04-03-2016 06:49 PM
252 ... 891011
tools
    I see a lot of people carrying their phones in hand constantly. I'm not that married to mine and usually have it tucked safely into a pocket. As stated above pulling it out always has the remote or not so remote chance of dropping it. Much easier still to just swipe a card. so a novelty for me I guess at least for now. One thing I noticed on a recent flight was how many use their phones to scan themselves in at the gate. One guy tried several times holding up the line before finally getting it.
    Vivek31 likes this.
    03-24-2016 05:51 PM
    But it kinda defeats the point of Samsung Pay. At least for me. My license and other cards are with my debit card in my wallet. So if I have to pull out a card to use Samsung Pay at a gas pump, it's pointless, because I just pull out my debit card and start pumping the gas much quicker.
    They point is that it's way safer to use Samsung Pay, especially since CC fraud is at an all time high at gas station pumps.
    03-24-2016 07:42 PM
    I've used Android Pay twice. What I loved about it was that it was instant. Swiping my card is not. After swiping you have to answer a minimum of three questions. As soon as I put my phone over the sensor it beeps and I'm done.
    bgl321 likes this.
    03-24-2016 07:43 PM
    You don't have to put in a pin or even unlock your phone. Most people have their phone handy anyways.
    Um, when I use it at some places the machine does indeed ask for a PIN after I select debit card on it. When I put my PIN in it gets declined and I have to use my card anyway. I asked earlier in this topic if SP assigns a PIN to be used somewhere or if it can't be used as a Debit but no one answered.
    Vivek31 likes this.
    03-25-2016 03:48 AM
    Um, when I use it at some places the machine does indeed ask for a PIN after I select debit card on it. When I put my PIN in it gets declined and I have to use my card anyway. I asked earlier in this topic if SP assigns a PIN to be used somewhere or if it can't be used as a Debit but no one answered.
    I've used Samsung Pay with my debit card multiple times, inputting my PIN when prompted just as if I'd swiped the card conventionally. No issues.
    03-25-2016 07:59 AM
    I used Samsung pay this morning for the first time. I guess I'm somewhere between the extremes of this thread.

I found it easy enough to use. A little more complicated than just swiping a card, but definitely quicker than using a chip-enabled card reader. It's certainly not hard to use, as some people (mostly those who haven't used it) seem to think. OTOH, I don't see any major advantage to it beyond the security aspect, which doesn't trouble me all that much. I have multiple cards, so if one account does get hacked I'll just use another for a the few days it takes to get that card replaced.

I don't use debit cards for purchases, but if I did I would find the security advantage of Pay much more important. The tokenization of your account number will keep a thief who skims your card from emptying out your account before you realize it happened.

I guess if I were one of those people who can't go 30 seconds without checking Faceplant or texting with someone, and always had my phone in my hand, I might find using Pay easier than pulling my wallet out of my pocket. But since my phone is likely to be in my pocket anyway, there's no real advantage there.

In summary, I find it perfectly usable, but for me not significantly better or worse than using a credit card. Another option to have available.
    ktabel01 and cbreze like this.
    03-25-2016 08:39 AM
    I've used Android Pay twice. What I loved about it was that it was instant. Swiping my card is not. After swiping you have to answer a minimum of three questions. As soon as I put my phone over the sensor it beeps and I'm done.
    I'm curious, what questions? I find that I just swipe a card and I'm done. No questions to answer. In most places, I don't even have to sign if the purchase is under $25 or $35.
    ktabel01 likes this.
    03-25-2016 08:40 AM
    Just watched a bunch of YouTube videos of people using Samsung Pay. Besides the Wow factor is there really any advantage to using Samsung Pay?

Everybody that I saw using it needed to hold it awkwardly next to the card reader slot for a couple of seconds for it to read their credit card data. If the transaction was over the minimum amount the user still needed to manually push the credit or debit button.

Then there is the process of taking out your phone, scanning your fingerprint, tapping the screen, holding it up to the card reader, fidgeting it around until the magnetic fields align, etc.

Then there is the whole unpleasant idea of handing your phone to the cashier or needing to reach around the register to engage the card reader.

Seems to me it would be faster and more convenient to simply pull out your credit card and swipe it. But it wouldn't be as cool as Samsung Pay!

Is there any real advantage to using Samsung Pay vs. simply swiping your card?

I am really averse to picking up that ”pen" and signing my name, especially during flu season (gross!), so there is one advantage.

Anything else?
    It is both. I only have one card in my wallet now for the very few times Samsung Pay does not work. It is more secure than using the plastic card as the number the merchant gets is a one time use number. Plus it is fun to use

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-25-2016 08:57 AM
    It is the future. It is more secure, in that it doesn't really use my actually Credit Card number. It is nice to not have to reach for my wallet all the time. I don't think it will replace plastic cards, but I think it will become as widely used at some point. I used Android Pay for a while. I liked the idea of it being Android and NOT tied to Samsung's branding, I mean what if (God forbid) I want to own something besides a Galaxy some day? There where issue with Android Pay, it wasn't accepted very many places at all, and the few times I did get to use it like at McDonald and a few other places, it was SSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. I mean like 30 seconds to start processing, by that time people are looking at you like..... HURRY UP MAN, and PUT YOUR STUPID PHONE UP DORK! most unpleasant. With Samsung Pay, I've found this not to be the case. Rather paying at a NFC terminal or a regular card swipe terminal both where very fast. Some card swipe terms still required me to do the normal entering of my pin an what not. Basically the phone just transmitted the the card swipe info in place of swiping the card (pretty slick) but still served the purpose of not having to have a card with me at all.
    03-25-2016 10:54 AM
    I think it's a useful tool coz there's many functions that you could easily use and it is handy. Samsung has been launching great phones that are entertaining and at the same time useful. They always see to it that it adapts to our needs in our daily life.
    03-25-2016 11:59 AM
    I also think this makes for another option for those who prefer it. The day will come when this will all seem antiquated. Maybe a fingerprint scanner at the checkout and everywhere else we interact. The implanted chip is probably coming as well. I see NFC being useful for some and not as much for others.
    When I go about my day I see quite a few people with their phones out and either doing something or waiting for something to do them. The rest of us use the phones as needed and it's in our pockets until needed, pulling it out to pay is not needed when it's just as easy to pull out a card. As for the small amount of seconds saved by using a phone already in your hand will free that person up for more facetime with their phone. Not sure thats a good thing. Every minute staring at their phones means they're not seeing anything else.

Off topic for a sec, Side note: Talked to my daughter a while back and said I don't see you on Facebook anymore. She said she dumped it. I decided to dump it as well and have never felt more liberated. How many cat vids or pics of food do I need to see anyway?
    Point of this, less connection can be a good thing.
    03-25-2016 12:36 PM
    I thought you meant activating Samsung Pay on your phone. My bad...
    03-25-2016 02:08 PM
    It is the future. It is more secure, in that it doesn't really use my actually Credit Card number. It is nice to not have to reach for my wallet all the time. I don't think it will replace plastic cards, but I think it will become as widely used at some point. I used Android Pay for a while. I liked the idea of it being Android and NOT tied to Samsung's branding, I mean what if (God forbid) I want to own something besides a Galaxy some day? There where issue with Android Pay, it wasn't accepted very many places at all, and the few times I did get to use it like at McDonald and a few other places, it was SSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. I mean like 30 seconds to start processing, by that time people are looking at you like..... HURRY UP MAN, and PUT YOUR STUPID PHONE UP DORK! most unpleasant. With Samsung Pay, I've found this not to be the case. Rather paying at a NFC terminal or a regular card swipe terminal both where very fast. Some card swipe terms still required me to do the normal entering of my pin an what not. Basically the phone just transmitted the the card swipe info in place of swiping the card (pretty slick) but still served the purpose of not having to have a card with me at all.
    Nah... The future is an embedded chip and/or a fjngerprint or other biometric method of id which is attached to your "bank" or currency holder.
    03-25-2016 08:05 PM
    Absolutely useful tool, 1 problem, doesn't support all banks. I use mine all the time.

03-25-2016 10:09 PM
    Use mine all the time. But remember, if you return something, you need to use it as its a different card number
    Example-used it at home depot. went to return something and had to use it to prove my purchase, but, it wouldnt work. I taped that damn phone 10 times over and over. The cashier resetting the reader each time so i could try and try and try, I felt like an ***. She was visibly annoyed saying, it wont work, that doesnt work here sir. I kept saying yes, jokingly, it will, trust me, Ill blow your mind, see, ugh, damn damn damn damn FINALLY, it went through.
    03-25-2016 10:17 PM
    Tried it at a Dollar General yesterday and same thing. Declined because of invalid transaction or something. I just can't seem to get this to work as a Debit.

When I set it up, I did the online authorization but I'm wondering if I still need to call my bank. Is anyone a PNC Bank customer and had to call them when setting up Samsung Pay?
    03-26-2016 04:56 AM
    I haven't seen anyone mention that you may like using different cards in different locales. Sometimes Macy's or whoever only gives you sale price or bonus if you use their card. I wouldn't even know which card to use. I would prefer to use my debit card but fear security and the pin required issue nobody has answered. Also what about machines that ask debit or credit? You answer on their machine or on your phone?
    If debit + pin gets declined, when it asks for pin hit "cancel" on the machine and it will switch to treating the debit card as a credit card and usually goes right through. The pin is your usual pin, not a special one due to SP being in use. If they ask for the last four of the card number that when you use the four digit virtual card number on the phone's screen labelled "Last four digits for cashier." The question debit or credit is answered on the machine, not your phone.
    recDNA likes this.
    03-26-2016 06:59 AM
    I think it's ridiculous. It takes no time to take out my wallet, pick a card and swipe. You guys have to take out your huge phone, fingerprint unlock, then open an app then point to the machine? No thanks. If you gotta type a pin to open your phone, then you can type your pin on the machine.

I prefer cash anyway. I'm not a fan of fingerprint readers either. I'm not even old.
    Again, as I stated before, people who call it "ridiculous" don't actually use it, so have no clue as to what they're talking about. I often times ALREADY HAVE my phone in my hand when at a register/line, so it would actually take MORE time to set it down and pull out my wallet. And if I did not already have my phone in my hand, it would equally "take no time" to pull my phone out instead of my wallet. Next, the Galaxy S7 is hardly "huge," and the app does NOT have to be opened, nor the phone "fingerprint unlocked." You literally swipe up from an off screen, and touch your finger to the home button. Then you're done. How in your head that process is somehow more time consuming than pulling out your wallet, pulling out the credit card you want to use, or searching for and counting out the amount of cash you need, giving either to the cashier, having him count the cash or swipe your card, wait for it to process, wait for a receipt to print, have him hand you the receipt to sign, you sign it and return it and the pen if you used a credit card, or wait for him to put the cash in the drawer and print a receipt and hand it to you, is beyond me.

Also, it comes in incredibly handy for times, like wen I go to the gym, and don't want to bring cash or credit cards with me, but may need to make a purchase on the way there or on the way home.

Finally, you DON'T have to type a pin to open your phone.
    03-26-2016 05:37 PM
    I love Samsung Pay on my Galaxy 7 Edge - it is the future - just as I was an early adopter with ATM cards at banks decades ago, this will also be an every day occurrence within the next couple of years. I haven't had any difficulty with any vendor and I've asked many of them how many transactions are you getting using this technology in a day... Presently, less than five - so give it time... It is here to stay...
    03-27-2016 09:07 AM
    All Easter weekend I used Samsung Pay. Every store I went to I either used the MST to charge my card or I just used NFC (two places .. Gate / Walgreens had the NFC readers). All of it worked flawlessly.

I think I will be using it as much as I can. If I am able to use it the next month exclusively I think I will be leaving my card at home when I go out shopping at stores.
    TechGod2014 likes this.
    03-28-2016 12:29 PM
    It's a mix of both down the line. I do carry the plastic in my wallet if all else fails or the associates at the stores I shop at want to give me a hard time. If I didn't have the Note 5 or S7 edge, then I would not use Android Pay as often. If you have the Samsung phone, it's up to the comfort of that person to use the feature or not. Someone who is younger, glued to their phone, may tend to use it. I use it for every purchase because I feel that it is secure and faster. I've never noticed how long it takes when you are so accustomed to using your phone. I was at Starbucks and some woman had one of those large wallets. She took about 2 minutes to finally pull out her debit card under all the other cards. It felt long to me, but to someone else that's not a big deal. The person after me looked at me with surprise when she saw how fast I was able to complete the transaction. I'm an associate at my job so I understand it from both perspectives. I wouldn't mind doing it for someone else who came into the store as well as paying for it (NCR computers like chipotle has). I find it a useful tool because it's seconds faster and a bit more secure, but it is also a novelty because it could backfire and decline your purchase; then pulling out the plastic with a disappointed look on your face.
    03-28-2016 04:45 PM
    I just used my Samsung Pay for the first time last week. I bought a new computer from the Microsoft Store (ironic, eh?). They had never had anyone use it, so it was an interesting experiment. They processed the transaction on their Lumia devices and then they ring you up at a terminal. When it was time for the card, I held my phone to it and pulled up my SP on my device. After about a second or two, there was a beep. DECLINED. What?!?! So, I swiped my card. DECLINED. Weird.

Come to find that the purchase price sent an alert to Chase as potential fraud like IMMEDIATELY. So, after clearing that up, I tried it again and success. Surprise had by all. I thought it was cool, but convenient? Meh. I'll have to use it a few more times to see the value in doing it.
    03-30-2016 09:34 AM
    Here's how easy it is...

04-03-2016 06:14 PM
    I've been using it at more and more places, even where the register is facing the other way, and it's been working 99% of the time. I'm now frequently leaving the house with just my phone and my driver's license.

04-03-2016 06:27 PM
    I've used it several times so far and one place told me it probably wouldn't work bc neither the Android pay or Apple pay apps worked there. I tried and it worked perfect. I don't see how people this takes any longer than using a card though...
    04-03-2016 06:40 PM
252 ... 891011