08-04-2016 11:51 AM
67 123
tools
    Can some one help me find a resource for what these applications do? Googleing dosen't seem to be very helpful i just get the same articles telling me to disable them and not what they are for. Also the "google it" button in the app appears to be broken for me any idea what would cause this?
    04-04-2016 08:55 AM
    Is there any benefit at all with modern Android, deactivating apps, and the way it handles storage? Does it treat an active and a deactivated app exactly the same in terms of how it (would potebtially) access each? I'm sort of thinking here of the way Windows can Defrag mentioned and "prioritize" stored apps and data.

Are all stored apps exactly the same on Android (not asking about running on background, etc...just speedier access, etc.).

~Kevin
    Posted via the Android Central App
    The reason I do it is so I don't have to continually receive update notifications which I either have to keep ignoring or do the updates. I'm 100% OTA, if I need WiFi I have to make a trip to town.

Saves me time and data.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-04-2016 09:35 AM
    Then there is a button to disable all bloatware?
    04-14-2016 03:01 AM
    Has anyone with a Verizon S7 used pd to disable the "system updates" package? Back when I had root with my note 3, I used Titanium to freeze this and it kept the system update notification from popping up all the time, but I am not sure disabling packages is quite the same as freezing them with root. I am holding off updating for now to see if any root methods come through. Thanks!
    04-15-2016 11:56 PM
    -If you use cut/paste or copy paste, do not disable either of the clipboards in the list.
    -Galaxy Apps controls updates on the edge screen.
    -Settings Receiver affects the Direct Access functions in Accessibility
    Will continue to update as I find other "do not's" for the s7 edge.
    MoshuXXL likes this.
    04-26-2016 12:27 PM
    I know that I just posted this in another thread, but I feel that this may be helpful to the community at large to see what can safely be disabled on your new S7 Edge. I am basically going for the least amount of stuff possible (as close to nexus as I can), but still keeping things available that I find useful (like Samsung Pay). Here is a total list of everything I've disabled (on Verizon...not sure what other carrier's lists look like) - 112 items total:

Access Cloud
    AllShare FileShare Serivce
    Amazon
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon Music
    ANT + DUT
    ANT HAL Service
    ANT Radio Service
    ANT+ Plugins Service
    Assistant Menu
    Basic Daydreams
    BBCAgent
    BeaconManager
    Bluetooth MIDI Service
    Briefing
    Briefing feed
    Calendar
    Caller Name ID
    Camera test
    CarmodeStub
    ChocoEUKor
    ClipboardSaveService
    CLipboardUIService
    Cloud
    Color adjustment
    com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
    com.android.sharedstoragebackup
    com.android.wallpapercropper
    com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
    com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
    com.sec.android.app.minimode.res
    com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker
    Control TV
    CoolEUKor
    DeviceTest
    Dictionary
    Drive
    Email
    Foundation
    Galaxy Apps
    Galaxy Essentials Widget
    Gear VR Service
    Gear VR SetupWizardStub
    Gear VR Shell
    go90
    Hancom Office 2014
    Health Service
    Help
    Highlight Video Player
    IMS Settings
    Keis Application BnR
    KNOX
    KnoxAppsUpdateAgent
    Live wallpaper picker
    LLKAgent
    Magnifier
    MDMApp
    Memo
    Message+
    My InfoZone
    My interest
    My Places
    My Verizon MObile
    Nearby devices
    Nearby Service
    NFL Mobile
    Personal Data Management
    Photo Screensavers
    Photos
    Private Mode Service
    Quick Connect
    RoseEUKor
    S Finder
    S Health
    S Voice App
    Safety Information
    Samsung ApexService
    Samsung Content Agent
    Samsung Galaxy
    Samsung Gear
    Samsung Keyboard
    Samsung Location SDK
    SAmsung Milk Music
    Samsung MirrorLink 1.1
    Samsung Push Service
    Samsung text-to-speech engine
    SamsungDLPSerivce
    SapaMOnitor
    Screen MIrrioring
    SecurityLogAgent
    Settings Receiver
    Slacker Radio
    Smart Switch
    Smart Switch Agent
    Spanish Language Pack
    Support & Protection
    TalkBack
    TouchWiz easy home
    Verizon Location Agent
    Verizon Login
    Verizon Store Demo Mode
    Virtual Tour
    Voice Assistant
    Voice Service
    Voice wake-up
    VPN Client
    VpnDialogs
    VZ Navigator
    vzw_api
    VZW_Multicast_MW
    VZWAPN
    withTV

Feel free to let me know if there are more things I can add to this list that you've safely disabled without issues!

EDIT: Round 2:
    AASAserivce
    Clock (Installed standard Google Clock)
    CMHProvider
    com.samsung.dcmservice
    com.samsung.enhanceservice
    com.samsung.faceservice
    com.samsung.hs20provider
    com.samsung.InputEventApp
    com.samsung.ipservice
    com.Samsung.storyservice
    com.samsung.vzw.huxhtmlviewer
    Game Launcher
    Game Tools
    GamepadService
    GameService
    Safety assistance
    Simple sharing
    SLLibrary
    SmartCallProvider
    SmartcardManager
    SmartcardService
    SmartFaceService
    Man no love for Amazon or the stock email or calendar. I find those are actuallly better than gmail or its calendar. Funny how those are my most used apps and you have them all disabled.
    04-26-2016 01:45 PM
    Man no love for Amazon or the stock email or calendar. I find those are actuallly better than gmail or its calendar. Funny how those are my most used apps and you have them all disabled.
    I actually install the Play store version of Amazon Shopping over the pre-baked one - I'm more comfortable with things that go through the play store.

And everyone has preferences. I hate 3rd party email apps - I really like Gmail and Google Calendar for my needs. That's why we have choice on android! Lol.
    04-27-2016 08:27 AM
    I've now updated the initial post with some methodology that I've recently discovered over at XDA which has gained me about another hour of screen on time - here is the thread in reference:

{GUIDE} Tips that helped me improve my S7 Ed… - Pg. 3 | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

I never deleted all app data prior to disabling packages when I did my list. While I did get better battery life, I can say that after a couple more days of testing that deleting all of the app's data prior to disabling does make a positive impact. I would recommend everyone re-enable anything they disabled, clear the data (right in Package disabler pro) and then quickly re-disable again and do a reboot. It has made difference for me.
    04-29-2016 12:41 PM
    I have turned off AOD since I finally got my gear s2 and did what you said above me marlin29311. My battery life definitely has gotten better but I'm not sure from what though. But thanks!
    05-01-2016 05:38 PM
    I notice one of the apps disabled was uber. Did that come preinstalled? My Verizon S7E didn't. That would be a bit much.

I wonder how their insurance company feels about commercial use. Taxis pay about 8k.
    05-02-2016 01:57 PM
    I've tried to install different versions 5.1 and the latest 6.1 and all I get is "please wait for license activation" and it never does anything else. I've restarted the phone and still nothing happens.
    05-02-2016 02:03 PM
    I found this list which I think may be helpful. http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...emove-big.html
    dpham00 likes this.
    05-07-2016 09:26 PM
    I have now attached the xml file directly from package disabler pro (in a zip format as I had to in order to post it) and posted it to the first post of this thread. There are 164 things that I have disabled that are all safe to do and have had 0 effects on the base functionality of the phone (though I have disabled the edge screen, AOD, and some random stuff like Clock).

Enjoy!
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-11-2016 09:01 AM
    I have now attached the xml file directly from package disabler pro (in a zip format as I had to in order to post it) and posted it to the first post of this thread. There are 164 things that I have disabled that are all safe to do and have had 0 effects on the base functionality of the phone (though I have disabled the edge screen, AOD, and some random stuff like Clock).

Enjoy!
    Do you have to manually clear data for each app or is it a one time button press? Seems like a lot of work to clear data 164 times!
    05-11-2016 10:30 AM
    I know that it's been mentioned above that making sure to clear app data before disabling makes a difference.

Also, something over on XDA that I'm not sure made it to this thread, is to go back through the packages you've disabled and look for any that are running regardless (after a reboot of course).

Enable those packages running despite being disabled, as having them disabled when they run regardless seems to impact battery life negatively.

I'm using EZ Package Disabler now, and with that app it's fairly easy to filter by disabled, enabled, running, etc. That helps with this particular check.

When I checked my disabled packages, I wound up enabling maybe a half dozen services that were running despite my having them disabled. This seemed to indeed improve my battery life a bit afterward.

FWIW. YMMV. LLAP.
    marlin29311 and MoshuXXL like this.
    05-11-2016 10:39 AM
    Game Launcher can save a ton of battery. Unless you never play games.
    Using it can save a ton of battery or not using it?
    05-11-2016 05:46 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I am going to try it out for a few days and see if it helps.
    05-31-2016 01:38 PM
    For some reason the file only downloaded as a zip. Not really sure what to do with it
    05-31-2016 04:57 PM
    I believe that zip file is a data file for the App that will disable all the packages the OP has disabled. Kind like a backup file so you can easily restore the disable packages if you get another phone.

I did this process yesterday with a few exceptions and I am initially seeing better battery life. Will keep everyone posted.
    06-01-2016 07:24 AM
    For some reason the file only downloaded as a zip. Not really sure what to do with it
    The .zip file contains an xml file within it that you will need to unzip and then just save on your device. The forum does not allow for the posting of an xml file, so I zipped it so I could share. Just unzip the file, save it on the phone, and then within Package Disabler Pro you have the option to "Import from xml" and then you can load it there.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-01-2016 08:28 AM
    Im not seeing a clear the data option in package disabler pro. Where is it located?
    06-01-2016 09:38 AM
    The .zip file contains an xml file within it that you will need to unzip and then just save on your device. The forum does not allow for the posting of an xml file, so I zipped it so I could share. Just unzip the file, save it on the phone, and then within Package Disabler Pro you have the option to "Import from xml" and then you can load it there.
    I did all that but didn't see how it loaded anything. Thanks for your response though
    06-01-2016 01:14 PM
    I did all that but didn't see how it loaded anything. Thanks for your response though
    When you go to hit import, did you select the file that you saved on your phone? When you are done importing, all of the packages should be disabled.
    love4speechless likes this.
    06-01-2016 01:44 PM
    Im not seeing a clear the data option in package disabler pro. Where is it located?
    If you click where the name is on the package you want to disable (not on the check mark part) it will pop up with another window. From this window you can click on clear data and the disable it. Then just hit the back button to get back to the package list.

UltiMatDan likes this.
    06-01-2016 01:57 PM
    When you go to hit import, did you select the file that you saved on your phone? When you are done importing, all of the packages should be disabled.
    My phone was still showing the 90 packages that disable pro disables
    06-01-2016 02:41 PM
67 123