04-06-2016 05:40 PM
117 12345
tools
    This feature from Nova only seems to allow you to sleep. To my knowledge you can't wake it up with a double tap.
    03-21-2016 06:57 PM
    I found that acDisplay works really well. With this app, I don't have to wake up the phone to view the notifications. I can just view the notification without waking the phone. There are also more configuration settings as well.
    03-21-2016 07:01 PM
    I find it to be useless just sitting there with a clock and nothing to interact with. Samsung also has to allow these features to work with more third party apps right out of the box, instead of trying to force everyone to use their stock apps. It's pretty evident tons of people have no interest in doing so.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-22-2016 07:27 AM
    You can enable the edge to be on instead during certain times, which is what I did. Less light from that.
    That's cool. Where is that option?

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-22-2016 07:49 AM
    I turn it on and off as needed (on when it's convenient to use the phone as a quick glance clock, off at all other times).
    03-22-2016 09:42 AM
    I found that acDisplay works really well. With this app, I don't have to wake up the phone to view the notifications. I can just view the notification without waking the phone. There are also more configuration settings as well.
    I like the idea of having a clock there all the time, but I totally agree with the 3rd party apps. Nobody is going to switch to using Samsung mail or messenger just because they can get a notification on the AOD. It's completely ridiculous that they put in that restriction, especially after Moto has already set the precedent for years of allowing any app to use their active display.
    03-22-2016 09:43 AM
    Nope. It's pretty useless as is. I'm guessing it will get better.
    03-22-2016 10:42 AM
    That's cool. Where is that option?

Settings > Display > Night Clock
    03-22-2016 11:04 AM
    How do you get it to show messages and calls? Doesn't seem to work on mine.
    03-22-2016 11:29 AM
    How do you get it to show messages and calls? Doesn't seem to work on mine.
    You haven't quoted, so not sure if you're referring to my post..?
    03-22-2016 11:35 AM
    I think Samsung thought that it saves more battery to use it than constantly wake up the whole screen to see the time.
    Anu Mantra and brad419 like this.
    03-22-2016 12:21 PM
    I'd use it if it supported custom images.
    03-22-2016 03:13 PM
    I just turned mine off. I was having proximity sensor issues with it on. With AOD on my screen would stay on when I was on a phone call. After turning it off the screen would stay off when on a call. I can reproduce it over and over again. Just a software bug but for now I needed to turn it off.
    03-22-2016 03:51 PM
    Let me tell you about the app called "noled" . I tried it on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and within 4 hours my battery was dead. After recharging, I found the same thing happening. I checked my battery status and right at the top - NO LED APP

Posted via Android Central App
    03-22-2016 04:33 PM
    I don't see this being a feature I really use simply because I have a smartwatch. That kind of defeats the purpose right there.
    03-22-2016 05:55 PM
    Not for me. I have a smartwatch too but I do a lot of driving at work and having my phone in its holder on the windscreen in my eyesight is so much better than glancing at my watch. I just wish they'd get the 3rd party apps supported asap to get the full usefulness out of it as it's great when used with your own apps

03-22-2016 06:06 PM
    No. I don't use it .
    03-23-2016 03:46 AM
    I use it and I love it. It's very convenient especially when I'm at work (so I won't have to seem like I'm on the phone all the time or have the need to check my phone every so often) and during the night time so I could see what time it is. I don't have to constantly wake up my phone every time I want to check the time. Plus, I don't notice any severe battery drain so why not have it on?

Anu Mantra and brad419 like this.
    03-23-2016 07:40 AM
    I am used to the always on display from Nokia Windows phones and the sleep display from the Galaxy Note Edge. The S7 Edge for me is the best of both worlds.
    03-23-2016 08:11 AM
    Always on display is very cool and it don't use much battery thanks of the screens Amoleed
    brad419 likes this.
    03-23-2016 08:55 AM
    This is one of my favorite little features, I am not sure how some of you do not use it.

When it is extremely handy for me -
    1) At work, I place it right next to me during all meetings and never have to reach over to my phone to check the time/date.
    2) When I sleep, I use the fast charger wireless stand by Samsung and keep it on my nightstand. I don't even have to lift my head in the morning to see the time.
    brad419 likes this.
    03-23-2016 08:56 AM
    Another thing I don't like about the Always On feature is that it requires an extra action to get in to the phone itself (unless you don't use a lock screen at all).

This was also the case when I had the best version of this functionality on my Moto phones, buit that was so well done it was worth it. The lack of third party functionality makes the clock alone not worth it to me on the S7E. Hopefully they make the feature more robust.
    03-23-2016 09:00 AM
    Another thing I don't like about the Always On feature is that it requires an extra action to get in to the phone itself (unless you don't use a lock screen at all).
    Exactly. And that combined with I wear a smart watch makes it a bit redundant, as someone else mentioned. I turned it off.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-23-2016 09:26 AM

This was also the case when I had the best version of this functionality on my Moto phones, buit that was so well done it was worth it. The lack of third party functionality makes the clock alone not worth it to me on the S7E. Hopefully they make the feature more robust.
    i'm not sure what the extra action is, even if you didn't use AOD, you'd have to power the screen to get past the lock screen.

to get to my homescreen:
    AOD: press home button. swipe lock screen (or use fingerprint)
    no AOD: press home button. swipe lock screen (or use fingerprint)

genuinely confused.
    Maisoumenos, brad419 and flintlock like this.
    03-23-2016 10:38 AM

It's a cool feature and I use it. Some of you say that it doesn't work like the moto version and it doesn't have extra functionality, when that's not what it was intended for. It's a clock that shows you the time and date, that's it. It isn't lacking anything because it wasn't meant to do anything else. Its just taking advantage of the amoled screen and giving you quick info. not trying to get you to your notifications.
    03-23-2016 12:29 PM
117 12345