Do you use always on display?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For those wanting to turn it off at times there is a simple way do do that. There are settings to turn. It off when it is in your pocket and such. That basically works by using the proximity sensor. Activate that feature then set the phone down screen side down. That will deactivate it until you pick the phone back up.

Posted via the Android Central App

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I use it and find it very handy. Coming from Windows phone then LG, glance and the V10 secondary display spoiled me.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung variant isnt very good, try the app called DynamicNotifications in the play store. It's pretty closely resembles the Droid Maxx/Motor X active display which was arguably one of the best android features in recent years IMO.

It's an awesome feature

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung variant isnt very good, try the app called DynamicNotifications in the play store. It's pretty closely resembles the Droid Maxx/Motor X active display which was arguably one of the best android features in recent years IMO.

It's an awesome feature

Like Yoda said " NO there is another " :D
NoLED try it
I like the part when you Charge the Device it shows Clock & Battery %

But I also like this New ALWAYS ON of Samsung
waiting for more Colours on clocks

and a suggestion for Always On:
Need a Bigger Battery Icon
&
Clock should move gradually
6am to 12pm on Top of Screen
12pm to 6pm in Middle
6pm to 6am on Bottom of Screen :cool:

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I use it and find it very handy. Coming from Windows phone then LG, glance and the V10 secondary display spoiled me.

I loved Glance. Don't know about you but since getting my s7 edge and seeing the Always On Display screen I've tried a few times to 'tap tap swipe up' to unlock. Oops

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I loved Glance. Don't know about you but since getting my s7 edge and seeing the Always On Display screen I've tried a few times to 'tap tap swipe up' to unlock. Oops

LOL that and double tap

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me doesn't add that much value so I turn it off to save battery. I have Android wear with me anyway for time and notifications.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Samsung should add double tab to wake the screen. Or I can slide from the lock screen without to press home button.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I had it on for the first two weeks to try it out but just disabled it today. I realized it wasn't very convenient for me as I usually had to wake up the screen anyways to see the actual notifications (the edge notifications thing too wasn't that great for me either and didn't work well enough). Also the floating clock that moves every few minutes distracted me and tricks me into thinking I got a new notification so it was just annoying.

I also realized at the end of the day 1%/hour wasn't worth it. After a full day of work that is 10-15% extra battery life I could have without it and for me that's more important than always being able to see the time. Also the edge notifications takes up some battery life as some have tested as they keep capacitive sensors activated. Overall I've disabled the always on mode, the edge notifications, and the edge side panel as I really did not use them and found them to be more annoying/take up battery life. I'm happy with my edge's "purpose" to be for pure aesthetics. I got the edge model primarily for the bigger battery life + larger screen and because I really enjoy the aesthetics of the edge.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

It's an awesome feature

I haven't used that third party app in quite a while, but it used to be a pretty big battery hog. Not anymore?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it. I have an Asus Zenwatch 2 so I see my notification and time on there. No need to wake up the phone that often and I can save battery life by keeping the AOD off.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Too much for me, with it on it drained over 15% at night consistently. Off it only drains around 6%

I don't know what is going on with your phone, but mine only uses 3-5% overnight. I have "do not disturb" turned on and the screen auto dims to a very low level during this time. Other than Facebook I don't have many apps that "phone home" either. So maybe I have some sort of a different set up that is getting me better battery life overnight?

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what is going on with your phone, but mine only uses 3-5% overnight. I have "do not disturb" turned on and the screen auto dims to a very low level during this time. Other than Facebook I don't have many apps that "phone home" either. So maybe I have some sort of a different set up that is getting me better battery life overnight?

I think I have my setup pretty much like yours. I unplugged it at 100% at 10:30pm last night with the Always On Display on. Woke up this morning at 4:30am and phone was at 96%. Not too bad.

Posted via my Galaxy Samsung S7 Edge

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the Watch Urbane, so it's fairly redundant for me anyway, but, coming from the Moto X Force, the Sammy on screen always on display just seems half-baked. Having said that, it's just that, the so-so speaker, and the back/recent buttons being back-to-front that irks me - best phone I've ever had otherwise.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Like Yoda said " NO there is another " :D
NoLED try it
I like the part when you Charge the Device it shows Clock & Battery %

But I also like this New ALWAYS ON of Samsung
waiting for more Colours on clocks

and a suggestion for Always On:
Need a Bigger Battery Icon
&
Clock should move gradually
6am to 12pm on Top of Screen
12pm to 6pm in Middle
6pm to 6am on Bottom of Screen :cool:

I remember using that app on my original Galaxy S. Hasn't been updated in almost 3 years though.

NiallTheStyle

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I like the idea of a truly always on display. I love the implementation on Motorola phones or the Nexus 5X/6P. I prefer being able to move the phone a bit or pick it up to activate a basic clock and notification interface. Also, not being able to interact with the always on display feels strange to me. It really, really looks like you should be able to tap or swipe on notifications to turn on the display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair