I wanted to get the free $30 gift card promotion and lunchtime I went to a store and tried to use Samsung Pay and was refused. I have been there many times before and they even know me and I was told they are charged a higher CC processing fee if I used it so they do not accept it. It's only a small percentage, but I guess cuts into the profits on smaller purchases like mine.

I just let them swipe the card and left.

I guess technology has it's costs or a learning curve.
    03-17-2016 11:29 AM
    That's crazy. I've used Samsung Pay in about 6 stores since last week and haven't had a problem in any of them. There should be no difference between swiping a card and tapping your phone.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    03-17-2016 11:50 AM
    I wanted to get the free $30 gift card promotion and lunchtime I went to a store and tried to use Samsung Pay and was refused. I have been there many times before and they even know me and I was told they are charged a higher CC processing fee if I used it so they do not accept it. It's only a small percentage, but I guess cuts into the profits on smaller purchases like mine.

They were just being difficult.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-17-2016 11:54 AM

I think so as well. If the phone is mimicking the card on the reader than there is no difference in cost to them .. It is a CC transaction.
    03-17-2016 12:02 PM
    I think so as well. If the phone is mimicking the card on the reader than there is no difference in cost to them .. It is a CC transaction.
    If they are setup like Apple Pay, there is a slight fee but it is paid by your credit card company not the store.
    03-17-2016 12:25 PM

I just went to my nearest mall and used it on a vending machine, look for something like that. Got the eBay gift card a minute or so later.

03-17-2016 03:19 PM
    Samsung Pay creates a virtual card number that is different from the actual card that is added, so they know when it is actually used.
    03-17-2016 03:21 PM
    I don't know why really, only what the guy at the store told me.
    03-18-2016 09:14 AM
    Im guessing your transaction was less than the amount he needed to profit. most people retailers lose money on a 5 dollar credit card transaction
    03-18-2016 09:53 AM
    Use some other place, any other place as a matter of fact. It can be used practically anywhere. I already got my $30 gift card.
    03-18-2016 10:16 AM
    I don't know why really, only what the guy at the store told me.
    Well, who knows? The point is, go use it somewhere else, get that gift card!
    rkkeller likes this.
    03-18-2016 10:17 AM

Yes and were probably Apple people and didn't know that Samsung can be used almost everywhere without the technology that Apple Pay needs.
    03-18-2016 12:05 PM
    There is no difference in the processing fees of a CC transaction whether you swipe/dip the actual plastic as opposed to using the same CC through the Samsung Pay app as for all the network knows it was a card present transaction. The woman just doesn't understand her processing fees from her Point of Sale terminal (POS) provider.
    03-18-2016 01:55 PM
    used mine at cvs, bought 1 candy bar per phone, boom, 2 30$ cards like that. easy as that
    03-19-2016 06:45 AM
    Samsung Pay was rejected at Lowes and Target for me, with my S6 edge.
    03-19-2016 07:54 AM
    That's crazy. I've used Samsung Pay in about 6 stores since last week and haven't had a problem in any of them. There should be no difference between swiping a card and tapping your phone.
    Agreed...that being said I was told that if you cc has a chip in it you still have to use the card.
    03-19-2016 08:11 AM
    Agreed...that being said I was told that if you cc has a chip in it you still have to use the card.
    I've been using mine everywhere locally, including stores with chip readers and Samsung pay works, even with my credit card having a chip.

03-19-2016 08:50 AM
    Yeah, my chase debit cc has the chip and has worked wherever I've tried so far.

03-19-2016 09:02 AM
    Samsung Pay was rejected at Lowes and Target for me, with my S6 edge.
    I've been using SP since inception and have never been denied at Target, probably the easiest place to use for me. I'm mostly using AMEX CC with the security chip.
    03-19-2016 09:54 AM
    The question is whether Samsung Pay works when stores only accept cards inserted into the chip reader? We're in a state of transition so many stores are accepting both the magnetic swipe and the chip inserted. What happens to Samsung Pay when it becomes 100% chip insertion?
    03-19-2016 10:35 AM
    That's probably years down the road so hopefully by then they'll have a solution. I do like that even my cards that have chips can be used. The virtual card number let's the terminal know that you don't need a chip for that transaction. Maybe they'll always be able to take virtual cards since they're on a token system and are just as safe as using a chip
    03-19-2016 10:52 AM
    I've been using mine everywhere locally, including stores with chip readers and Samsung pay works, even with my credit card having a chip.

This, both (AMEX and WF) CC with security chips work.
    03-19-2016 11:29 AM

If I'm right, there are no additional fee for these type of usage. It just being use without your actual card being swipe for security reason. The fee are exact same if you physically swipe them.
    03-19-2016 11:59 AM
    If I'm right, there are no additional fee for these type of usage. It just being use without your actual card being swipe for security reason. The fee are exact same if you physically swipe them.
    This, I have spoken to both AMEX and Wells Fargo, customer service and have been told their is no additional "processing fees" involved for the business at the POS. I can't imagine other financial institutions involved with SP being any different.
    TMavC5 likes this.
    03-19-2016 03:21 PM