Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?

throttlehappy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Went to Home Depot the other day in the self checkout line and it didn't work. Today I went to Big 5 and the girl says "I don't think....." as it goes through. She says "I've never seen it work before." I said it's not Apple Pay, that's why. The other cashier starts laughing.

I love using it because it's easier and faster. No need to sign anything.

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
At gas pumps, Samsung pay will work most of the time, just have to do it right. Press "pay here credit" or whatever buttons you have to do to get the pump to say insert card. Activate samsung pay with your finger print, hold the top of the phone near the insertion slot, then insert and remove your driver's license with the mag strip DOWN (the gas pumps read mag straps on either side at the top of the slot). Inserting the license activates the card reader, which allows it to receive the information that samsung pay is telling it. As many people here have said they only carry a license and their phone, this should be beneficial. And as your doing it yourself without ra line of people watching, should be able to experiment and take your time to figure it out with out any stress.

If you find its not working or getting declined, simply as the cashier to press the "credit" button then try again. As for fiddling around and trying to find the sweet spot, just look at slot for the card sniper, look down the slot... you will see a shiny half moon thing in the slot. This is the reader. This is the sweet spot. This is where you should hold the phone, as this is the part that is looking for the signal from Samsung pay.

But the most important thing to remember.... this is NOT apple pay/android pay/NFC. This can't be disabled by the businesses, and it works where you can swipe a card. Chip card readers have no effect on it eithe.

So I just tried this out today and thank to your tip it worked. The only mistake i made was using a card with a mag stripe (rewards card) as the reader actually tried to read the data and said invalid information. I reversed the card so the reader wouldn not read my stripe (this is just to get the mag head to activate in listening mode) and held my vibrating phone next to the reader and it then asked me for my pin (i chose debit and it was a debit card i was using in Samsung Pay) and that's when I knew it worked.

Given a lot gas stations are hit with the fake readers, this is the secure way to do it without clerk interaction or having to go inside.

lyun17

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with that, unless you want to follow them all the way to behind the register, which they don't allow you to do. I'm sure not going to follow a waitress like a puppy dog. I never worry. Bank always reverses the charges. It's painless.

I have a Banana Republic credit card that I only used at the store. One time I decided to use the card at a restaurant in NYC. A month later I had a charge of $300 at a Rite Aid in Maryland. I always swiped the card myself at Banana Republic and maybe handed the cashier my card once or twice for verification but unless they can memorize all 16 digits in under 2 seconds in front of me then I'm pretty sure the person at the restaurant did something when they took it to the register behind me for over 5 minutes.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a Banana Republic credit card that I only used at the store. One time I decided to use the card at a restaurant in NYC. A month later I had a charge of $300 at a Rite Aid in Maryland. I always swiped the card myself at Banana Republic and maybe handed the cashier my card once or twice for verification but unless they can memorize all 16 digits in under 2 seconds in front of me then I'm pretty sure the person at the restaurant did something when they took it to the register behind me for over 5 minutes.

Thank you, that was my point. I've done heard this story too many times. It's happened to people that I know personally. There was a local article about this one waitress at a particular restaurant doing this type of thing to several customers. That's why my card never leaves my site until they come out with a card that has no numbers on it. Maybe there is one for all I know. Time for a Google search I guess lol.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't care about this since I haven't been asked for my ID for using a CC in .. years and years lol.

I hadn't either, until I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Virtually EVERYONE asked for ID. I guess credit card fraud is a big problem there.

Rule #1 never give the waiter/waitress your credit card.In other words, never let the card leave your sight.

But you got your money back, right? I wouldn't hand a debit card to someone who's going to take it out of sight, but with a credit card you've got no liability for fraudulent purchases. Most of the big issuers now frequently detect fraud as it happens. I got a call a month or so ago that someone was trying to use my credit card number for a purchase that didn't fit my profile, and the card issuer was calling to verify if the charge was legit. Never showed up on my account, and I had a new card in a few days.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I always pay cash at restaurants. I used to work in a high traffic restaurant, and people would be shocked if they knew how many people are fired every year for CC theft.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I always pay cash at restaurants. I used to work in a high traffic restaurant, and people would be shocked if they knew how many people are fired every year for CC theft.

Nice knowing that I am not the only one who pays with cash at restaurants. Not too fond of paying Russian Roulette with my CC.

armwood

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I use Samsung Pay all of the time. I like pulling my phone out instead of my wallet. Less chance of me dropping my cards as I sometimes do. Sometimes it is slow working. That is annoying. Overall I like to use it.

Vivek31

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I think it's ridiculous. It takes no time to take out my wallet, pick a card and swipe. You guys have to take out your huge phone, fingerprint unlock, then open an app then point to the machine? No thanks. If you gotta type a pin to open your phone, then you can type your pin on the machine.

I prefer cash anyway. I'm not a fan of fingerprint readers either. I'm not even old.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
So I just tried this out today and thank to your tip it worked. The only mistake i made was using a card with a mag stripe (rewards card) as the reader actually tried to read the data and said invalid information. I reversed the card so the reader wouldn not read my stripe (this is just to get the mag head to activate in listening mode) and held my vibrating phone next to the reader and it then asked me for my pin (i chose debit and it was a debit card i was using in Samsung Pay) and that's when I knew it worked.

Given a lot gas stations are hit with the fake readers, this is the secure way to do it without clerk interaction or having to go inside.

But it kinda defeats the point of Samsung Pay. At least for me. My license and other cards are with my debit card in my wallet. So if I have to pull out a card to use Samsung Pay at a gas pump, it's pointless, because I just pull out my debit card and start pumping the gas much quicker.

Sirx

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it's ridiculous. It takes no time to take out my wallet, pick a card and swipe. You guys have to take out your huge phone, fingerprint unlock, then open an app then point to the machine? No thanks. If you gotta type a pin to open your phone, then you can type your pin on the machine.

I prefer cash anyway. I'm not a fan of fingerprint readers either. I'm not even old.

That's about the last bit of misinformation I can stand. I understand if you prefer cash or think that it looks silly to pull out your phone or whatever.

But the idea that it is difficult to use Samsung Pay is complete and utter fiction. You press the home button once, swipe up to bring up your card for payment (Samsung Pay works from the lockscreen), and rest your finger on the home button for a fingerprint scan (takes about one second). It takes about 3-4 seconds to get from unlocked to pay-ready. And if you know that you are going to make the purchase with your phone, you obviously follow the process BEFORE it's time to pay (just as a sane person pulls their credit card from their wallet or purse while the cashier is ringing them up)

As you can tell, yes I love it and use it all the time, as I constantly misplace my wallet (and it was the deciding factor for me getting a Note 5 over the Nexus 6P). You don't have to use it if you don't want to. But it is NOT difficult, time consuming, etc., to use if you so choose.

smxjot

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I has been using it since 3 months ago.

Here my opinion:

1.- Yes is a novelty but I like to use it to pay, will I keep using it to pay? I think yes, is simple and is more likely you have in your hand the phone than the wallet.

2.- You need to be patient with the people in some places when they believe you can't pay with it.

3.- I believe is depending on the phone but if you have many apps open the samsung pay can take some time to open and read your fingerprint.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I seem to be having a problem at machines that ask for a PIN. It recognizes my Samsung Pay and then I choose Debit and put in my normal PIN for my Debit card but it always gets declined. Does Samsung Pay assign its own PIN I'm supposed to use? I didn't see anything like that when I set it up. Or could the problem be that SP doesn't do the payment as Debit and I'm supposed to choose Credit? My card is a Debit/Credit card.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
...That's why my card never leaves my site until they come out with a card that has no numbers on it. ...

Generally they are not just writing down the numbers, they are using a skimmer to scan the mag stripe. Doesn't matter if there are visible numbers on it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Nice knowing that I am not the only one who pays with cash at restaurants. Not too fond of paying Russian Roulette with my CC.

I ain't worried. I have had my CC stolen. It was replaced within 3 days (new one in my mailbox), charges removed, and life went on. CC is not something I worry about having fraud done to it since it is usually very easy to prove you didn't make the purchase.

Debit on the other hand? Never. I never use my Debit except for ATM machines since the cash would be gone right out of the account if they did it.

lyun17

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't either, until I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Virtually EVERYONE asked for ID. I guess credit card fraud is a big problem there.

But you got your money back, right? I wouldn't hand a debit card to someone who's going to take it out of sight, but with a credit card you've got no liability for fraudulent purchases. Most of the big issuers now frequently detect fraud as it happens. I got a call a month or so ago that someone was trying to use my credit card number for a purchase that didn't fit my profile, and the card issuer was calling to verify if the charge was legit. Never showed up on my account, and I had a new card in a few days.

Yeah I got the money back. My account was frozen and they told me about the suspicious charge. I'm glad credit companies do look out for you more frequently now.

Also, has anyone noticed that if you swipe up from the above the home button it automatically brings up Samsung Pay. There's no need to press the home button and then swipe up. I noticed yesterday when I was wiping my screen and Samsung Pay kept activating. If the screen is off and you swipe up from right above the home button it activates it.

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
But it kinda defeats the point of Samsung Pay. At least for me. My license and other cards are with my debit card in my wallet. So if I have to pull out a card to use Samsung Pay at a gas pump, it's pointless, because I just pull out my debit card and start pumping the gas much quicker.

I think you are missing the point of a secure transaction versus having your CC/Debt card number exposed.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463