Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes of course you still earn cash back for using a credit card through Samsung Pay. There should not be any difference because its a transaction just like if you use your credit card online and still earn cash back...

Cool, I'm still learning how it all works. So it's tied to the CC account then. Because I use a credit union for banking but my CC account is with Chase and they'd be more likely to be onboard than the CU right now I'm thinking.

Notmyj

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Cool, I'm still learning how it all works. So it's tied to the CC account then. Because I use a credit union for banking but my CC account is with Chase and they'd be more likely to be onboard than the CU right now I'm thinking.

I use samsung pay with my Chase Sapphire Preferred and my Chase United Explorer. I still get all points as if I swiped the card.

progers

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
An option to using at the gas pump is to go in and pay using the card scanner inside. Of course defeats the purpose of using cards at the pump on the run not having to go inside. but you could do that if you wanted to

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how it works/would work but I am sure there could be privacy features enabled that will lock out the phone when in "license" mode.

When you have an app open hit the recent apps. And on the app you want there should be a pin on it. Hit that and it's should lock your phone to that app, you can't switch home or to a different app. To get out you have to push back and recent key to get out of it, then it takes you to the lock screen, and have to unlock.

By default it wasn't ask to unlock the phone after.

Go to settings>lock screen and security >other security options >pin windows

Posted via the Android Central App

progers

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
An option to using at the gas pump is to go in and pay using the card scanner inside. Of course defeats the purpose of using cards at the pump on the run not having to go inside. but you could do that if you wanted to

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site

Someone mentioned before that if u slide ur licence in there first it will activate the feature at the pump then u can tap ur phone on it and it should work. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm looking forward in seeing if this works.

Anu Mantra

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I have started using it on my S7 edge. It works at Vending machines in my office, at various groceries stores and super stores. It works at major outlets while shopping. For me it is not a gimmick. It is evolution. People used cash then switched to Debit Card and Credit card so people did used them. Right?
I'm always a supporter of new technology and for me Samsung Pay is delivering.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I own a Nexus 6p right now, but I had a Samsung Galaxy S6 for almost a year up until a couple weeks ago. It was a cool novelty, but definitely not necessary.

By biggest issue was that my bank where I hold my checking account isn't supported, so I couldn't use my most frequently used card with, which was a debit card. In fact, I found that very few banks non-credit-card-issuing are supported. I did have 2-3 credit cards supported, but I don't use those cards often and I didn't like needing to acquire credit card debt to use this new technology. If you use a bank like Bank of America or Citi, you won't have this problem as I believe their check debit cards are supported.

I also found the MST tech to be hit or miss. Certain common terminals like those at TJ Maxx that didn't support NFC payments, were not hospitable to MST for some reason. No matter which way I held the phone, over the slot, next to it, floating it around, it could never receive the beam. After a couple of tries you can feel the stares from people in line wondering why I don't just pull out my damn wallet. I think it's the way the swipe slot is built, which makes it too deep for MST to penetrate from above or even the side.

So using it was always a decent risk of failure, which made me less likely to use it. Granted, I am in a worse boat now with Android Pay, but the feature didn't make me hesitate to jump to the 6p, and it wasn't enough incentive for me to pay twice as much for the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Definitely NOT a novelty but a VERY useful tool.

Like others here who use it a lot the only places I can't use it is at the Gas Station pump and when out dining at restaurants where I have to hand the waiter or waitress my card or when dinning with others to split the tab.

I ride my bicycle a lot and I can easily leave my wallet at home and just bring my phone with me. Also, when using it with NFC terminals there is no need to turn the NFC on to use Samsung Pay as well. Works flawlessly when using it at the train stations or on the Bus.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
When you have an app open hit the recent apps. And on the app you want there should be a pin on it. Hit that and it's should lock your phone to that app, you can't switch home or to a different app. To get out you have to push back and recent key to get out of it, then it takes you to the lock screen, and have to unlock.

By default it wasn't ask to unlock the phone after.

Go to settings>lock screen and security >other security options >pin windows

Posted via the Android Central App

This is awesome didn't know it exists thanks!

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not a novelty to me. I use it pretty much every day. Grocery Stores, Target, Macy's, Best Buy, movie theaters, post office Rite Aid, and the list goes on. The only card that I have that's not supported is Discover. My bank is supported but I refuse to use my debit card. I put everything on my credit cards.

My primary is Amex and it works really well with Samsung Pay. I love the fact that with Amex I get a notification of all charges on my card not just the one I initiated with Samsung Pay. Very cool. I get the notification anytime a new charge appears so I keep on top of all activity.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I use it about 5 times per week. Im trying to get comfortable enough to leave my wallet in the car or at home. I know it works at publix, walmart, CVS, and i even used it at bestbuy. In my eyes, it is a very useful tool. And its cool when people see that it actually works in person...

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have started using it on my S7 edge. It works at Vending machines in my office, at various groceries stores and super stores. It works at major outlets while shopping. For me it is not a gimmick. It is evolution. People used cash then switched to Debit Card and Credit card so people did used them. Right?
I'm always a supporter of new technology and for me Samsung Pay is delivering.

I would think if nothing else people would want this for vending machines. I don't always have change or bills on me and who wants their CC number sitting in a vending machine somewhere? No thanks!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As the OP, I guess I should have elaborated a little bit more in my question. Yes, I understand that Samsung Pay 'works', but what I was getting at with my question was--Is it easier and faster than pulling out a credit card, and does it work wherever you want to use it?

The answer to easier/faster than a credit card depends on the user (I guess), but I was surprised that many are saying IT IS easier and faster, and, no, it doesn't work everywhere, but sure does in a lot more places than Apple Pay or Android Pay.

throttlehappy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
As the OP, I guess I should have elaborated a little bit more in my question. Yes, I understand that Samsung Pay 'works', but what I was getting at with my question was--Is it easier and faster than pulling out a credit card, and does it work wherever you want to use it?

The answer to easier/faster than a credit card depends on the user (I guess), but I was surprised that many are saying IT IS easier and faster, and, no, it doesn't work everywhere, but sure does in a lot more places than Apple Pay or Android Pay.

Well, it takes a while when you use a credit card with the chip at places where you insert the card and leave it. You also don't have to sign a receipt with Samsung Pay. At least at Home Depot I didn't.