Galaxy S7 edge (AT&T) Wi-Fi turning off after update

StuffOfInterest

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had my S7 Edge since last Tuesday. Everything was working fine until yesterday. AT&T pushed down the security update yesterday. Since then I've noticed that wifi will switch off every once in a while. I'm not talking about disconnecting. The wifi icon will go completely grey. Once I touch it to turn back on wifi will reconnect but a few hours later when I look again it is back off.

Has anyone else seen this before or after the update?

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S7 edge (AT&T) wifi turning off after update

I would try to clear cache in the bootloader.

StuffOfInterest

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Tried it. We'll see if wifi stays on.

Of note, the recovery mode appears to have added a confirmation for clearing cache on the S7. The instructions I found for the S6 only showed going to wipe cache and hitting power. For the S7 an additional yes/no is displayed.

utupelo

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Did the update last night. Battery life (the main reason I bought the phone) is gone. Dropped to 90% without me touching it in 2 hours. How do you clear cache? Will a reboot do it?

rkkeller

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

I always turn my phone off and then back on after any updates even if its reboots on its own, sometimes I do it twice just to avoid problems.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Did the update last night. Battery life (the main reason I bought the phone) is gone. Dropped to 90% without me touching it in 2 hours. How do you clear cache? Will a reboot do it?
Check the s7 edge faq sticky.

StuffOfInterest

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Well, that didn't do it. Wiped the cache partition yesterday. This morning, Wi-Fi was off again.

StuffOfInterest

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Update. I think I may know what is doing this. AT&T Smart Wi-Fi could be to blame. It was set to turn off wi-fi when not near a known hotspot, which is its default. Inside my house it is difficult to get a location lock (thank you brick over block construction) so I think that when the location was lost the phone didn't know I was at home and shut down the wi-fi. I've switched that option off now so I'll see if wi-fi stays on.

I'd like to just disable the application completely but I'm not sure if it is needed to have my phone auto-connect to AT&T hot spots. That actually is useful at times so I'd hate to lose it. Unless someone has heard that these functions are not associated then I may have to do some experimenting the next time I'm near an AT&T hot spot.

rkkeller

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I turned that feature off as I only have 2gb of data a month and I already noticed I was using data and not wifi a coupe times. It seems to switch to cellular even if your wifi is fine just a low signal.