All,

Before I can sell one of the GS7e phones on Swappa that I got via the T-Mobile BOGO, do I have to pay off the EIP in order to have a clean ESN/IMEI, or can I just go ahead and sell it since I owe the money to T-Mobile no matter what? I have only activated one of the phones, the other is still pristine. The only thing I did was turn it on to make sure it works, went through the initial process but didn't enter any data/accounts.
    03-14-2016 07:05 PM
    Swappa requires that you pay off the eip before selling. You can sell through various other sources if you do not wish to pay off the eip
    badMojo69 likes this.
    03-14-2016 07:08 PM
    They do an esn check for your device before you can list it.

Out of curiosity how does t-mobile to the bogo? Do they just bill you and credit you for the same amount? If that's the case then I guess technically if you defaulted on your bill at some point they could blacklist the esn/imei. Most buyers won't touch anything that was purchase on contract or still under installment plan. And if they handle the free one like I asked above, it's still technically under an installment.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-14-2016 07:11 PM

Out of curiosity how does t-mobile to the bogo? Do they just bill you and credit you for the same amount? If that's the case then I guess technically if you defaulted on your bill at some point they could blacklist the esn/imei. Most buyers won't touch anything that was purchase on contract or still under installment plan. And if they handle the free one like I asked above, it's still technically under an installment.

T-Mobile will blacklist if the EIP is not paid. Just search Google how they track phones for sale on the various websites. This was more a problem when they used to offer discounted phones with two year contracts but they still do this with EIP phones.

The BOGO promo requires a new line added and both phones have to be paid on an EIP. Yo can do anything you want once the phone is paid off.
    03-14-2016 07:55 PM
    T-Mobile will blacklist if the EIP is not paid. Just search Google how they track phones for sale on the various websites. This was more a problem when they used to offer discounted phones with two year contracts but they still do this with EIP phones.

The BOGO promo requires a new line added and both phones have to be paid on an EIP. Yo can do anything you want once the phone is paid off.
    Thanks for the response. In that case don't think the OP will be able to sell on swappa and would be hard to sell to any knowledgeable seller elsewhere. Thanks again.

03-14-2016 08:04 PM
    Yeah bud they'll put the brakes on you selling there once you enter the IMEI. As soon as you get that card just apply it to the balance. You'll have to keep the line open 4 months but that's a small amount to pay for a phone you're gonna sell for 550.

03-14-2016 08:12 PM

They treat it like a rebate. You put the phone on the new line on installment plans. After 6-8 weeks you get a card in the mail for the price of the phone so you can pay it off. After that you can do whatever you want with it.
    03-14-2016 10:18 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I figured the EIP would have to be paid off first before the phone could be sold.
    03-15-2016 07:36 AM
    Personally I would payoff now perhaps with credit card . If you wait until you get the rebate then that can be several months and the price may drop substantially. Of course you have to weigh it against interest on the credit card for a few months.
    03-15-2016 02:14 PM
    Personally I would payoff now perhaps with credit card . If you wait until you get the rebate then that can be several months and the price may drop substantially. Of course you have to weigh it against interest on the credit card for a few months.
    Paying it off myself won't be a problem, I was just curious as to how it worked. Now that I know for sure then I can go ahead, pay it off and then put it up for sale
    03-15-2016 02:27 PM
    Has anybody confirmed the verification process T-Mobile will be using for the rebate? I've been reading on the SlickDeals thread about the deal that T-Mobile wants to see the IMEI registered under the newly activated line in order to verify the rebate. I'm not taking my chances with a $770 rebate so I opened and inserted the SIM of the newly activated line into the assigned GS7e and made a phone call on it. Now I see the device on my T-Mobile online account assigned to the line and I'm going to wait the month or so until the rebate card arrives before I sell the phone and cancel the line.

I initially was just going to keep the 2nd phone sealed and pay-off/sell immediately, but I don't want to mess up the rebate process!
    03-15-2016 02:40 PM