04-03-2016 06:49 PM
252 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Yes of course you still earn cash back for using a credit card through Samsung Pay. There should not be any difference because its a transaction just like if you use your credit card online and still earn cash back...
    Cool, I'm still learning how it all works. So it's tied to the CC account then. Because I use a credit union for banking but my CC account is with Chase and they'd be more likely to be onboard than the CU right now I'm thinking.
    03-21-2016 11:55 AM
    Cool, I'm still learning how it all works. So it's tied to the CC account then. Because I use a credit union for banking but my CC account is with Chase and they'd be more likely to be onboard than the CU right now I'm thinking.
    I use samsung pay with my Chase Sapphire Preferred and my Chase United Explorer. I still get all points as if I swiped the card.
    03-21-2016 11:59 AM
    An option to using at the gas pump is to go in and pay using the card scanner inside. Of course defeats the purpose of using cards at the pump on the run not having to go inside. but you could do that if you wanted to
    03-21-2016 12:09 PM
    I'm not sure how it works/would work but I am sure there could be privacy features enabled that will lock out the phone when in "license" mode.
    When you have an app open hit the recent apps. And on the app you want there should be a pin on it. Hit that and it's should lock your phone to that app, you can't switch home or to a different app. To get out you have to push back and recent key to get out of it, then it takes you to the lock screen, and have to unlock.

By default it wasn't ask to unlock the phone after.

Go to settings>lock screen and security >other security options >pin windows

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-21-2016 12:09 PM
    An option to using at the gas pump is to go in and pay using the card scanner inside. Of course defeats the purpose of using cards at the pump on the run not having to go inside. but you could do that if you wanted to
    03-21-2016 12:14 PM
    Someone mentioned before that if u slide ur licence in there first it will activate the feature at the pump then u can tap ur phone on it and it should work. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm looking forward in seeing if this works.
    03-21-2016 12:19 PM
    I have started using it on my S7 edge. It works at Vending machines in my office, at various groceries stores and super stores. It works at major outlets while shopping. For me it is not a gimmick. It is evolution. People used cash then switched to Debit Card and Credit card so people did used them. Right?
    I'm always a supporter of new technology and for me Samsung Pay is delivering.
    03-21-2016 12:24 PM
    I own a Nexus 6p right now, but I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 for almost a year up until a couple weeks ago. It was a cool novelty, but definitely not necessary.

By biggest issue was that my bank where I hold my checking account isn't supported, so I couldn't use my most frequently used card with, which was a debit card. In fact, I found that very few banks non-credit-card-issuing are supported. I did have 2-3 credit cards supported, but I don't use those cards often and I didn't like needing to acquire credit card debt to use this new technology. If you use a bank like Bank of America or Citi, you won't have this problem as I believe their check debit cards are supported.

I also found the MST tech to be hit or miss. Certain common terminals like those at TJ Maxx that didn't support NFC payments, were not hospitable to MST for some reason. No matter which way I held the phone, over the slot, next to it, floating it around, it could never receive the beam. After a couple of tries you can feel the stares from people in line wondering why I don't just pull out my damn wallet. I think it's the way the swipe slot is built, which makes it too deep for MST to penetrate from above or even the side.

So using it was always a decent risk of failure, which made me less likely to use it. Granted, I am in a worse boat now with Android Pay, but the feature didn't make me hesitate to jump to the 6p, and it wasn't enough incentive for me to pay twice as much for the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.
    03-21-2016 01:12 PM
    Definitely NOT a novelty but a VERY useful tool.

Like others here who use it a lot the only places I can't use it is at the Gas Station pump and when out dining at restaurants where I have to hand the waiter or waitress my card or when dinning with others to split the tab.

I ride my bicycle a lot and I can easily leave my wallet at home and just bring my phone with me. Also, when using it with NFC terminals there is no need to turn the NFC on to use Samsung Pay as well. Works flawlessly when using it at the train stations or on the Bus.
    03-21-2016 01:14 PM
    When you have an app open hit the recent apps. And on the app you want there should be a pin on it. Hit that and it's should lock your phone to that app, you can't switch home or to a different app. To get out you have to push back and recent key to get out of it, then it takes you to the lock screen, and have to unlock.

By default it wasn't ask to unlock the phone after.

Go to settings>lock screen and security >other security options >pin windows

Posted via the Android Central App
    This is awesome didn't know it exists thanks!
    03-21-2016 01:36 PM
    Not a novelty to me. I use it pretty much every day. Grocery Stores, Target, Macy's, Best Buy, movie theaters, post office Rite Aid, and the list goes on. The only card that I have that's not supported is Discover. My bank is supported but I refuse to use my debit card. I put everything on my credit cards.

My primary is Amex and it works really well with Samsung Pay. I love the fact that with Amex I get a notification of all charges on my card not just the one I initiated with Samsung Pay. Very cool. I get the notification anytime a new charge appears so I keep on top of all activity.
    03-21-2016 02:08 PM
    Not a novelty. I used it twice this weekend at Lowe's and Walmart. Worked flawlessly. No complaints thus far.
    03-21-2016 02:15 PM
    I use it about 5 times per week. Im trying to get comfortable enough to leave my wallet in the car or at home. I know it works at publix, walmart, CVS, and i even used it at bestbuy. In my eyes, it is a very useful tool. And its cool when people see that it actually works in person...
    03-21-2016 02:38 PM
    I have started using it on my S7 edge. It works at Vending machines in my office, at various groceries stores and super stores. It works at major outlets while shopping. For me it is not a gimmick. It is evolution. People used cash then switched to Debit Card and Credit card so people did used them. Right?
    I'm always a supporter of new technology and for me Samsung Pay is delivering.
    I would think if nothing else people would want this for vending machines. I don't always have change or bills on me and who wants their CC number sitting in a vending machine somewhere? No thanks!
    Anu Mantra likes this.
    03-21-2016 02:39 PM
    As the OP, I guess I should have elaborated a little bit more in my question. Yes, I understand that Samsung Pay 'works', but what I was getting at with my question was--Is it easier and faster than pulling out a credit card, and does it work wherever you want to use it?

The answer to easier/faster than a credit card depends on the user (I guess), but I was surprised that many are saying IT IS easier and faster, and, no, it doesn't work everywhere, but sure does in a lot more places than Apple Pay or Android Pay.
    03-21-2016 02:42 PM
    As the OP, I guess I should have elaborated a little bit more in my question. Yes, I understand that Samsung Pay 'works', but what I was getting at with my question was--Is it easier and faster than pulling out a credit card, and does it work wherever you want to use it?

The answer to easier/faster than a credit card depends on the user (I guess), but I was surprised that many are saying IT IS easier and faster, and, no, it doesn't work everywhere, but sure does in a lot more places than Apple Pay or Android Pay.
    Well, it takes a while when you use a credit card with the chip at places where you insert the card and leave it. You also don't have to sign a receipt with Samsung Pay. At least at Home Depot I didn't.
    03-21-2016 02:46 PM
    I'm 55 and refuse to be one of those older people that still have to write a check or count change at the register because they won't use a debit card.

I've used it a few times in the past week. Is it the future? Remains to be seen.
    03-21-2016 03:07 PM
    I'd love to use it if I could get it on my LG phone. I'll never buy another Samsung.
    03-21-2016 03:08 PM
    I would think if nothing else people would want this for vending machines. I don't always have change or bills on me and who wants their CC number sitting in a vending machine somewhere? No thanks!
    Your credit card number doesn't sit in a vending machine.
    03-21-2016 03:09 PM
    I'd love to use it if I could get it on my LG phone. I'll never buy another Samsung.
    You might change your mind if you try out the S7 for a few weeks...complete overhaul and touchwiz is actually now a positive.
    03-21-2016 03:09 PM
    03-21-2016 03:10 PM
    All points are valid.

My biggest reason for using S Pay is the safety factor. After being skimmed multiple times last year I will gladly use just about anything that will all but guarantee not to be able to have to go thru that trouble.

The time issue is the one part I do disagree. As chip and pin is becoming more abundant it is far faster to use the phone then waiting for the the reader to verify the chip. If I don't have to stick my card into the machine and just swipe it,it is about the same time to pull out the phone vs. wallet
    03-21-2016 04:25 PM
    I'm 65 and like tech stuff. When first hearing of this years ago with google wallet, I loved the idea of driving up to order at take out and instead of undoing my seat belt, digging to get my wallet out back pocket to pay, just keeping my seat belt on, reaching up into my shirt pocket, opening up my E-wallet and touching the reader, back in my pocket with phone, grab food and driving away. I've been doing that several years now at MDee but no where else. Now, with Samsung Pay I can do it most everywhere I would use my atm check card or visa credit card. Got the new GS7 and I'm using it everywhere (except places you have to stick the card in like gas station) Anyway, it comes with the phone, what is the big problem. Just download the app and use it (if your bank is in the list) Like someone else said prev entry, once you get use to using it you will love it. Yes, it will get better with software updates. It is not a novelty to me but a great tool. I think it is GREAT ! Used last week at MDee, Best Buy, Food Lion, Pilot, KFC. Some clerks were very surprised it worked since they had old card readers just like in the Sub sandwich commercial.Why can't people look from the other perspective on things like this with what is good about stuff instead of what's wrong with stuff. In the old world of nfc readers, it worked at 10% of places because most places didn't have the new readers. Now with Samsung Pay, it will work at 90% of the places because Samsung bought Loop Pay which was the card reader software. Win Win I still have my cards and use them where I need to, but I don't go home crying because I had to. Come on guys, stop whining about everything. Just enjoy it
    Progers-

Way to go young man, I'm 71 and had one of the first cell phones, Motorola, Brick, back then it cost you a buck to make a one minute call. I too, have gone through the Google Wallet thing and Android Pay. In my opinion using SP, anywhere from five to ten times a week is a "hoot". I have had a few comments from "teeny" cashiers, such as "way to go sir", "you must keep up with tech stuff." Yes, I do, I love all this stuff. I've had Android devices since Cupcake to Lollipop OS, bring on the new tech for me!
    03-21-2016 05:56 PM
    Your credit card number doesn't sit in a vending machine.
    It was a figure of speech. Like some ATM'S it could have a fake card reader on it scanning your magnetic strip. Better safe than sorry.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    03-21-2016 06:11 PM
    The BEST part about Samsung Pay (or Apple or Google's version) is that your ACTUAL credit card info is kept safe! When you pay with your phone it is using a different card number than your actual credit card...one that ONLY works when you use your phone and your phone sends in authorization to pay. If the vendor you are paying at gets hacked, they get NOTHING other than a completely useless number that will not work without your phone!

Of course, it's up to the user to make sure the PHONE is secured properly so no one else can use it...and of course, your card data is stored by Samsung (or Apple or Google)...and that info could, theoretically, be hacked into...but it is a HELL of a lot more secure than just swiping your physical card at every terminal!
    03-21-2016 06:34 PM
252 ... 34567 ...