Best Texting/SMS app on Verizon?

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Just upgraded to Galaxy S7 Edge and it's my first android phone. I only see Verizon's and Samsungs apps for SMS/Texting installed. Is one of these better than the other? Or is there something better I should be using? Thanks.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I use Google messenger. Verizon's Message+ is good because you can also download that for your computer, ipad, etc. So you can seamlessly text from any device or computer. The problem with Message+ is the multiple repeat entries for each contact.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I use Google messenger. Verizon's Message+ is good because you can also download that for your computer, ipad, etc. So you can seamlessly text from any device or computer. The problem with Message+ is the multiple repeat entries for each contact.

Thanks. But I don't really text all that much and really only need to use it on my phone. Guess I'll try out the Message+ then.

SprintFun

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I decided to give Message+ a shot and its really quite good to my pleasant surprise. I have used Textra in the past but I am happy with Message+!

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
People on forums seem to love that Verizon app, I could never get into.

I had Textra on my Nexus 6 and my V10, but for now I am sticking with stock Samsung Messages.

Part of my brain thinks that I leave as much Samsung stuff as I can on here the phone will work better

Posted via the Android Central App

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Textra. Used it on my GS6, Note Edge, Nexus 6P, and LG V10. It's basic, it's customizable, and the only thing I don't like is it doesn't work with the People Edge or the AOD.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

SprintFun

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Feels like it's more customizable than tetra with chat bubbles/etc, textra only changes the color scheme if I remember right. When linking to a website it puts a preview of the site in the text. I like the other tabs that keep pics, links, audio etc so you can reference it later. Group messaging each person has a different color bubble so it's easier to tell who is who. The cross-device functionality is really cool too. I'm not a textra expert so maybe some of that is on there too. Once I figured out how to make texts pop-up over the active screen I didn't see a reason to go back.

Bencurt

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
just tested the chatwing app builder and can confirm the app wizard available makes it straightforward to create an app. nice feature, the app supports Google admob ads so you can display banner ads and make money.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I was using textra as my samsung stock messages is not great with group chats all the time . Its unreliabls . Sometimes it works other times it doesnt. I tried to have verizon/samsung tell me why it says my apn settings are off ONLY the samsung app but works seamlessly on every app and then just accepted that it didnt work lol (i group message every day) so after being suggested to use verizon message+ i ended up loving it and Uninstalled textra. Its super convenient with the nav bar and works great and causes less battery drain than textra i think. I miss the pop up messages though. I hated verizon messages at first bc i thought any preinstalled app from them was the devils work lol but then realized its actually great and works awesome with other devices etc. Google messenger is my other goto. Also Google just announced a new messenging app similiar to imessage for google users. I preregistered for it. Blanking on the name but if u check mkbhd twitter he mentions it

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Been using facebook messenger as my SMS app for awhile and I quite like it. As an added bonus it actually shows up on the AOD as well

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Can you get just a banner pop up on the lock screen instead of the message preview using messages+? I tried disabling the preview and it still happens.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
YAATA is an app in the play store I recently found. The customization is insane. I went ahead and donated to the developer to unlock the additional options, but the standard version is still loaded with options as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Can you get just a banner pop up on the lock screen instead of the message preview using messages+? I tried disabling the preview and it still happens.

It looks like it. You have to enable popups first, then you can choose to enable the popup over the lock screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae