Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone mention that you may like using different cards in different locales. Sometimes Macy's or whoever only gives you sale price or bonus if you use their card. I wouldn't even know which card to use. I would prefer to use my debit card but fear security and the pin required issue nobody has answered. Also what about machines that ask debit or credit? You answer on their machine or on your phone?

ktabel01

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Still faster for me to use a card. Only ever had my card hacked when using it for online shopping, and actually the same day I registered it for Samsung pay. It's a novelty for me.

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone mention that you may like using different cards in different locales. Sometimes Macy's or whoever only gives you sale price or bonus if you use their card. I wouldn't even know which card to use. I would prefer to use my debit card but fear security and the pin required issue nobody has answered. Also what about machines that ask debit or credit? You answer on their machine or on your phone?

Well, a store branded card is basically an account with them (say Macy's) so it's not an approved Samsung Pay bank issued card. The only thing is that with that card it can only be used at their stores (if stolen then can be used as well) so not much you can do.

As for debit/credit, just choose the type depending upon what SP card you will be using. I have both my debit and credit card on my phone and debit works if you choose debit.

Looking at past posts though sometimes you have to choose credit in order for debit to work as well (debit card should have perhaps the visa logo so should run as credit).

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it's ridiculous. It takes no time to take out my wallet, pick a card and swipe. You guys have to take out your huge phone, fingerprint unlock, then open an app then point to the machine? No thanks. If you gotta type a pin to open your phone, then you can type your pin on the machine.

I prefer cash anyway. I'm not a fan of fingerprint readers either. I'm not even old.

You don't have to put in a pin or even unlock your phone. Most people have their phone handy anyways.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I see a lot of people carrying their phones in hand constantly. I'm not that married to mine and usually have it tucked safely into a pocket. As stated above pulling it out always has the remote or not so remote chance of dropping it. Much easier still to just swipe a card. so a novelty for me I guess at least for now. One thing I noticed on a recent flight was how many use their phones to scan themselves in at the gate. One guy tried several times holding up the line before finally getting it.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
But it kinda defeats the point of Samsung Pay. At least for me. My license and other cards are with my debit card in my wallet. So if I have to pull out a card to use Samsung Pay at a gas pump, it's pointless, because I just pull out my debit card and start pumping the gas much quicker.

They point is that it's way safer to use Samsung Pay, especially since CC fraud is at an all time high at gas station pumps.

DarenTx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I've used Android Pay twice. What I loved about it was that it was instant. Swiping my card is not. After swiping you have to answer a minimum of three questions. As soon as I put my phone over the sensor it beeps and I'm done.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
You don't have to put in a pin or even unlock your phone. Most people have their phone handy anyways.

Um, when I use it at some places the machine does indeed ask for a PIN after I select debit card on it. When I put my PIN in it gets declined and I have to use my card anyway. I asked earlier in this topic if SP assigns a PIN to be used somewhere or if it can't be used as a Debit but no one answered.

Andy Adler

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Um, when I use it at some places the machine does indeed ask for a PIN after I select debit card on it. When I put my PIN in it gets declined and I have to use my card anyway. I asked earlier in this topic if SP assigns a PIN to be used somewhere or if it can't be used as a Debit but no one answered.
I've used Samsung Pay with my debit card multiple times, inputting my PIN when prompted just as if I'd swiped the card conventionally. No issues.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I used Samsung pay this morning for the first time. I guess I'm somewhere between the extremes of this thread.

I found it easy enough to use. A little more complicated than just swiping a card, but definitely quicker than using a chip-enabled card reader. It's certainly not hard to use, as some people (mostly those who haven't used it) seem to think. OTOH, I don't see any major advantage to it beyond the security aspect, which doesn't trouble me all that much. I have multiple cards, so if one account does get hacked I'll just use another for a the few days it takes to get that card replaced.

I don't use debit cards for purchases, but if I did I would find the security advantage of Pay much more important. The tokenization of your account number will keep a thief who skims your card from emptying out your account before you realize it happened.

I guess if I were one of those people who can't go 30 seconds without checking Faceplant or texting with someone, and always had my phone in my hand, I might find using Pay easier than pulling my wallet out of my pocket. But since my phone is likely to be in my pocket anyway, there's no real advantage there.

In summary, I find it perfectly usable, but for me not significantly better or worse than using a credit card. Another option to have available.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've used Android Pay twice. What I loved about it was that it was instant. Swiping my card is not. After swiping you have to answer a minimum of three questions. As soon as I put my phone over the sensor it beeps and I'm done.

I'm curious, what questions? I find that I just swipe a card and I'm done. No questions to answer. In most places, I don't even have to sign if the purchase is under $25 or $35.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Just watched a bunch of YouTube videos of people using Samsung Pay. Besides the Wow factor is there really any advantage to using Samsung Pay?

Everybody that I saw using it needed to hold it awkwardly next to the card reader slot for a couple of seconds for it to read their credit card data. If the transaction was over the minimum amount the user still needed to manually push the credit or debit button.

Then there is the process of taking out your phone, scanning your fingerprint, tapping the screen, holding it up to the card reader, fidgeting it around until the magnetic fields align, etc.

Then there is the whole unpleasant idea of handing your phone to the cashier or needing to reach around the register to engage the card reader.

Seems to me it would be faster and more convenient to simply pull out your credit card and swipe it. But it wouldn't be as cool as Samsung Pay!

Is there any real advantage to using Samsung Pay vs. simply swiping your card?

I am really averse to picking up that ”pen" and signing my name, especially during flu season (gross!), so there is one advantage.

Anything else?

It is both. I only have one card in my wallet now for the very few times Samsung Pay does not work. It is more secure than using the plastic card as the number the merchant gets is a one time use number. Plus it is fun to use

Posted via the Android Central App

Chadlessness

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It is the future. It is more secure, in that it doesn't really use my actually Credit Card number. It is nice to not have to reach for my wallet all the time. I don't think it will replace plastic cards, but I think it will become as widely used at some point. I used Android Pay for a while. I liked the idea of it being Android and NOT tied to Samsung's branding, I mean what if (God forbid) I want to own something besides a Galaxy some day? There where issue with Android Pay, it wasn't accepted very many places at all, and the few times I did get to use it like at McDonald and a few other places, it was SSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. I mean like 30 seconds to start processing, by that time people are looking at you like..... HURRY UP MAN, and PUT YOUR STUPID PHONE UP DORK! most unpleasant. With Samsung Pay, I've found this not to be the case. Rather paying at a NFC terminal or a regular card swipe terminal both where very fast. Some card swipe terms still required me to do the normal entering of my pin an what not. Basically the phone just transmitted the the card swipe info in place of swiping the card (pretty slick) but still served the purpose of not having to have a card with me at all.

hanzoap

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I think it's a useful tool coz there's many functions that you could easily use and it is handy. Samsung has been launching great phones that are entertaining and at the same time useful. They always see to it that it adapts to our needs in our daily life.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I also think this makes for another option for those who prefer it. The day will come when this will all seem antiquated. Maybe a fingerprint scanner at the checkout and everywhere else we interact. The implanted chip is probably coming as well. I see NFC being useful for some and not as much for others.
When I go about my day I see quite a few people with their phones out and either doing something or waiting for something to do them. The rest of us use the phones as needed and it's in our pockets until needed, pulling it out to pay is not needed when it's just as easy to pull out a card. As for the small amount of seconds saved by using a phone already in your hand will free that person up for more facetime with their phone. Not sure thats a good thing. Every minute staring at their phones means they're not seeing anything else.

Off topic for a sec, Side note: Talked to my daughter a while back and said I don't see you on Facebook anymore. She said she dumped it. I decided to dump it as well and have never felt more liberated. How many cat vids or pics of food do I need to see anyway?
Point of this, less connection can be a good thing.

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I thought you meant activating Samsung Pay on your phone. My bad...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It is the future. It is more secure, in that it doesn't really use my actually Credit Card number. It is nice to not have to reach for my wallet all the time. I don't think it will replace plastic cards, but I think it will become as widely used at some point. I used Android Pay for a while. I liked the idea of it being Android and NOT tied to Samsung's branding, I mean what if (God forbid) I want to own something besides a Galaxy some day? There where issue with Android Pay, it wasn't accepted very many places at all, and the few times I did get to use it like at McDonald and a few other places, it was SSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. I mean like 30 seconds to start processing, by that time people are looking at you like..... HURRY UP MAN, and PUT YOUR STUPID PHONE UP DORK! most unpleasant. With Samsung Pay, I've found this not to be the case. Rather paying at a NFC terminal or a regular card swipe terminal both where very fast. Some card swipe terms still required me to do the normal entering of my pin an what not. Basically the phone just transmitted the the card swipe info in place of swiping the card (pretty slick) but still served the purpose of not having to have a card with me at all.
Nah... The future is an embedded chip and/or a fjngerprint or other biometric method of id which is attached to your "bank" or currency holder.

friguy3

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Use mine all the time. But remember, if you return something, you need to use it as its a different card number
Example-used it at home depot. went to return something and had to use it to prove my purchase, but, it wouldnt work. I taped that damn phone 10 times over and over. The cashier resetting the reader each time so i could try and try and try, I felt like an ***. She was visibly annoyed saying, it wont work, that doesnt work here sir. I kept saying yes, jokingly, it will, trust me, Ill blow your mind, see, ugh, damn damn damn damn FINALLY, it went through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36