Do you use always on display?

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I use it with the calendar setting. As I have my phone in a belt case when I am carrying it it is only on when I charge it up over night so it doesn't drain my battery.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Love it! Nice to be able to see the time and date without waking up the phone. I also like the “keep screen off” feature that turns the screen off when the phone is in my pocketbook.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely. Been hooked on the convenience of both always-on displays and wireless charging since my Nokia Lumias in 2012. Good to see the technology on some Android flagships as well.

Truman82

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I heard that always on display saves battery if you use clock widget as you don't have to light up the phone all the time to see the time?

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
That's more than enough if it shows calls and messages. In the end the idea is that you do not miss your primary notifications i.e. calls and messages.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Use it always. Missed this feature so much from Nokia/Microsoft Lumia's. Just such a shame it only shows notifications for calls and sms for now. Sooo hoping they update it for 3rd party apps soon

Posted via the Android Central App

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
15%? Don't see how thats possible. Its purpose is to save battery. When you check the time or to see if you have messages, you won't be lighting up all that screen real estate. I've been using it since I received my S7 Thursday and getting tremendous battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Too much for me, with it on it drained over 15% at night consistently. Off it only drains around 6%

Sounds about right. 15 - 6 = 9% drain more than usual overnight with it turned on. Most people charge their phone overnight so there would be no drain and they'd save during the day not having to constantly wake the phone

Posted via the Android Central App

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I turned it off because I didn't want it on while I was sleeping. If there's a way to have it disable during certain times, I'd turn it back on. I liked how you knew which way was up instantly.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I used it once and it used more than 1% battery life per hour. Seems like a waste of battery life for me since I'm not getting the battery life others are claiming and I can just simply swipe on the edge while it's off and see the notifications the same way. I would know that there's a notification with the LED blinking.

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I turned it off because I didn't want it on while I was sleeping. If there's a way to have it disable during certain times, I'd turn it back on. I liked how you knew which way was up instantly.
You can enable the edge to be on instead during certain times, which is what I did. Less light from that.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You can enable the edge to be on instead during certain times, which is what I did. Less light from that.

That would be the Night Clock, in this case. Settings > Display and wallpaper > scroll to Night Clock and toggle it on.

This overrides the Always On screen and displays the time and your next alarm along the edge. You're able to set the time for start and end, and whether the clock displays on the right or left edge of the phone.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I had it on, turned it off, and now have it back on again.

I had this sort of feature on my Motorola Maxx and Turbo phones and loved it. This isn't quite as useful as Moto's version, but it's OK.

The problem for me is that if I do turn it off, there doesn't seem to be another way to use the S7E as a bedside clock. The Night Clock feature I just mentioned above is too small, and if I disable Always On, there isn't a Clock option in Daydream. I'd have to install a third party clock app to get a bedside clock displayed.

Have I missed something?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance