Samsung needs to sort its act out in pushing the regular security updates being the top Android vendor.

Just saw an article on SamMobile that Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy s5 have started to recieve their updates which are 2014 flagships. Shouldn't they try to upgrade their most recent flagships first or at least give a time frame in when these updates hit devices every month. We should learn from Blackberry as they are always first out even besting the nexus devices.

I know there are so many variants of the Galaxy devices and carriers don't help but the thing is Samsung has the money and time to put more effort in.

I hope things get can better from here.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-17-2016 09:13 AM
    Samsung cares about selling hardware mainly. Slow updates don't really bother Most people so don't expect them to change. If you want fast updates, go with a Nexus
    03-17-2016 09:39 AM
    Buy a Nexus is an easy out but Samsung should better in the area and push security updates faster.
    03-17-2016 09:46 AM
    03-17-2016 09:49 AM
    Well.. these OEMs really have no excuse to have to wait so long. A lot of the Google updates involve really low-level mundane junk that the OEMs really have no reason to mess around with. It's like an openssl package getting patched and pushed out to Linux boxes... everyone should be able to take it without batting an eye (unless something you are doing exploits the security hole that got closed of course).

But I guess there's a temptation to slap in a bunch of fixes... like how Congress attaches completely unrelated riders to some silly little procedural bill. And, like Congress, it completely screws the process up and it takes who knows how long to get the original fix.

Separate security patches from feature and stability updates.
    shoaib shah likes this.
    03-17-2016 09:55 AM
    Well.. these OEMs really have no excuse to have to wait so long. A lot of the Google updates involve really low-level mundane junk that the OEMs really have no reason to mess around with. It's like an openssl package getting patched and pushed out to Linux boxes... everyone should be able to take it without batting an eye (unless something you are doing exploits the security hole that got closed of course).

But I guess there's a temptation to slap in a bunch of fixes... like how Congress attaches completely unrelated riders to some silly little procedural bill. And, like Congress, it completely screws the process up and it takes who knows how long to get the original fix.

Separate security patches from feature and stability updates.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-17-2016 10:00 AM
    Buy a Nexus is an easy out but Samsung should better in the area and push security updates faster.
    While I completely agree with you,we also need to be realistic. It is highly doubtful that carrier variants would get timely updates, even security updates. Given that my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 was still on the November security update in early March. It did get the February security update with the marshmallow update though.

For those who highly prioritize timely security updates, then I would strongly recommend against getting a non Nexus.
    03-17-2016 10:22 AM