Can someone explain wireless charging?

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to bring this up again but I think my question got buried in one of the wireless charging threads and I am still a little confused. So tell me if I have this right...you need a pad and a charger? And to be fast charging, both the pad and the charger need to be fast charging? I guess the charger is the part I am confused about. For now and for past phones, I just have a small surge protector with a couple of USB outlets in it which I plug in a USB cable to charge the phone. Can you just plug a wireless pad into that as well, or do you actually need a specific charger to plug it in to? Do the USB ports in the surge protector just need to be a certain amp/watt output? I would appreciate any kind of clarification as to how this works. Thank you.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to bring this up again but I think my question got buried in one of the wireless charging threads and I am still a little confused. So tell me if I have this right...you need a pad and a charger? And to be fast charging, both the pad and the charger need to be fast charging? I guess the charger is the part I am confused about. For now and for past phones, I just have a small surge protector with a couple of USB outlets in it which I plug in a USB cable to charge the phone. Can you just plug a wireless pad into that as well, or do you actually need a specific charger to plug it in to? Do the USB ports in the surge protector just need to be a certain amp/watt output? I would appreciate any kind of clarification as to how this works. Thank you.

To do wireless fast charge you need Samsung's unit. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01...arging+pad&dpPl=1&dpID=31l9FdQT7tL&ref=plSrch

I don't know of another manufacture that has this tech, and honestly I wouldn't trust it.

Now if you just want a normal qi charging pad, those are a dime a dozen. This is a favorite of mine: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00...arger+tylt&dpPl=1&dpID=31LvyBFAD9L&ref=plSrch

Both links I shared have all the necessary equipment to charge your s7 or s7 edge out of the box. Just plug it into the wall and set your phone on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I don't really care about fast charging because it can take all night charge as far as I am concerned while I am sleeping. I see the Tylt vu comes with an AC adapter where most of the pads don't. So if I just wanted a pad and didn't care about fast charging, could I basically get any pad and plug it into any kind of USB wall adapter? Thanks for the help.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much. Though if you leave your phone on I dont know if you plan on sleeping 12 hours a day.. hahah

On Amazon there are a few 10w fast chargers and with a QC 2.0 it will be a good 2 hours with phone off and 3-4 on. Mine works great at my desk.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site

To do wireless charging you need the wireless charging pad and a power supply. You can use the power strips usb connections, but they may not supply enough power to charge as fast as you like. Now fast charging is a technology that has to be built into both the pad and the phone. But conventional charging also requires enough power to meet standard charging rates. A computer usb port can only supply .5 Amps. Many power cubes 1 Amp. Better Cubes supply 2 Amps. A charging pad needs its specified amount to meet its specified charging rate. Fast charging needs whatever is specified to meet its specified rate. Regular wireless charging less, but still needs its specified amount to meet its specified rate. Your power strip has a rated output of Amps. What is it? Your charging pad requests a rated output to be connected, is the power strip at least that amount?

Did that help?

rkkeller

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
20160314_155124.jpg

This is the cheaper Samsung branded wireless charger. It is a normal speed one and can be found for a reasonable price if you look around. All you do is set your phone on it, nothing special.

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
This helps a lot. The power cube I plug into is 3.1 A and a couple other adapters I have laying around here are 2 A. So as long as the charger is more than the pad's minimum requirements I should be good, right? Can a charger be too high for the phone, or does the phone automatically control how much power it is receiving?

To do wireless charging you need the wireless charging pad and a power supply. You can use the power strips usb connections, but they may not supply enough power to charge as fast as you like. Now fast charging is a technology that has to be built into both the pad and the phone. But conventional charging also requires enough power to meet standard charging rates. A computer usb port can only supply .5 Amps. Many power cubes 1 Amp. Better Cubes supply 2 Amps. A charging pad needs its specified amount to meet its specified charging rate. Fast charging needs whatever is specified to meet its specified rate. Regular wireless charging less, but still needs its specified amount to meet its specified rate. Your power strip has a rated output of Amps. What is it? Your charging pad requests a rated output to be connected, is the power strip at least that amount?

Did that help?

NuMotiv

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I bought the new samsung fast charge wireless pad (says right on the top) and plug it in to the adapter that came with my phone. Works beautifully.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You don't need Samsung's specific fast charger. Most fast charge wireless pads will fast charge your phone if you pair it with a Quick Charge 2.0 wall charger.

I use the Samsung Quick Charge adapter that came with the phone with this charging pad:

Amazon.com: KMASHI Fast Wireless Charger ,Wireless Charging Pad for Galaxy S7,Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Note 5,Galaxy S6 Plus, S6 Edge+ and other QI Enabled Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

And I use this charging pad with a Tronsmart Quick Charge adapter that I found on Amazon for work:

Amazon.com: Fast Wireless Charger,Yootech QI Fast Charge Wireless Charger charging pad for Samsung Galaxy S7,Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus[Adaptive Fast Charger NOT Included]: Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm not quite sure the circuitry on your USB outlets in your surge protector, but the key is to make sure that it's Quick Charge 2.0 compatible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463