Dramatic Standby Battery Improvement

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
So, I've been amazed with the phenomenal battery life of the S7 edge (7-8 hours SOT for me) but have been perplexed that the Standby drain on WiFi (3% per hour) was more than the Standby drain on LTE (roughly 1% per hour). Finally figured out what was causing it. WiFi Scanning runs hard when the phone is "asleep" and on WiFi causing WiFi Standby battery drain noticeably higher than LTE Standby drain.

Turned off WiFi Scanning along with Bluetooth scanning and now Standby drain is 1% per hour on both WiFi and LTE. Amazing!

WiFi Scanning (and Bluetooth Scanning) is pretty hidden so you can find it under Settings > Privacy and Safety > Location > Improve accuracy

kpxstar9

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
So, I've been amazed with the phenomenal battery life of the S7 edge (7-8 hours SOT for me) but have been perplexed that the Standby drain on WiFi (3% per hour) was more than the Standby drain on LTE (roughly 1% per hour). Finally figured out what was causing it. WiFi Scanning runs hard when the phone is "asleep" and on WiFi causing WiFi Standby battery drain noticeably higher than LTE Standby drain.

Turned off WiFi Scanning along with Bluetooth scanning and now Standby drain is 1% per hour on both WiFi and LTE. Amazing!

WiFi Scanning (and Bluetooth Scanning) is pretty hidden so you can find it under Settings > Privacy and Safety > Location > Improve accuracy
Does turning either of those off affect location accuracy?

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Does turning either of those off affect location accuracy?

Perhaps, but I haven't noticed a thing at all and the phone can still get accurate location information from the cell tower, GPS and WiFi (it's just not always scanning at every moment draining your battery).

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have WiFi Scanning along with Bluetooth scanning both turned on and my standby drain is only 0.3 - 0.4% per hour. As I understand it wifi scanning only uses when an app is requesting or reporting location information. You might want to check the Battery Usage under "Recent location requests" (Also in Location Settings) to see which apps driving the usage. You may be able to apply a more surgical solution than turning off wifi and bluetooth scanning.