"Additional security" requiring pattern instead of finger print to unlock

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing their s7 edge randomly requiring you to input your secondary lock screen password instead of the designated finger print scanner I've set as my unlock method?

It'll just happen randomly. And too frequently too.

Anyone else experiencing this? Kind of frustrating because I only want to use finger print to unlock.

Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It only happens when the phone is restarted (either by you, or by the system)

I've noticed that, too, but the additional security happens even during normal use. And frequently. It truly is random. I've had it happen almost instantenously, and other times, not happen for a few hours. But either way, it's multiple times a day in regular use. No rebooting or anything.

Am I the only one experiencing this in normal use?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had it happen I think once during regular use. I actually don't mind it. Occasionally asking to make sure someone is not trying to fake my fingerprint is ok with me.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had it happen I think once during regular use. I actually don't mind it. Occasionally asking to make sure someone is not trying to fake my fingerprint is ok with me.

Occasionally, sure, but for me it's been happening frequently. Multiple times throughout the day, sometimes happening within minutes of using the device. It comes up very often.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same question and now that I read yours it's just like mine.
I think it's a bug and kills the one hand use when I need it to be one hand. like working at my keyboard and a message comes in I can't open the phone with my finger print.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Additional security" requiring pattern instead of finger print to unlock

If you turn off the screen using a regular Screen Off app, you'll be prompted for the pin. It's an Android Marshmallow security thing.

To have the convenience of using an app to turn off the screen & not get prompted for a pin, you have to use a screen off app like this one:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m.iglint.android.screenlockpro&token=yJfF4ZFv

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Holly crap! How did you know that?

I use a launcher that let's me double tap to turn the screen off and just like you said every time I do that I get prompted to use a pin when I turn the phone back on.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep, same here. I had an app that was turning the screen off. Anytime that happened, it would ask for the secondary unlock method.

Annoying. I guess apps need to get updated to MM.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, and I'm not using any screen off app of any type. I am using Nova, but don't have any action set to turn off the screen. It seems to happen after I install a new app, which is fine, but it happens randomly, too. Sometimes after I get a notification.

Hmm, I'm using Lightflow, I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. Will have to see if it's consistently after LF notifications, and then disable LF and see if that affects anything.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Holly crap! How did you know that?

I use a launcher that let's me double tap to turn the screen off and just like you said every time I do that I get prompted to use a pin when I turn the phone back on.

I knew this b/c us Nexus users have been experiencing this since sept of last year when Marshmallow came out. 😝

RSindian

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing also with Nova launcher installed with the screen off and lock app. It happens everytime I use the double tap to turn off the screen app.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, I'm using Lightflow, I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. Will have to see if it's consistently after LF notifications, and then disable LF and see if that affects anything.

Looks like my problem was Lightflow. I've uninstalled it and no more prompts to enter a pin. Too bad, as I really liked lightflow. I'm going to try reinstalling and changing a couple of settings, and see if that might make a difference.

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this issue as well - frequently, about every other hour or so. I didn't have this issue when I used Nova's double tap feature to turn off my screen, nor did I have the issue when I installed Gravity for the proximity sensor power-on.

I think the culprit for my phone is a combination of one or both of those apps + smart lock. The other day I set my workplace to be a safe spot for my phone to remain unlocked and it's constantly asking for my PIN for additional security. May have to tinker with the apps to see what's going on there, it's getting annoying and makes the smart lock feature pointless.

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing also with Nova launcher installed with the screen off and lock app. It happens everytime I use the double tap to turn off the screen app.

This is because you have Nova as a device administrator. Disable the admin access and the problem goes away.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
And you can tell when it's about to happen cause the lockscreen will say "swipe screen to unlock" instead of "Use finger to unlock."

Do you always swipe or have you tried using your fingerprint? I ask because I have my house as a location where the security is turned off, so the lock screen says swipe, but it works just fine with my fingerprint if I have used the home key to turn the screen on (it is quicker than swiping if my finger is already on the button).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463