01-19-2017 06:15 PM
171 ... 4567
tools
    I had this problem too. Went to Experience store where I bought the s7 Edge, only to be told exactly what you said. If there was damage that was not a defect, they said they would charge me. Now, I was a bit miffed about this because this forum clearly proves that there is a problem that is widespread. I informed them of this and showed how a quick google search proves that this is not user damage. I can't believe that they treat us with such distrust despite a well documented problem. I was not guaranteed of repair under warranty at the Experience store, so I called and was not guaranteed either. I sent it to them for repair anyway in hopes of not being charged. Time will tell if they acknowledge the defect or if I have to pay for the repair. Overall I have a sour taste after this experience when I think about another certain phone company and their excellent policy for repairs without question. I hope that it gets fixed and I am wrong, but at this point I feel annoyed and disappointed.
    08-19-2016 01:53 AM
    I had this problem too. Went to Experience store where I bought the s7 Edge, only to be told exactly what you said. If there was damage that was not a defect, they said they would charge me. Now, I was a bit miffed about this because this forum clearly proves that there is a problem that is widespread. I informed them of this and showed how a quick google search proves that this is not user damage. I can't believe that they treat us with such distrust despite a well documented problem. I was not guaranteed of repair under warranty at the Experience store, so I called and was not guaranteed either. I sent it to them for repair anyway in hopes of not being charged. Time will tell if they acknowledge the defect or if I have to pay for the repair. Overall I have a sour taste after this experience when I think about another certain phone company and their excellent policy for repairs without question. I hope that it gets fixed and I am wrong, but at this point I feel annoyed and disappointed.
    Wow, how long has it been in their hands for? I was going to go to the experience store but it's an hour away and I had a feeling that it would be a big waste of my time, so that's good to know I didn't go!

Do you happen to have a pic of yours? Please keep me posted on the outcome as I'm curious if it's worth me sending mine in! Fingers crossed for you!
    08-19-2016 02:50 PM
    I was googling about this problem also and I happen to find this thread. Here's a picture of my galaxy s7 with some paint chipping on the home button. I was using alcohol pads to clean off the residue in order to install my new screen protector and it just happened like that.

Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue?-chip.jpg
    08-20-2016 09:32 PM
    Mine has a snap chip, don't know how or when it happened. Just popped up one day
    08-21-2016 06:54 AM
    Mine has a snap chip, don't know how or when it happened. Just popped up one day
    Yup same with me, so frustrating. Are you going to send it in or just live with it?
    08-21-2016 02:46 PM
    On my S7e I'm having no such issue. I heard this was a problem for Samsung phones but even my parents S5's home buttons haven't peeled. Bad units maybe?

Posted via my Black S7 Edge
    08-21-2016 08:04 PM
    AT&T told me I could go through them and they send my phone out to Samsung and give me a loaner. I might go that route.

By the looks of mine it is physical damage, that I was totally unaware of. I never dropped my phone. My thing that I think we can complain about is that we can protect our phone with a case, we can protect our screen with a protector... BUT how do u protect a raised home button? I've had the s3, s4, s5, s6 and not the s7e and I've never had my home button chip or scrap. You can't put a protector on the home button bc then u can't use the fingerprint scanner. It's not fair because I take extremely good care of my phone
    Yup, I take super care of mine too. I thought it was a black speck of dust so tried to scratch it off and made it worse... I wonder if the paint does anything? Might look ok with a black home button if all the paint was scratched off.... I won't do that until after the warranty.. Maybe something will come up or I'll try and send it away anyway closer to the warranty expiration and if they say I need to pay then at least it will be like a new phone then and I can sell it when I get it back as I don't keep any phone over a year anyway... I wonder what Samsung Canada charges for a replacement home button/home screen assembly repair???

I just noticed this was in the Edge Forum, not the S7 Forum.. So, Same issue with the S7 it seems!
    08-21-2016 08:29 PM
    Why some phones and not all of them?
    08-21-2016 08:55 PM
    I had this peeling issue too on my black S7. I peeled off the rest of the paint with a plastic spudger.
    Below the paint there's a black glass. Looks like a small screen. It looks fine on a black phone.
    BTW the fingerprint reader works better now.
    Attached Thumbnails Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue?-dsc08064.jpg  
    08-22-2016 04:11 PM
    hello, I did the same as you, and at first I had no problems , but the restart not let me set the mark , tells me that the home button is ta sucio.a you will spend the same ? and if so as solucionaste , I thought of putting a coat of paint but not ....
    08-26-2016 12:19 AM
    Hi everyone. I registered just because of this problem. I switched from Apple to Android last year after buying what was essentially the same phone over and over. I first got the S6 Edge and loved it, but I had battery issues so I upgraded to the S7 Edge and sold my 6 to my best friend. My "peeling" started around week 5 or 6 around the bottom edge of the button. Around week 7 it started peeling off the middle of the button. After going round and round with Verizon and Samsung, they told me they would cover it under warranty. I had to restore the phone, take my screen protector off, etc and ship it to them. In the mean time I spent $150 on another phone because I can't go 2 weeks without a cell phone. After a week Samsung sent me an estimate for $270 for repairs. They claimed, as with everyone else, that it's my fault, despite all of the articles you can find online about it. I called and made a huge fuss and they offered to lower the cost of repair to $150. I told them to shove it, and that if this is what happens to their phones from "normal wear and tear", they shouldn't be charging $800 for the damn phone. They sent it back to me, unfixed, and I'm so pissed it's still sitting in the box and I'm using the LG G4 I bought.

I contacted a law firm about a class action lawsuit. This is ridiculous.
    08-26-2016 09:13 AM
    I was googling about this problem also and I happen to find this thread. Here's a picture of my galaxy s7 with some paint chipping on the home button. I was using alcohol pads to clean off the residue in order to install my new screen protector and it just happened like that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chip.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	236391
    Just wanted to follow up with my repair status. So absurd.
    Attached Thumbnails Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue?-25232.png  
    08-26-2016 11:58 AM
    Yeah... I'm not willing to pay to have a paint chip repaired...I guess I'll learn to live with it for another few months. Maybe the new Nexus will tempt me to just sell it.
    08-26-2016 01:15 PM
    Yeah... I'm not willing to pay to have a paint chip repaired...I guess I'll learn to live with it for another few months. Maybe the new Nexus will tempt me to just sell it.
    Looks like it's a big waste of time sending it into Samsung... So ridiculous his you pay $792 and your home button can't even cosmetically last more than 4 months, I may buy the oneplus 3
    08-26-2016 09:14 PM
    I contacted a law firm about a class action lawsuit. This is ridiculous.
    I Just joined the forum because I am having the same problem. It's ridiculous. How can an upgrade have poorer quality than the model(s) it replaces. I can understand if this was a one off case with a few people complaining but this is an almost 150 post issue with multiple parties have identical issues. I have a Samsung S6 Edge+ in gold. And its only been less than three months and its has the dreaded chipping peeling at the bottom. I tried covering it up with Sharpie Gold markers, it did a great job of masking the chipping slightly. But you look at it long enough you can tell it was a cover up job. Luckily mine was at the edge so it fills in. And today out of the blue, I find a small scratch on the middle pad. I use it very rarely, as I am at a computer most of the time, and its babied like no other phone I had. Kept in its own pocket.

It truly is a shame that something as heavily used as the home button wasnt given better weathering testing. And I understand no one can anticipate everything, but it being an issue, Samsung should be honorable and fix it free of charge. One could argue they purposely made the home button of poor quality and affixed in such a position that the whole display needed to be removed with a heat gun, to purposely over charge customers.

That is why I quoted @Lwalsh21 's class action suit comment. This has the hallmarks of forcing a company stand by its product and offer free repairs! How have you come along.

But if anyone is interested in a interim - OK- fix try the Sharpie Metallic Gold pen marker. It may help those with chipping in the corners.

Anyone send their phones to Samsung for this Issue other than the two people who had a bill returned to them? What was the result? I am debating whether to get it repaired or take a refurbished replacement from my carrier.
    08-30-2016 08:01 PM
    I Just joined the forum because I am having the same problem. It's ridiculous. How can an upgrade have poorer quality than the model(s) it replaces. I can understand if this was a one off case with a few people complaining but this is an almost 150 post issue with multiple parties have identical issues. I have a Samsung S6 Edge+ in gold. And its only been less than three months and its has the dreaded chipping peeling at the bottom. I tried covering it up with Sharpie Gold markers, it did a great job of masking the chipping slightly. But you look at it long enough you can tell it was a cover up job. Luckily mine was at the edge so it fills in. And today out of the blue, I find a small scratch on the middle pad. I use it very rarely, as I am at a computer most of the time, and its babied like no other phone I had. Kept in its own pocket.

It truly is a shame that something as heavily used as the home button wasnt given better weathering testing. And I understand no one can anticipate everything, but it being an issue, Samsung should be honorable and fix it free of charge. One could argue they purposely made the home button of poor quality and affixed in such a position that the whole display needed to be removed with a heat gun, to purposely over charge customers.

That is why I quoted @Lwalsh21 's class action suit comment. This has the hallmarks of forcing a company stand by its product and offer free repairs! How have you come along.

But if anyone is interested in a interim - OK- fix try the Sharpie Metallic Gold pen marker. It may help those with chipping in the corners.

Anyone send their phones to Samsung for this Issue other than the two people who had a bill returned to them? What was the result? I am debating whether to get it repaired or take a refurbished replacement from my carrier.
    Your carrier offered you a replacement? What carrier? I feel like the carrier would only offer a replacement if it was not working properly
    08-31-2016 09:42 AM

If your carrier offered you refurbished replacement I would go that route. It's faster than dealing with Samsung.
    Luckily I don't have this issue with my phone. I have the black onyx.
    08-31-2016 01:12 PM

I tried the gold sharpie marker, didn't work
    09-03-2016 10:44 AM
    This must affect only certain models or happen in certain situations. I've been using two silver S7 Edge phones since early February and both are flawless to this date.

Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue?-20160903_095023.jpg
    Roman Akert and chanchan05 like this.
    09-03-2016 10:52 AM
    As a loyal Samsung customer, I'm not happy with the series 7 phones this year. I have been an owner of a S7 Edge for 10 days and it's going right back to the store today. I'm going back to my Note 5. I had defective issues with"moisture detected in USB port" in my s7 Edge. Also, the phone would get overheated very quickly, not to mention that the home button has scratches on it now and is starting to peel. No reason why the home button should have scratches and peeling after such short use. After a few Google searches, it seems like countless others are having problems with each of the issues I described. Tech blogs have reported these problems with the S7 and S7 Edge. We are not even going to talk about the Note 7 debacle.

I don't know what's going on with Samsung, but it seems like with this year's phones- there is poor build quality/cheap parts, and poor quality assurance. This isn't the company that I know and love. I love the water resistance feature and the better front face cam on the s7 Edge, but these defects are leaving a poor taste in my mouth. Had my Note 5 for 10 months. No issues whatsoever: no scratches/peeling on home button, doesn't overheat, no glitches with hardware/software...
    09-04-2016 02:35 PM
    The paint scratching and chipping is due to two factors. 1: The paint finish is on some horizontal plastic lines and I've noticed that it typically chips where these lines meet the radius of the inner edge of the button. 2: The button is plastic topped, not glass. All about silly cost reduction with them, I even think it's silly the flash/HRM cover is plastic as well.
    09-04-2016 03:56 PM
    The paint scratching and chipping is due to two factors. 1: The paint finish is on some horizontal plastic lines and I've noticed that it typically chips where these lines meet the radius of the inner edge of the button. 2: The button is plastic topped, not glass. All about silly cost reduction with them, I even think it's silly the flash/HRM cover is plastic as well.
    Cutting Corners is starting to prove to this company that they will get burned literally so they need to stop and just build quality devices before they totally ruin their name and end up like Nokia.
    09-17-2016 11:17 PM
    10-10-2016 11:20 AM
    Okay so I have a story to tell. This past Saturday I went to an AT&T store to exchange my sister's Note 7 for the s7 edge and I had them put a screen protector on. I really liked the application and decided to have them put it on mine. Now, when they gave it back to me, this is what I saw on my home button. (Picture posted) and I was livid. My home button was in perfect condition when I gave it to the representative and he gave it back damaged. He was like oh, I didn't know the home button was painted on. Like really? He doesn't even apologize. Then I ask the manager what I should do because I shouldn't have to deal with this since it wasn't my fault. He told me to go to a device support Center at another AT&T location. I go there and explain the situation and the guy, right off the bat, started off with rolling his eyes and huffing and puffing before disappearing in the back and coming back.out a few seconds later saying that they're unable to do a warranty replacement since it's cosmetic damage and I explained again how it was one of his representatives that damaged my phone and it's not my fault. He then went on to say I have to go back to that store and they should replace it. So I did. The manager had to call his manager who approved it and had to go through a warranty department since they didn't have my color in stock and I will be receiving my new phone within the week. I am still flabbergasted that this had to happen when my home button had been in pristine condition before asking them to put on the screen protector
    Attached Thumbnails Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue?-20161015_144736_1476586030397.jpg  
    10-17-2016 11:38 AM
    I had NO idea the home buttons were so fragile. I mean, Apple uses sapphire on their home buttons and you'd think Samsung would equal or surpass that, or at least use Gorilla Glass or mineral glass or something. I'm concerned as I have a new Note 5 and S7e and I don't want to see anything like I've seen in this thread. Sheesh. My heart goes out to all affected. I have this crazy desire to keep my phones in pristine condition and paint chipping off the home button would irk me bad.
    10-17-2016 02:41 PM
171 ... 4567