Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?

nate wilborn

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The only thing keeping me from being able to just keep my credit card at home is at most sit down places they need to take your card from the table to the register. Anyplace I would have to hand my phone to a server to take or to use I wont be doing that.

Then at gas stations etc I normally pay at the pump and those are embedded readers and didn't work for Samsung pay.

I find it extremely convenient at the places I can use it even though its only been a week so far trying. But, yes there is a novelty factor in that you cant use it 100% of the time and still haven't to have a card around.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'll have it soon if the VZW S7E I have on order comes with it. I've learned it works on the swipe area so you're not committed to nfc readers. Does it also come with nfc?

Verizon blocked us a few years ago with Google wallet. It wouldn't work but the work around was to change the build.prop file to make the phone think it was a galaxy nexus.

It was kind of a novelty 3 1/2 years ago to pay that way. Not so much now. Of course you were limited to those card readers that showed that wifi symbol. I got a little tired of the phone thinking it was a nexus and changed back.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'll have it soon if the VZW S7E I have on order comes with it. I've learned it works on the swipe area so you're not committed to nfc readers. Does it also come with nfc?

Verizon blocked us a few years ago with Google wallet. It wouldn't work but the work around was to change the build.prop file to make the phone think it was a galaxy nexus.

It was kind of a novelty 3 1/2 years ago to pay that way. Not so much now. Of course you were limited to those card readers that showed that wifi symbol. I got a little tired of the phone thinking it was a nexus and changed back.

Yes, it works with NFC readers too. Based on my experience using it for about 6 months (S6 Edge+ before), it works with NFC everywhere Android Pay is supported.

Posted via the Android Central App

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
If you go to a restaurant, you most likely will need to have your CC with you. Waiter/waitress comes to your table with the tab, you have to give them your CC to pay. None of them are carrying portable devices so you can use your phone to pay.

I live in the US, but outside the US, in Europe and in Canada, at most restaurants they do bring the credit card reader to the table. I far prefer that, because giving your server a credit card means in the very rare case of that person being a thief, they can very easily steal all of the info on the card.

One day we'll catch up, but at that point, we'll also only support cards with smart cards in them instead of magnetic strips, and at that point, Samsung Pay's biggest advantage over Apple and Android Pay will go away.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
By the way, I'm not sure what these videos are of people awkwardly trying to use Samsung Pay are, but I can tell you that once you get used to it, it's very easy, and it's not awkward. You get used to the angle you have to hold it in for it to transmit the MST signal. It even works with mobile Square payments that a lot of smaller vendors use and connect to their iPhones or iPads.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
lol so no store in your entire town takes credit cards? this isn't apple pay........

LOL a town of 500 people. I tried it at the grocery store and caseys. They've disabled it since most people have small purchases. We still have a pull up gas station where they fill it for you. We finally have a caseys. :)

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, so far we have:

1. It's faster than pulling out your wallet and removing a credit card. I find this hard to believe, having viewed several videos showing people using Samsung Pay. The need to hover the phone alongside the card reader for several seconds is longer than it takes for me to pull out my card and swipe it.

True, but as card chips are gaining popularity, gone is the quick swipe and walk away move . Chip readers are ridiculously slow and annoying. Samsung pay is quicker than those readers in my experience.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think mostly novelty, but there is one advantage. The phone generates a one-time use card#, so someone trying to skim your card isn't going to get anything useful. I might use it at gas stations and other places where the card reader is easily accessible just for that reason. In general, though, I think it's easier to pull out a credit card. And I'm not about to hand my $700 glass backed phone to a waiter.

Edit: Just read the posts indicating it won't work at gas stations. That sucks, since it's where I would most want to use it.

In any case, I'm not interested enough to activate it yet. Maybe Samsung will come out with a better promo for activation later.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
It's worth activating and using once for the $30 free credit you get from Samsung from your choice of various vendors.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I carry numerous cards on me at all times because I get cash back from each category differently. It's so much easier to just have all my cards on my phone. I usually carry my phone in my hand at all times anyways so it is just so much quicker. Swiping up from the screen off with my thumb on the home key I can authenticate and pay in under a second. It's also faster at processing the payment vs the new chip and signature which in my experience takes 10+ seconds.

At first I thought Samsung Pay would not replace my wallet but now I use it more and more to the point where I only carry my wallet in case it doesn't work or my phone dies. Lets be honest, eventually electronic payments will make plastic obsolete (or a not-cool hassle such as someone writing a check or paying cash). It will take time but I will gladly take the convenience now and be an early adopter.

As others have said some states are already trialing digital drivers' license. I imagine in 20 years we will all have digital licenses + passports so this is the direction the world is moving.

dizzll

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Love not carrying anything but ID and my phone. Places like the beach or Vegas strip, it's awesome. No wallet necessary.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I carry numerous cards on me at all times because I get cash back from each category differently. It's so much easier to just have all my cards on my phone. I usually carry my phone in my hand at all times anyways so it is just so much quicker. Swiping up from the screen off with my thumb on the home key I can authenticate and pay in under a second. It's also faster at processing the payment vs the new chip and signature which in my experience takes 10+ seconds.

Last thing I ever want to do is hand my phone over to a cop, so he can take it back to his car. I prefer my license to be totally separate from my phone.

At first I thought Samsung Pay would not replace my wallet but now I use it more and more to the point where I only carry my wallet in case it doesn't work or my phone dies. Lets be honest, eventually electronic payments will make plastic obsolete (or a not-cool hassle such as someone writing a check or paying cash). It will take time but I will gladly take the convenience now and be an early adopter.

As others have said some states are already trialing digital drivers' license. I imagine in 20 years we will all have digital licenses + passports so this is the direction the world is moving.

Last think I want to do is hand over my phone to a cop so he can take it back to his car. By handing the phone to the cop, you are basically giving him/her the right to search. I prefer to keep my license separate and not in my phone.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Last think I want to do is hand over my phone to a cop so he can take it back to his car. By handing the phone to the cop, you are basically giving him/her the right to search. I prefer to keep my license separate and not in my phone.

I'm not sure how it works/would work but I am sure there could be privacy features enabled that will lock out the phone when in "license" mode.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Works perfectly for me. Plus like others have said it's much safer because you don't use ur real card number. Samsung gave me 100 bucks to use it on my S6 and now a 30 dollar gift card for using it on my new S7E which I used to buy this awesome Tech 21 case from best buy. Sometimes u need to tap it more than once, but thats more of a terminal issue. I've done worn out the magnetic strip on my cards plenty of times and sat there while that new chip technology crashed a register. I'd say Samsung Pay is a homerun with me.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree I love using it and have only done it 3 times. The Best Buy guy showed me how it worked but then I couldn't get it to work but I wasn't doing it right. But then it worked and my husband can use it at his work at the vending machine so we both got the $30 gift cards. I used my Best Buy one to purchase the fast wireless charger which was on sale for 55.99 but anyway the other day at the grocery Kroger the person behind me goes did you just pay with your phone? It was so cool but so convenient of not having to dig through my purse for my wallet. Now today at my nail salon I didn't think it worked and I said oh let me just get out my card and then the slip printed and it worked. I loved it! I'll use it whenever I can. But like Android Pay on our M9 I had my restaurant gift cards on their and the guy took my phone but I won't let anyone take this phone. But yeah it's cool but also handy and quick I think.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OK, so far we have:

1. It's faster than pulling out your wallet and removing a credit card. I find this hard to believe, having viewed several videos showing people using Samsung Pay. The need to hover the phone alongside the card reader for several seconds is longer than it takes for me to pull out my card and swipe it.

2. You don't have to carry a wallet. Valid point, but you still need to carry a driver's license. Years ago I used to carry my driver's license and my bank debit card tucked inside folded over currency, a very minimal package. So I see the no wallet thing as being a convenience.

3. People can't see your PIN. I use my bank card as a credit card, I don't use my PIN, so I don't see that as an advantage.

4. Samsung Pay uses a token number instead of your actual card number, so if someone hacks the card reading machine they won't get your credit card number. Yep, that's an advantage.

For number 2 you don't need it while shopping. Hence my point of people leaving the wallet or whatever in the car so they only have a phone on them.

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a phone case that holds my drivers license and credit card, so I just carry my phone. I use mobile payments sometimes but it is faster and easier to pull out the phone and use the credit card. Mobile payments are not good at drive up windows, sit down restaurants, movie theater windows and other places. If I have to carry a driver's license I may as well carry a credit card.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Its all i use now. Take couple try to make it go through. Often time, cashier are fascinated by it and eagerly to learn as well. Just remember do not place your phone by NFC, place your phone right directly to the magnet side and watch the screen until it is complete. Simple.