Gear VR: I am diggin' it!

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could recall the forum I was on, but they were saying you can load your own movie files onto your phone and watch it with your GVR including 3D movies. The stipulation there is you need to create a separate folder (can't remember if you call it "3D" or just any folder or not) in order for that to work. I don't have mine yet, but I'm anxious to see how this works as well.
You can access your gallery (photos and videos) right from your opening menu. It's easy. I don't have 3D movies, but I have a lot of regular movies. The resolution is not so hot for these, however.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Holy **** thats awesome. Hows the quality of the videos is it like pixelated?

Posted via the Android Central App
It's not pixelated. It's good. And since you are watching from a 360 degree environment (your luxurious mountain mansion) sometimes, when there's a wide shot in the film, you can get a 3D feel.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Full disclosure: I am a 67 year old woman. I do not do the gaming that other users would probably get a greater kick out of. My uses are more limited, and even I love it. I have been going to the Ocean Rift experience recently, and it's great. You get to swim around under the ocean; I actually yelled out (and laughed) when a large manatee swam right up to me or when I was in a shark cage and a great white came right at me.
For Netflix alone it is worth it. You get to watch movies/tv shows on the big (theatre sized) screen from the luxurious interior of my mountain side mansion (my media room is a grand two story environment - I must be rather affluent) from the comfort of my actual life bed.
The first night I used this I sprung for a paid movie, "The Martian" in 3D. It was wonderful, but the free stuff alone is good, and, since the apparatus itself was free, well how could I go wrong?
Really happy with this. Can you tell?

Hi barskin!

Awesome that you love the Gear VR. Also awesome that a refined mature woman such as yourself takes the time to teach some of these youngsters a thing or two :)

Anyhoo, I'm going to ask you to do me a favor. Can you get comfy and try the National Geographic sample video with the helicopter? I know that's a vague description, I found it in the featured block in the videos section of the Gear VR menu if that helps.

I've found that the Gear VR isolates me from the real world so well that some videos (that one in particular) gives me some serious motion sickness. The kind that makes you glad you have hardwood floors, and requires a mop. It does the same thing to my wife — who is also a refined mature lady :) but doesn't affect my kids (in their late twenties) or my neighbor's teenage daughter.

I'm curious to see if it might be something to do with younger folks versus older folks, and your input would be greatly appreciated.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm really liking the gear vr too just a question though where exactly are the games saved to I can't find the location and is there any way to uninstall some of the games we downloaded?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't to gaming and I sold mine to a co-worker for sixty bucks. My husband still has his and he's wanting to try it but we're planning on selling his too but now it makes me want to try it after reading here.

SprintFun

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
vr seems good ..but can it a be a really helpful device in day to day life ?
what do you mean, to like help cure cancer? To me there's no doubt its a novelty, but it's really cool. The Netflix is great, the short videos are good too. Don't waste your time on the Cirque show, it is only like a 3 minute clip

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Lasted about 5 minutes. Ive got a problem with motion sickness. Bummer because it was really cool. : (

This is not an uncommon side effect of VR and other simulators, often caused by the inconsistent messages to the brain from the eyes and the vestibular system. Many people who get motion sickness, don't suffer if they view VR content in which they are not changing directions. In other words, viewing content in which they are either not moving or moving only in a straight line, doesn't cause the motion sickness.

ujprete

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
If you use the surround shot mode of your camera it will store it in the gallery then load your phone in the vr and relive those vacation photos like never before just be sure and fill the whole little ball up when taking the pic

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
what do you mean, to like help cure cancer? To me there's no doubt its a novelty, but it's really cool. The Netflix is great, the short videos are good too. Don't waste your time on the Cirque show, it is only like a 3 minute clip

Hey, SprintFun, another video in the not-curing-cancer category, have you watched the short, Sonar? Oooh, it is freak-y.

stylon69

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm struggling with mine a little - I wear varifocal glasses and just can't seem to find the sweet-spot where everything is in focus. I've tried not wearing them but I run out out adjustment on the wheel just before it all comes into focus. If I wear my glasses I still struggle to get focus because my glasses are pushed right up close onto my face... after a short while my glasses steam up too...

Anyone in a similar position who has found a solution?

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
vr seems good ..but can it a be a really helpful device in day to day life ?

I don't think it was meant to be practical or helpful in every day life. It's for gaming and to add another perspective on how we'll be using our phones in the future. Definitely not practical for every day life at the moment but I can assure you some genius is going to find a way to make VR useful for every day life. Just wait

Geotig

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone in a similar position who has found a solution?

I think it depends on you sight problem. In my dad's case (myopia and astigmatism), he just needs to take off his lens and play a little with the distance between the eyes and the screen. (using Google Cardboard here, as I don't have a Samsung phone right now)

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You can access your gallery (photos and videos) right from your opening menu. It's easy. I don't have 3D movies, but I have a lot of regular movies. The resolution is not so hot for these, however.

Where do you find your gallery in oculus I looked everywhere, and can we uninstall directly from the oculus menu?

Thanks