04-03-2016 06:49 PM
252 12345 ...
tools
    Ok a few things... there still seems to be some confusion about samsung pay. No matter if you come from a 1 horse town or a megatropolis, they can't disable samsung pay without disabling credit cards as a whole. This isn't NFC or apply pay. If you can swipe a card, you can use samsung pay. It makes the credit card swiper think a card was SWIPED, not NFC. The card machine doesn't know that you used your phone, it just knows it got the magnetic information that it was looking for from a credit card.

Even with chip cards and places that accept them it still works. There is a bit info in the chip cards that designate them as having chips. This is why, if you swipe a chip card at target, it will ask you to insert the card instead of swiping. The card number that samsung pay transmits does not have this designator as a chip card so samsung pay will work at places that require chip cards when available.

At gas pumps, Samsung pay will work most of the time, just have to do it right. Press "pay here credit" or whatever buttons you have to do to get the pump to say insert card. Activate samsung pay with your finger print, hold the top of the phone near the insertion slot, then insert and remove your driver's license with the mag strip DOWN (the gas pumps read mag straps on either side at the top of the slot). Inserting the license activates the card reader, which allows it to receive the information that samsung pay is telling it. As many people here have said they only carry a license and their phone, this should be beneficial. And as your doing it yourself without a line of people watching, should be able to experiment and take your time to figure it out with out any stress.

If you find its not working or getting declined, simply as the cashier to press the "credit" button then try again. As for fiddling around and trying to find the sweet spot, just look at slot for the card sniper, look down the slot... you will see a shiny half moon thing in the slot. This is the reader. This is the sweet spot. This is where you should hold the phone, as this is the part that is looking for the signal from Samsung pay.

But the most important thing to remember.... this is NOT apple pay/android pay/NFC. This can't be disabled by the businesses, and it works where you can swipe a card. Chip card readers have no effect on it either.
    03-20-2016 09:18 AM
    I'm using an s7 edge right now. My point was mobile pay in general is a bit if a novelty whether that be Samsung pay, Android pay, or apple pay. I'm in the UK where all debit cards are chip and pin technology so the method of paying with Samsung pay be a bit stuck in the past here. We don't even have Samsung pay here yet for me to try which I definitely will. Apple pay here in the UK you can use almost anywhere and couldn't be simpler to use

Posted via the Android Central App
    Why can't u use Samsung Pay over there? Wouldn't you be able to use it via the NFC feature like Apple?
    03-20-2016 09:25 AM
    I have had Apple Pay since day one and barely use it. I use Samsung Pay everyday just about. The magnetic strip capability is a game changer in mobile payments for now.
    TechGod2014 and Kalnel like this.
    03-20-2016 09:26 AM
    Ok a few things... there still seems to be some confusion about samsung pay. No matter if you come from a 1 horse town or a megatropolis, they can't disable samsung pay without disabling credit cards as a whole. This isn't NFC or apply pay. If you can swipe a card, you can use samsung pay. It makes the credit card swiper think a card was SWIPED, not NFC. The card machine doesn't know that you used your phone, it just knows it got the magnetic information that it was looking for from a credit card.

Even with chip cards and places that accept them it still works. There is a bit info in the chip cards that designate them as having chips. This is why, if you swipe a chip card at target, it will ask you to insert the card instead of swiping. The card number that samsung pay transmits does not have this designator as a chip card so samsung pay will work at places that require chip cards when available.

At gas pumps, Samsung pay will work most of the time, just have to do it right. Press "pay here credit" or whatever buttons you have to do to get the pump to say insert card. Activate samsung pay with your finger print, hold the top of the phone near the insertion slot, then insert and remove your driver's license with the mag strip DOWN (the gas pumps read mag straps on either side at the top of the slot). Inserting the license activates the card reader, which allows it to receive the information that samsung pay is telling it. As many people here have said they only carry a license and their phone, this should be beneficial. And as your doing it yourself without a line of people watching, should be able to experiment and take your time to figure it out with out any stress.

If you find its not working or getting declined, simply as the cashier to press the "credit" button then try again. As for fiddling around and trying to find the sweet spot, just look at slot for the card sniper, look down the slot... you will see a shiny half moon thing in the slot. This is the reader. This is the sweet spot. This is where you should hold the phone, as this is the part that is looking for the signal from Samsung pay.

But the most important thing to remember.... this is NOT apple pay/android pay/NFC. This can't be disabled by the businesses, and it works where you can swipe a card. Chip card readers have no effect on it either.
    Well said!
    03-20-2016 09:29 AM
    My car starts from my phone being present, my house doors unlock from my phone, my phone shares and collects business cards, my phone shows you pictures of my ugly kids. We're already used to our phones being a camera, map, and watch; now we just need phone payments to become normal then we've officially built the future where you only need one accessory when leaving the house. Use it because that will help drive the innovation and development for a lazier world!
    03-20-2016 09:44 AM
    I have had Apple Pay since day one and barely use it. I use Samsung Pay everyday just about. The magnetic strip capability is a game changer in mobile payments for now.
    I think people who don't understand that Samsung Pay works like Apple Pay in places where Apple Pay is accepted think it's a gimmick. Personally I use NFC whenever possible because I find it's a little easier to position the phone right but I have no problems using MST when needed.

I do draw the line though at places where the card reader isn't accessible to me. I'm not handing over my $700 phone to someone.
    03-20-2016 09:59 AM
    I used Android Pay on my previous phone (Galaxy S3) and have now started using Samsung Pay on my Galaxy S7 edge. I really liked Android Pay but there were very few places which had the NFC capability working. Samsung Pay I've been able to use more places. Either of these is my preferred payment method due to the card security offered. I had my credit card replaced four times in two years due to security breaches at retailers. Avoiding this with a virtual card number is a big improvement. Of the two systems I actually prefer Android Pay a bit as I don't have to activate the app to use it, just unlock my phone. My goal now is to find a way to make both apps play well together so I can use Android Pay with NFC is available and Samsung Pay when there is no NFC but I can still use MST.

Samsung is definitely pushing their product hard. Being that my S7e came in early I was able to score the free wireless charger (which I love) as well as the $30 gift card. You can tell they are trying to do what they can to get to critical mass with usage .
    03-20-2016 10:27 AM
    I used Android Pay on my previous phone (Galaxy S3) and have now started using Samsung Pay on my Galaxy S7 edge. I really liked Android Pay but there were very few places which had the NFC capability working. Samsung Pay I've been able to use more places. Either of these is my preferred payment method due to the card security offered. I had my credit card replaced four times in two years due to security breaches at retailers. Avoiding this with a virtual card number is a big improvement. Of the two systems I actually prefer Android Pay a bit as I don't have to activate the app to use it, just unlock my phone. My goal now is to find a way to make both apps play well together so I can use Android Pay with NFC is available and Samsung Pay when there is no NFC but I can still use MST.

Samsung is definitely pushing their product hard. Being that my S7e came in early I was able to score the free wireless charger (which I love) as well as the $30 gift card. You can tell they are trying to do what they can to get to critical mass with usage .
    Not sure if u know this but Samsung pay is easier to activate. If u go into settings u can set it up where all u need to do is swipe up when the phone is sleep/locked and just use ur finger print to activate it. It literally takes seconds.
    03-20-2016 11:14 AM

Not sure if u know this but Samsung pay is easier to activate. If u go into settings u can set it up where all u need to do is swipe up when the phone is sleep/locked and just use ur finger print to activate it. It literally takes seconds.
    Yup it's the Simple Pay setting in the Samsung Pay options. Swipe up from the home screen when the phone is locked, use your fingerprint and boom you're done. Android Pay is pretty cool as well.
    03-20-2016 11:57 AM
    Yup it's the Simple Pay setting in the Samsung Pay options. Swipe up from the home screen when the phone is locked, use your fingerprint and boom you're done. Android Pay is pretty cool as well.
    Actually it's even easier than that. Swipe up from the bottom when the phone is only displaying the clock via the always on display. No need to wake it up, press a button, or unlock the device. Just swipe up, put your thumb on the button, and make your payment. I can do this faster than I can pull my wallet out of my pocket, and get the card out of the wallet. It becomes a seamless motion. As the phone comes out of my pocket, I'm am swiping up. As the phone is going toward the card swiper my finger print is being read, and as fast as the reader beeps, the phone is back in my pocket. It is much faster once you get the hang of it.
    PowrDroid likes this.
    03-20-2016 02:27 PM
    Sounds like a wild west gunfighter drawing and cocking his single action Colt in one motion. You were born in the wrong century.
    03-20-2016 03:07 PM
    Well.... the Springfield xd40 on my hip is the reason I still carry a wallet. It's a nice place for my drivers license, gun license and back up credit card.
    BrockS. and Mr_Bugman like this.
    03-20-2016 03:14 PM
    Definitely not a novelty. I started using apple pay as soon as it was available. It is so convenient. Now I just have to wait for my bank to support Android pay until I can use it again. It is more secure too. You would be surprised where it works. Many times the clerks don't even know it works.

03-20-2016 03:16 PM
    My only gripe with Samsung pay so far is Barclaycard has yet to support it. They also have yet to support Apple Pay in support of their own payment app which is silly in my opinion. They've recently realized this isn't working and promised support of Apply Pay soon so I'm hoping they also get on board with Samsung Pay. I have their grandfathered in SallieMae card which earns 5% back on Groceries, Gas, and Amazon which is absolutely amazing.
    03-20-2016 04:24 PM
    For the people asking about the license thing. You are not required to give your license to an officer, only to show it to them. So a phone would be no different. You don't even have to roll your window down all the way legally. If the officer sites safety as a reason for removing you from the vehicle, he better be right or you can file a complaint and get paid...
    03-20-2016 06:41 PM

may i know why you prefer android pay over samsung pay? If I remember correctly Samsung pay can do NFC payments and MST (magnetic strip) payments. It is actually redundant to have android pay if you have Samsung pay...
    markbc likes this.
    03-20-2016 07:25 PM
    For the people asking about the license thing. You are not required to give your license to an officer, only to show it to them. So a phone would be no different. You don't even have to roll your window down all the way legally. If the officer sites safety as a reason for removing you from the vehicle, he better be right or you can file a complaint and get paid...
    Good luck constitutional warrior. I guarantee you if a cop asks you for your license and you spout this nonsense they will make your life miserable in a situation where you might have otherwise drove away with a warning.
    N4Newbie, Suntan and PowrDroid like this.
    03-20-2016 07:27 PM
    It's a big step in the right direction, but it can't completely replace my wallet, particularly at the grocery store (where I use a magnetic membership card during checkout, which currently don't seem to be supported by Samsung Pay), the gas station, and the DC Metro SmarTrip machines (which use the same type of MST readers as gas stations). Only real problem I've encountered is I froze the self-checkout terminal at Home Depot....
    03-20-2016 07:32 PM
    I'm 55 and refuse to be one of those older people that still have to write a check or count change at the register because they won't use a debit card.

I've used it a few times in the past week. Is it the future? Remains to be seen.
    I'm 69 and use it all the time.
    TechGod2014, markbc and rong21 like this.
    03-20-2016 08:02 PM
    If you go to a restaurant, you most likely will need to have your CC with you. Waiter/waitress comes to your table with the tab, you have to give them your CC to pay. None of them are carrying portable devices so you can use your phone to pay.
    I usually pay cash at restaurants. I personally hate people disappearing with my card for 10 minutes, and I also tip with cash.

This is why I like traveling outside the US. The places I have been (even rural) have brought the CC reader to your TABLE. I really wish this idea would take flight in US.

I love the idea of Token ID's at the CC reader. However, how easy is it to harvest info off your phone in the event its stolen (thinking low due to FP) or if its hacked (no FP needed).

And what is the $200 Samsung is paying people?
    03-20-2016 08:27 PM
    I don't think it will ever be a novelty. I use my Apple Pay everywhere just like I will use Samsung Pay when I can switch. I carry my phone into Starbucks or use my watch to pay. Having to hold my card in my hand in awkward but I can't get the cafeteria at work to make the switch so I stick the card in my pocket but if I am going to McDonalds I just use my phone place the order and back to work. Now it seems no matter where I go people are used to either system and I don't live in a large town
    markbc likes this.
    03-20-2016 09:56 PM
    This is bad legal advice. Police officers have broad authority to confirm a license isn't forged. There have cases where drivers have been arrested and convicted for obstruction for refusing to hand over a driver's license.
    03-20-2016 10:06 PM
    This is bad legal advice. Police officers have broad authority to confirm a license isn't forged. There have cases where drivers have been arrested and convicted for obstruction for refusing to hand over a driver's license.
    And like was said before its a quick way to upset a LEO and ensures you WILL walk away with a ticket versus being polite and being sent on your way. I would still keep my physical license on person JIC until it became mainstream. My guess is true license stuff would allow you to "beam" information to the cruiser.
    03-20-2016 10:10 PM
    It was pretty useful when I got to work this morning and realized I had left my debit card on my desk at home.
    markbc likes this.
    03-20-2016 10:36 PM
    It used to be that the most annoying thing to deal with while waiting in a checkout queue was to see the old lady two spots up take out her f'n check book.

Now that is equalled by seeing the young hipster pull out their phone to pay. Takes just as long once you add in cashier confusion.
    ktabel01 likes this.
    03-20-2016 11:08 PM
252 12345 ...