Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue?

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yup. This has been an issue for me with the S6 line up. My gold S6 home button got nasty in the end. And I've seen so many used S6 phones with worn out home buttons. The built quality of the buttons have been one of my major concerns with Samsung devices. And I thought they recessed the button deliberately so that the situation gets improved.

But I guess it didn't. The glass/plastic used on the button is of a very low quality. And the chrome surrounding it is even worse.

Posted via the Android Central App

And yet you, like everyone else who has made this complaint, refuses to post a picture of it. Weird.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I went ahead and compared the note 5 button with the s6 and the s7. In the shop. As I don't have all three with me here at home.

From the brief time I spent there. It looked pretty obvious that all of them looked different.

I'm sorry I'd ask everyone to confirm that for me. But they did look different.

The s6 button gave a different shade of gold than the phone itself. The button didn't have the same finish as the phone.

The note 5 finish looked exactly the same finish as the phone. Like previously found in the note 4.

And the S7 button looked exactly the same too but with a different texture than glass.

Again. Please confirm if you have all these phones.

Both my S6 Edge Plus and Note 5 are Sapphire black and their home buttons look identical (flawless) to the rest of the phone. I can take pics of the S6 Edge plus when I see it (in use by family).

The S7 Edge I have (silver) has the same look as the rest of the phone, but it feels like glass or plastic. It certainly isn't just paint.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm having a problem with the paint on my s7 edge homebutton too. See left edge of the homebutton. The paint is chipping. Contacted my carrier in Germany today and hope they'll replace it. Unfortunately it's 15 days old now, so that I can't simply send it back anymore.

But I hope that it'll be a simple process since in real life it's easy to tell that the paint is coming loose so there has been no physical impact from a key in my pocket or anything.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/bd9b9c8047ff46307c3a969fab160ffa.jpg

That looks like physical damage and chipping to the button itself, not the button's paint or glass layer falling off.

PaWe

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
@jinzen: Trust me, the paint is chipping. There is nothing else above it, no glass or plastic layer. Since I take care of all of my phones, it has never had contact with a key or somethings like that. It's hard to tell from the picture since tapatalk reduced the quality but in real life you can see that the paint is loosening on the left edge of the button. Like air bubbles underneath. My provider told me to ship the phone to them for repair which I'll do asap

PS: sorry if I misunderstood your post. Not sure if you're trying to say that it's my fault or not.

cyclopops

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Here is my home button.
Had the phone 5 days when I noticed a what I thought a bit of goo stuck to my home button in the middle, turned out to be a bubble and it just keeps getting worse.

image.jpg

cyclopops

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Absolutely not.
What looks like rubbing in the middle was purely my finger trying to rub what I initially thought to be dirt on the button, nothing more than that.

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My gold one has started this, a small bit at the top of the home button. Not noticeable at the moment but will see how it plays out

PaWe

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
1374a1eebd5e02bc78b5129b7bf02268.jpg

Another shot of my home button. If tapatalk doesn't compress the image quality too much, everyone should be able to see the paint peeling off and chipping on the left edge of the button.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160409/1374a1eebd5e02bc78b5129b7bf02268.jpg
Another shot of my home button. If tapatalk doesn't compress the image quality too much, everyone should be able to see the paint peeling off and chipping on the left edge of the button.

This is really unacceptable from Sammy boy. Disappointed. These kinds of things in the Android world put people off and direct them towards buying iphones. Anyways. I hope you find a solution for this man. Don't try putting any wraps on this as you'll peel it further when taking it off the day you decide you want to.

PaWe

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Actually yes I am kind of disappointed. I came from an iPhone 6s (after owning the 5s and 4s, all smartphones I ever had were iPhones). Why can't Samsung make the home button from colored (not painted) PVC or glass like apple? Paint is likely to get scratched or peeled off... But in general I am really happy with the Galaxy S7. The display is awesome, the screen to body ratio is great, coming from an iPhone. The battery life was more than sufficient. Camera takes better pics than my iPhone did. The edge model in gold looks really beautiful. Customization is a big plus! I enjoy the S7 edge. This incident is really annoying but I'll love my phone anyway, it's an otherwise perfect smartphone for me

I sent the phone back today so that that my carrier can take a look and repair/replace the home button. Unfortunately I had the phone a little longer than 2 weeks when I noticed the problem so that I wasn't able to send it back and order a new one anymore.
Hope I'll have a good button afterwards and have the phone back soon. My iPhone 6s (4,7" screen) feels so tiny now ;)

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Actually yes I am kind of disappointed. I came from an iPhone 6s (after owning the 5s and 4s, all smartphones I ever had were iPhones). Why can't Samsung make the home button from colored (not painted) PVC or glass like apple? Paint is likely to get scratched or peeled off... But in general I am really happy with the Galaxy S7. The display is awesome, the screen to body ratio is great, coming from an iPhone. The battery life was more than sufficient. Camera takes better pics than my iPhone did. The edge model in gold looks really beautiful. Customization is a big plus! I enjoy the S7 edge. This incident is really annoying but I'll love my phone anyway, it's an otherwise perfect smartphone for me

I sent the phone back today so that that my carrier can take a look and repair/replace the home button. Unfortunately I had the phone a little longer than 2 weeks when I noticed the problem so that I wasn't able to send it back and order a new one anymore.
Hope I'll have a good button afterwards and have the phone back soon. My iPhone 6s (4,7" screen) feels so tiny now ;)

I'm glad you sent it away and I hope you get it back in a perfect condition. Yes I guess there will never be such thing as a perfect phone.

PaWe

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad you sent it away and I hope you get it back in a perfect condition. Yes I guess there will never be such thing as a perfect phone.

Thanks! I'll let you all know how the repair turned out once I got the phone back again.

@TMavC5:
Look at my pics in this thread. It seems like there is a layer of paint on top of what may be a plastic layer that protects the fingerprint reader itself. But there is obviously nothing on top of that layer of paint which is peeling on some phones of users in this thread