Galaxy S7 Edge SD Card Issues

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I sent my S7 to a Samsung authorized service repair center. Verdict: They need to replace the motherboard. Its officially an hardware issue, thus not affecting all devices. The ones that are affected needs replacement/or motherboard replacement. When they replace the motherboard, they have (no choice) to also replace the screen. Cost CDN 690$.

I wounder why Samsung just don't send me a new phone as their cost for a new device is around 240$ USD.

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I got my new S7. I have no more SD card notifications at all. Not even when I reboot the phone. Yesterday (again) I was listening to music (a set of 2 hours long) from my SD card. I started to look at pictures (again) at the same time. After 40 mins or so, my phone stopped the music and stopped being able to read my SD. Everything froze and I had to reboot. Then, again, a few mins later (listening to music and looking at pictures), it did it again. On the second time, I was not able to reboot the phone using the power button (keeping pressure for 10 seconds). I had to do it using the volume down/home/power. The phone screen was totally black and there was no way to unfreeze it. My notification light was flashing blue (as I had new emails and text), but the phone was not responsive at all.

It seems like Samsung just removed the SD notification as a whole in the new phone but did not fix the issue.

For those who don't have the issue, before commenting, I would appreciate if you could listen to music and look at your pictures at the same time (all from the micro SD card) for at least 30-40 minutes.

I strongly believe that ALL phones have this issue, but that those who don't just have not access pictures while listening to music (demanding on the SD card reading). Do it if you can... and see if it creates problems. And let me know once you did the above. Thanks.

I want to add that I am a computer/smartphone savy. I flashed ROMS on all my S1, S2, S3, S4. I also did thought it could have been my micro SD the problem (even if it works perfectly with my S5) so I went and bought a Samsung evo 64gb... Same issue. I reformatted both from PC and within the phone and factory reset (on more than 8 occasions). Same issue with all. My S5 doesn't have any issues with both SD. So no it is not the SD the cupid.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm confused if the problem was the motherboard and they replaced it, how come your still having problems, do you think there is another hardware fault in the phone.

I have never seen this behaviour and regularly play videos from my sd card as I cast them to my TV, I would have thought the increased bitrate of video would tax the SD card more than music/ Photos combined

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I don't have this issue with my S7 Edge, but had it with my S3. The fix was to super glue the SD card into the phone's SD card slot (which in that phone was a slide-in slot for the card under the battery cover), as I discovered that the most minute wiggle of the card would unseat it. Since I knew I wasn't going to need to remove the card for anything, I was fine with making it a permanent part of the phone. For the S7 Edge, the card area is very different since it is a bottomless tray, so I would say maybe try wrapping a little electrical tape around both sides (not over the contacts, of course) or something.

Anthony Salinas1

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone was having a similar issue to what I am experiencing. I have a Galaxy S7 edge for T-Mobile. I have a Samsung 128GB Micro SD card installed. The past couple of days I have been getting constant notifications saying "Preparing SD Card" or "SD Card: For transferring photos and media" and expanding the notification gives me options to "explore" or "reject". I took it to Best Buy for the Samsung dude to look at it, and there was another S7 edge owner there with the same issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know if a fix? The Samsung dude cleared the cache in my files, but that didn't do the trick...

Thanks!
It's a glitch within the operating system. An update will be available for your S7 shortly if it isn't already waiting to be downloaded. Go to your settings and scroll down to system update. This update WILL clear up this irritating SD issue you've been having.

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a glitch within the operating system. An update will be available for your S7 shortly if it isn't already waiting to be downloaded. Go to your settings and scroll down to system update. This update WILL clear up this irritating SD issue you've been having.

All the update does is stop the notification from appearing. It does NOT address the underlying cause -- the SD card unmounting and remounting, which is not a trivial problem.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
All the update does is stop the notification from appearing. It does NOT address the underlying cause -- the SD card unmounting and remounting, which is not a trivial problem.

You are correct. It is not a software issue. It is a hardware issue. I called T-Mobile over a month ago and they sent me a new phone. The new phone has not had the issue once. I suspect the issue has to do with the cheap, flimsy SIM/SD Card trays that they use on these phones. I have read some people with the regular S7 experiencing the same problem.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

It is not a glitch in the operating system. If that were the case, everyone would be experiencing the issue. It is hardware related. I jumped through every hoop that Samsung support said to do, and it still didn't fix the issue. They refused to send me a new device, so I contacted T-Mobile. I told them what I did, and they sent me out a new device. I have had the new device over a month and not once has the SD card issue reared its ugly head. As I mentioned in another post, my thought is the issue lies in the cheap plastic SIM/SD Card trays that they use. The problem is not just with the S7e but also with the regular S7 as owners of that device are also experiencing the SD card issue.

Avadis Janiashyan

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
My issue is totally different, it never showed SD card notification as such but when I move any app or game to my SD card, it goes on OK, but when I restart my phone they are blank, I have to reinstall it and keep it on the internal memory, can anyone suggest a solution for this? During KitKat there was similar problem and KitKat SD fix apk corrected it, any suggestions for it? Thank you

danyleb

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I have a S7 made in Vietnam on 2016-02-19 and I am having problems with my sd card at first I transferred my sandisk 64g from my old galaxy s5 and it work for the first 2 photos on the third photo it gave me a message that there was no sd card and was saving the photo to the phone memory try 2 different sd card a sandisk 8gb and a 2 gb same problem so bought a Samsung 128 pro+ same problem will call Samsung support since it looks like I am not the only one with a sd card problem

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issue. 2nd phone. Worked for a bit and now back just no notifications of this. The apps and pics are just gone. The only way I have found to fix is to remove the card and put it in a computer. Then take it out and put it back in the phone.

Mthomas184

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I had 3 of them from T-Mobile since last wednesday already. At first I thought it was T-Mobiles software updates because it happened right after but then I found out that if you look closely as you're pushing in the tray, the SD card is becoming dislodged every so slightly that it is causing a problem. I noticed that and made sure it went in properly and haven't had a problem since.

Bay Dee

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Can all of you download the app "phone info samsung". It will tell you the date it was manufactured and also the place. Mine is 2016/01/11 from Vietnam. Can you post on here? Those who dont have the issue, please also do so and post on here. It may be that the first batch was badly made and/or the place it was made from. Please post. I am currently discussing this with Samsung Canada directly.

Mine was made in Vietnam on April 14, 2016.

Aachu

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
I had 3 of them from T-Mobile since last wednesday already. At first I thought it was T-Mobiles software updates because it happened right after but then I found out that if you look closely as you're pushing in the tray, the SD card is becoming dislodged every so slightly that it is causing a problem. I noticed that and made sure it went in properly and haven't had a problem since.

My S7 edge was working fine until today. Yes I would get the SD Card mounting message but it was just annoying. Today my SD card unmounted and I can't get it to register in the phone.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My S7 edge was working fine until today. Yes I would get the SD Card mounting message but it was just annoying. Today my SD card unmounted and I can't get it to register in the phone.
Is the card still recognised if you try it in a computer, I would try save everything off the card to a computer and reformat the card in the computer before trying it back in the phone.

Jpopesr1

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone was having a similar issue to what I am experiencing. I have a Galaxy S7 edge for T-Mobile. I have a Samsung 128GB Micro SD card installed. The past couple of days I have been getting constant notifications saying "Preparing SD Card" or "SD Card: For transferring photos and media" and expanding the notification gives me options to "explore" or "reject". I took it to Best Buy for the Samsung dude to look at it, and there was another S7 edge owner there with the same issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know if a fix? The Samsung dude cleared the cache in my files, but that didn't do the trick...

Thanks!

I had the same issue.I finally just rebooted the system, and it once again gave encryption instructions...I did and it gives SD card encrypted, and all my files were back.. Hope that helps...

Last edited by a moderator:

Srikanth JJ

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello All, I brought S7 Egde couple of days back and I brought a 64GB Samsung EVO micro Sd card and now i have issues, Not able to copy paste any data on the card and all of a sudden it shows as corrupt so formatted it works ok for sometime and phone started freezing up and though i had data in it it was not showing up so tried on different S7 Egde was able to see the data but phone started freezing up so got the replacement card and now same issues on both the phones what could be the problem and same memory card works perfectly ok on a S5

Last edited:

Xavier Davis2

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

Hey, I'm having a similar problem. I have an S7 and it's giving me problems with the SD card. Sometimes it won't show my files, sometimes it does show, sometimes some of the files show. I took the card out and put it in my S5 and it worked perfectly. I then took the phone to the t-mobile store. The rep tried my sd card in his galaxy and it worked. I showed him that it works in the s5 as well. His conclusion was that it is the SD card. But I don't agree. I read up on a similar problem and it could be the phones sd reader is damaged. I'm backing up my files in case the card is damaged. But I see many others with this same problem. Smh. This phone is disappointing me!

Srikanth JJ

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Guys got the Brand new phone and even that has the same problem it happens only when i restart start the phone or shut down and turn on and it say SD Card Corrupt, I am going Crazy