BAD experience, I'm out....

rbiowa

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I received my new S7 Edge on Tuesday the 8th. Moving from an iPhone 6s Plus. Love the phone. Feels great in your hand. Would have enjoyed sticking with it, but.... Last night when I got on my flight from Atlanta, I went to turn the phone off and found that the on/off button no longer worked. I then tried the volume up button, it works, but the volume down button doesn't. Haven't dropped it. In fact it's still pristine. I went online this morning with Verizon and was instructed to go a company store and exchange it. Over lunch I went to Verizon and was told that they don't have 'any' in stock and aren't expecting any until early next month. To be fair it's because I have the infamous Silver S7 Edge. I asked, what I was supposed to do in the meantime. Could I get a loaner? No, rather abruptly, I was told to call Samsung. I called Samsung and was on hold for 22 minutes and 35 seconds until a CS representative came on the line. I was told that I could send it in for repair. I replied that it's only 9 days old, I want it replaced. She said the only way to get a replacement is to see my service provider. Samsung will only repair. So, since I'm in my 14 day window and I haven't sold my iPhone yet, I'm returning it tomorrow and reactivating my 6S plus. Sorry, I tried to switch, but I'm quite sure that I would have gotten a more satisfactory response with Apple in a timely manner. Bad service from Verizon, worse from Samsung. I should also add that I have 4 cell phone lines, 3 iPad lines, home phone and jet pack from Verizon. Obviously they don't care about how much $$$ I spend with them monthly.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Tried another Verizon store to see if they have one in stock? Considered a different color if you want an immediate replacement locally?

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You could also still get the replacement and when it finally arrives give it another chance. There are always going to be some defective units sadly.
I too would be very unhappy that my brand new phone went south and that my telco didn't have any replacements :(

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Customer service (at least here in the UK) is horrendous. I got my son a Galaxy J5 at Christmas for his 1st phone. It would completely freeze up several times a day and only be fixed by pulling the battery out. I phoned customer services and got put through to their 3rd party repair company. I posted them the phone and they just sent it back saying there's nothing wrong with it. Not once but twice! I gave up in the end and bought him a Moto G 3rd gen instead. I'm just hoping my new s7 edge doesn't have any issues like yourself. Like you say Apple Customer service is a million miles away from that and I've taken faulty phones into the Apple store and had them replaced easily after a short appointment to the genius bar.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
A couple things:

1. Apple will obviously only be able to exchange a phone if they have it in stock too. I have ran into issues not being able to exchange because of this when the iPhone 6+ came out.
  2. Nope, VZW doesn't care one bit about how much you spend with them monthly.
  3. Even if they did, they can't exchange your phone if they literally have none in stock. Not sure how your monthly expenditure with them would affect the inventory levels of a phone.

rbiowa

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I live in rural Iowa. There is only one Verizon store within 75 miles. Really want the silver color. Besides, the iPhone that I have only one complaint about (how it feels in my hand) is there and works fantastic.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Not that I'm praising Verizon here, but how is it bad customer service on Verizon's part? They don't have any brand new phones in stock and can't really do much for you at this point (which is Samsung's issue, not theirs) - did you try asking for another color?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
And if you really wanted the S7 Edge you could return the one you have, use the iPhone in the meantime, and then just buy it again when they're back in stock.

rbiowa

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Once again, if they offered a loaner phone I wouldn't either. But, dismissive attitude from the store representative... He didn't even offer a number for Samsung support...

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I had that happen with my iPhone 6 Plus. Preordered the day it went on sale. Got it on time. It didn't work properly. Went to Verizon. None in stock. Called Apple. I could get it exchanged at the nearest Apple store. Unfortunately, that was 200 miles away. No thanks. had to wait 3 weeks for a replacement from Verizon.

I get a kick out of people who say they have X amount of lines, that somehow they are entitled to something.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd have been happy with a loaner and it didn't need to be an S7 Edge....

No carriers will do loaner phones. That invites way too much hassle for them from actually getting the loaner back, to a loaner being returned damaged, and all that. Especially if you have a phone (your iPhone) you could use.

Brett1024

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Did you try holding down the power button and top volume rocker. Not sure if that will work but someone else had a problem and they did the reboot that way and it worked.

Brett1024

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Actually I'm almost positive this will work. Hold down for 7-8 seconds, the s7s came with buttons that do this sometimes. (Hopefully this will be fixed in an update as it seems like a software issue.)

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I had that happen with my iPhone 6 Plus. Preordered the day it went on sale. Got it on time. It didn't work properly. Went to Verizon. None in stock. Called Apple. I could get it exchanged at the nearest Apple store. Unfortunately, that was 200 miles away. No thanks. had to wait 3 weeks for a replacement from Verizon.

I get a kick out of people who say they have X amount of lines, that somehow they are entitled to something.

I had the exact same experience with Apple. In fact, they would not even acknowledge the order for the new one until I mailed the defective one back to them (there is no Apple store close to me). It took almost two months to get the phone I had pre-ordered. I waited three weeks from the pre-order date to receive the defective phone and then another month for the replacement. Apple is no better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I live in rural Iowa. There is only one Verizon store within 75 miles. Really want the silver color. Besides, the iPhone that I have only one complaint about (how it feels in my hand) is there and works fantastic.

Does that make using the iPhone while you wait for the replacement to come into stock an option? Verizon seems to be doing what they can to help, but their hands are a little tied by a phone that was released last week in limited quantities. I'm also in Iowa - I could check at some stores in this area and see if they could ship to your store.

Brett1024

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I received my new S7 Edge on Tuesday the 8th. Moving from an iPhone 6s Plus. Love the phone. Feels great in your hand. Would have enjoyed sticking with it, but.... Last night when I got on my flight from Atlanta, I went to turn the phone off and found that the on/off button no longer worked. I then tried the volume up button, it works, but the volume down button doesn't. Haven't dropped it. In fact it's still pristine. I went online this morning with Verizon and was instructed to go a company store and exchange it. Over lunch I went to Verizon and was told that they don't have 'any' in stock and aren't expecting any until early next month. To be fair it's because I have the infamous Silver S7 Edge. I asked, what I was supposed to do in the meantime. Could I get a loaner? No, rather abruptly, I was told to call Samsung. I called Samsung and was on hold for 22 minutes and 35 seconds until a CS representative came on the line. I was told that I could send it in for repair. I replied that it's only 9 days old, I want it replaced. She said the only way to get a replacement is to see my service provider. Samsung will only repair. So, since I'm in my 14 day window and I haven't sold my iPhone yet, I'm returning it tomorrow and reactivating my 6S plus. Sorry, I tried to switch, but I'm quite sure that I would have gotten a more satisfactory response with Apple in a timely manner. Bad service from Verizon, worse from Samsung. I should also add that I have 4 cell phone lines, 3 iPad lines, home phone and jet pack from Verizon. Obviously they don't care about how much $$$ I spend with them monthly.

Hold down the volume button and power button for 7-8 seconds. The phone will reset and it should fix the buttons. Hope this hehlps