S7 Edge seriously not impressive - defective display, overheats... better battery life is good...

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I got an S7 Edge to replace an S6 Edge Plus. So far, the only thing that's actually improved is the sizing (good hand feel and ergonomics) and battery life (by maybe 20%, especially in idling ability).

Everything else though, Samsung still makes these defective displays left and right: 20160313_193636.jpg
Half left side red and half right side is blue. Very obvious when reading Kindle in the dark or any website really in a gray or dark screen.

Device gets HOT when doing anything intensive, and slows down significantly when trying to multi-task.

Disk performance is really lacking, it is not ANY faster than my S6 Edge plus on daily interface usage on 5.1.1 or a Note 5 on 6.0.1.

Everything else just seems to be the same, the only saving grace is that battery life is noticeably better in the Edge.

I will be most likely returning mine and not exchanging and playing the "non-defective samsung display" roulette (similar to the Apple display roulette but much more painful).

SR45

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear this, but mine has no issues with the screen. Your the first post thus far I've read about this bad screen being made left and right from Samsung. Perhaps others will weigh in. Take it back, get another or go with another manufacture.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
With a screen like that you should definitely return it and get another one.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As for your issue it sounds like you may have just got a lemon. My screen doesn't have that issue and if it did I would exchange.

As for the heat thing -- Any device heats up when put in intense situations. Mine only got "hot" when I was loading all my apps over LTE. After that the phone only gets a little warm when doing more intense tasks on it.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
That screen is definitely not good. A return is recommended.

Since you are going to return the device, you should check GSAM to see what the temperatures are reaching during intense activity (there is a graph with that information) so you can compare it with the new phone. This will give you an idea of what to expect.

Just to let you know, my phone does not go above 37ºC (98ºF) under any circumstances. This includes gaming and charging for extended periods of time. Please let us know what you find.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the red and blue hues like you when looking at a white screen, but just along the edges. I thought that was normal...?

The edges will always display discoloration due to the angle. But it should not be half and half like the OP's picture.

mrmugman

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, you must have received a lemon. Mine has been pretty flawless since I got it on 3/11. Return the one you have and get another one.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got an S7 Edge to replace an S6 Edge Plus. So far, the only thing that's actually improved is the sizing (good hand feel and ergonomics) and battery life (by maybe 20%, especially in idling ability).

Everything else though, Samsung still makes these defective displays left and right: View attachment 220186
Half left side red and half right side is blue. Very obvious when reading Kindle in the dark or any website really in a gray or dark screen.

Device gets HOT when doing anything intensive, and slows down significantly when trying to multi-task.

Disk performance is really lacking, it is not ANY faster than my S6 Edge plus on daily interface usage on 5.1.1 or a Note 5 on 6.0.1.

Everything else just seems to be the same, the only saving grace is that battery life is noticeably better in the Edge.

I will be most likely returning mine and not exchanging and playing the "non-defective samsung display" roulette (similar to the Apple display roulette but much more painful).

Have mine since last week and i'm not experienced any of your issue. You should return it and get a replacement.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Just returned and got a replacement. The display is better, on par with my S6 Edge Plus.

Heat wise is the same as the other one. CPU-Z reports the battery temps reach 36.5C - 37C. Of course, the actual SoC Reaches 60-70C. This was just downloading stuff and installing apps and doing updates, gets very hot.

One other thing I noticed is that Marshmallow has a slower interface speed than Lollipop! Ugh! It's the delay when tapping on an icon or hitting the back button, now is about the same speed as an iPhone 6S whereas my S6 Edge + responds to input much more immediately (despite having problems keeping apps in memory).

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Please remember the heat is being dispersed off the CPU that's causing the back of the phone to get warm. There is a copper pipe inside your phone google on it there's a tear down I wish I had to link show you. As far as the screen I have no issues like that on my screen as mentioned above take it back

Posted via the Android Central App

mrmugman

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just returned and got a replacement. The display is better, on par with my S6 Edge Plus.

Heat wise is the same as the other one. CPU-Z reports the battery temps reach 36.5C - 37C. Of course, the actual SoC Reaches 60-70C. This was just downloading stuff and installing apps and doing updates, gets very hot.

One other thing I noticed is that Marshmallow has a slower interface speed than Lollipop! Ugh! It's the delay when tapping on an icon or hitting the back button, now is about the same speed as an iPhone 6S whereas my S6 Edge + responds to input much more immediately (despite having problems keeping apps in memory).

When I first got mine the buttons were slow to respond due to all the app downloading / updating going on. After a few hours the key response was back to normal. Everything is nice and snappy.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Thought of turning off animations under the dev settings? Think you're nit picking personally, it's plenty fast and responsive IMO.

The back will get hot due to heat dispersal along the radiator pipe as already stated. Does cool pretty quickly mind.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Thought of turning off animations under the dev settings? Think you're nit picking personally, it's plenty fast and responsive IMO.

The back will get hot due to heat dispersal along the radiator pipe as already stated. Does cool pretty quickly mind.

It is noticeably slower than my S6 Edge Plus in normal phone navigation. It's probably a bit faster than an iPhone in interface nav but I can definitely notice the difference between Lollipop and Marshmallow. It's just more infuriating how Android always seems to take a step back somewhere in every new OS. I'd rather take the S7 Edge hardware with iOS at this point.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It is noticeably slower than my S6 Edge Plus in normal phone navigation. It's probably a bit faster than an iPhone in interface nav but I can definitely notice the difference between Lollipop and Marshmallow. It's just more infuriating how Android always seems to take a step back somewhere in every new OS. I'd rather take the S7 Edge hardware with iOS at this point.

I'd say this is faster than my Note 5. Not by a huge margin, but it's noticeable. I think the consensus here is that you got a lemon, but I'm guessing you're not of that mindset even though most personal accounts and pretty much every review states the opposite of what you're complaining about.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
In developer mode you change the speed of the animations so if that is your only gripe it's a simple tweak, you can even turn them off completely if you like :)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I noticed it's slower than the 6 edge plus also. It just takes some getting used to. Marshmallow is actually much smoother than lollipop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE