ONE Thing Is Standing Between Me & S7 Edge... That Dang Camera!

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Soooooo i, like everyone else have been reading, watching, visiting in Best Buy etc and am liking everything i see... Yes, i know HOW AWESOME everyone says it is, But what about the picture quality ONCE you transfer to a computer? Was reading an "in depth review of the camera/picture quality" from TIME the other day, (not usually my "goto smartphone source) but his closing sentence concerned me...

"But anyone looking for a reliable camera replacement will remain disappointed. Yes, the images shot with the Galaxy S7 look great on the phone, but when we transferred them to a larger screen, we were less impressed. The level of noise remains high and confirms, once again, that we still have a long way to go before smartphones can fully compete with cameras.

I know NOT many ppl are going to be transferring to their computer/tablet so the camera will remain the "standout feature", but i DEFINITELY will be, and often...I got burned TWICE buying Galaxy Camera & then fell for same hype with Galaxy Camera2, neither even coming close to expectation, and costing over $400.00 for each device...(grrrr!)

Has anyone here noticed a significant degrade in quality/pixelation/etc when blowing up the 12MP photos on a 13inch+ screen?

Thanx!

BTC

SprintFun

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: ONE Thing Is Standing Between Me & S7 Edge... That Dang Camera!.

The camera is great. It's probably not as good as the Note 5, but it's easily top 5 out there. You can get the free lightroom app on your phone for some pretty good processing when you want it.

Does it replace a DSLR or a quality point and shoot even? Nope. And I think that's what that article was hoping for.

To answer your question, yes there is some noise on pictures when viewed at 100%.i found that dusk/night sky looked the worst for that, but I haven't played with manual settings too too much. Manual mode provided much better pics in difficult lighting than the auto mode. When viewing pics the auto touch up feature has been a pleasant surprise

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I just uploaded 2 photos to my laptop. Both photos were taken indoor. One without flash and one with.
The one without flash does not look good at all. The other is passable.
Then again, I use DSLR's for real photos and anything taken with my phone is just for fun :) I am sure that outdoor shots are much better though.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site

There isn't a phone camera available that you will be happy with if you use the above article as a reference point. They have certainly come a long way over the years and for most people, the quality is more than sufficient. The average person usually just wants to share casual shots with family and friends, but there will always be DSLRs for those who need more.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I would have to disagree. For a smartphone camera it's pretty awesome. I usually trust reviews from tech sites more than generic news sites.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
It's the best smartphone camera out there.

Low light is going to cause grain no matter what. It can handle it differently in comparison to like the Nexus 6p for example, though using pro mode can definitely give you better control.

It's not as good as a DSLR, but for a smartphone it's incredible. Shame it's not 16MP but tbh, it still looks great on a TV screen

So short and sweet is if you want DSLR quality, use one. If you want a great on the go image that'll be great for a wide array of applications in a slim format then the S7 is a great option.

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

There are areas where the 16mp note 5/ s6 edge + wins.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like Time is comparing against a dslr. Sure it will pale in comparison to a dedicated camera.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

The camera is fast and fantastic . So many news sources have said that it's the best camera on any phone

Posted via the Android Central App

dizzll

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

My gripe is almost all my selfie pics are blurry, and any motion causes blur because it's slow

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

This camera has a big blue push. Take a picture outdoors, and the sky is made to look more blue than it is. Same with true white. It's pushed more towards a cooler white. Not very accurate at all. of course, most people have no clue. They think the white they see on their tv is accurate. Not even close to D65. So sad when people actually think phone cameras are good. They are not.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Soooooo i, like everyone else have been reading, watching, visiting in Best Buy etc and am liking everything i see... Yes, i know HOW AWESOME everyone says it is, But what about the picture quality ONCE you transfer to a computer? Was reading an "in depth review of the camera/picture quality" from TIME the other day, (not usually my "goto smartphone source) but his closing sentence concerned me...

"But anyone looking for a reliable camera replacement will remain disappointed. Yes, the images shot with the Galaxy S7 look great on the phone, but when we transferred them to a larger screen, we were less impressed. The level of noise remains high and confirms, once again, that we still have a long way to go before smartphones can fully compete with cameras.

I know NOT many ppl are going to be transferring to their computer/tablet so the camera will remain the "standout feature", but i DEFINITELY will be, and often...I got burned TWICE buying Galaxy Camera & then fell for same hype with Galaxy Camera2, neither even coming close to expectation, and costing over $400.00 for each device...(grrrr!)

Has anyone here noticed a significant degrade in quality/pixelation/etc when blowing up the 12MP photos on a 13inch+ screen?

Thanx!

BTC

Well, if you take in consideration that The Verge has always been a Pro Apple (iPhone) site in each article they post and they finally accept that the Galaxy S7 edge camera is the leader right now in a direct comparison to the iPhone 6S Plus, then I think you shouldn't worry about buying the best phone camera on the market right now.

Take a look at this article from The Verge posted today. Smartphone camera shootout: Galaxy S7 Edge takes on the iPhone 6S Plus | The Verge

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
comparing it to an actual camera (either point and shoot or DSLR) is always going to make it look like crap. you're looking at significantly smaller optics and sensors, so of course it can't do what they do.

that being said, if you are comparing it to basically any other smartphone camera, it's going to be the best if not in the top 3. adding in the manual mode will help with noise and grain as you can adjust iso / shutter speed to compensate (but in the dark will probably have to use something to steady it)

sure the colors might be shifted a bit, but that can generally be adjusted in post processing. the s6/note5 generation will be better in pure detail captured due to to the larger image size, but unless you're looking at a cropped image, you're not really going to notice it much.

i've had (just in the past year) a 6+, 6s, 6p, moto x pure, note 5, and now the s7 edge and it's the most impressed i've been with a smartphone camera yet.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Well, if you take in consideration that The Verge has always been a Pro Apple (iPhone) site in each article they post and they finally accept that the Galaxy S7 edge camera is the leader right now in a direct comparison to the iPhone 6S Plus, then I think you shouldn't worry about buying the best phone camera on the market right now.

Take a look at this article from The Verge posted today. Smartphone camera shootout: Galaxy S7 Edge takes on the iPhone 6S Plus | The Verge

The verge accepted that the 2015 lineup was better than the iPhone as well. But still didn't have any problem saying that the iPhone was king until S7 arrived.

They did an S6 edge plus vs iphone 6s a while ago and preferred the pictures from the S6 in most cases.

The Verge, I don't know why you keep doing this.

Posted via the Android Central App

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanx!

BTC

All my pictures auto upload to ONEDRIVE and does not changed the the size of the original. I am able to view all my photos online of the original size of my photo. And they all look fantastic.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanx!

BTC

The S7 Edge camera is the best available on a phone. The only way to upgrade above it is to wait for fall phones, which may or may not be better, or to buy a camera.

albusseverus27

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I think as a smartphone camera the s7 edge is up there. Daylight shots are great. Low light is good though of course if you want a wallpaper quality photos just buy a camera.