out she slammed it down and walks away.

I only when there because I check on the USPS news site said they accepted it.

Oh well. :)

src1425

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Ran shopping errands with the wife today - used it successfully at CVS, Barnes and Noble, Trader Joe's, and Justice, but froze the terminal at Home Depot (oops!) At CVS I tried it first on the NFC reader but got a message that because I have a chip card it needed to be inserted, so I tried again on the magnetic swipe and it went through. Four out of five ain't bad!

ugotkevin

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Man I had no idea how Samsung pay worked until reading this thread, I thought it was like apple pay and really didn't think anything of it. Well my first experience I went to Walmart, they have the chip readers that you have to put your card in the bottom slot. It initially went through and the signature box came up but then a second after that it got rejected. The cashier said the card issuer rejected the payment. Tried it a couple more times and the same thing. The cashier thought it was the coolest thing ever and now wants to go get a Samsung phone. Funny thing, even though the payment didn't go through Samsung still gave me my $30 gift card.

This morning I went to the local grocer but they have the NFC readers so naturally they weren't all that impressed but this evening I stopped by Safeway who has the old school readers. I held up my phone and it went right through. The cashier guy said, "What the heck!!??" and quickly grabbed the terminal and turned it around so he could see - which by then was blank. I tried to briefly explain how the phone could do that (I need to do a better job btw). I could have never imagined Samsung Pay could put such a big smile on my face :D

LanceAllan

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Open the Samsung Pay app... Open the menu (more tab) and click on events... See if it is in there

Sent from my Chrome™ Samsung S7 Edge

tpeter52

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Did that...a multitude of different angles.

I contacted Publix and they confirmed that it is supported, so I think maybe I didn't find the sweet spot. I'll try again later....I don't like to look like a fool for too long.:)

Built4Comfort

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Received my black GS7 Edge Thursday. Took Samsung Pay out for a test drive at our local grocery store this morning. Worked perfectly. Received the I had no idea you could do that from the clerk. My wife, an iPhone user, was very impressed. Almost immediately received my $30 gift card. Very cool!

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Does it have to be a specific card? I did on my debit card and no dice.

Yes, I can't remember but I'm sure you can search. I know for sure that BofA debit does not work with the offer.

ELIGIBLE CARDS: All Samsung Pay compatible credit and debit cards are eligible for this Offer except Bank of America debit cards and private label cards, which are not eligible for this Offer. Samsung Pay purchases made from Bank of America debit cards and private label cards will not count toward a successful purchase transaction (as described in Section 4). Users must use other Samsung Pay compatible cards in order to participate in this Offer. For more information on Samsung Pay compatible cards see: Which banks and credit cards are compatible with Samsung Pay?

Last edited:

kelela92

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
My Costco Amex works just fine.

Thanks. This makes me realize I need to update my original comment as not all AMEX's work because they're not all through the main AMEX bank (Centurion, I think). Costco and Delta are. USAA isn't, so my USAA AMEX doesn't work. :( Tried again today. Got the "card not supported" screen.