Do you use always on display?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Laying it on its face effectively turns AOD off, so you're not seeing the battery drain AOD causes when it's on.

And what would be the point of having it on during the night? Posters have been complaining about losing battery overnight when using AOD, that's what I addressed.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't the inclusion of a multi dimensional display with all the bells and whistles people are asking for, cause the same kind of battery drain the same people would be complaining about? That's all I would need is some rouge third party app killing my battery.

Seems like a big irony to me. I'm happy Samsung kept it simple here.

Posted via the Android Central App

I take a resources/reward outlook on my phones. Does this feature eat a lot of battery? Is it worth the battery it eats?

The answer to those general questions means I use some more battery hungry apps than I would otherwise (because what they do or how they do it is worth it to me), and don't use some that are not huge battery eaters. I try to maximize battery performance based on what I want and need my phone to do.

With that I'm mind, I'll point out that Samsung isn't cutting edges with this AOD feature. Because others have done it, and because Moto is the gold standard with this feature, people are understandably going to compare, either directly or indirectly.

I used Moto Display (I think that's what they call it these days) for a long time and it was great. It was never a huge battery gobbler (the third party apps people mention were for me pre-Droid Turbo) and it worked so well, some drain from it was OK.

The Samsung AOD is fine for the clock feature. If people find value in that, great. Overall, it's a half baked attempt at what an always on feature can really be, though.

For those who say that all it's supposed to be is the clock, clearly that's not true. Otherwise, it would just be...the clock.

~Kevin

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't the inclusion of a multi dimensional display with all the bells and whistles people are asking for, cause the same kind of battery drain the same people would be complaining about? That's all I would need is some rouge third party app killing my battery.

Seems like a big irony to me. I'm happy Samsung kept it simple here.

Great point. It sounds like the critics want the device to show up like Times Square, yet consume absolutely zero battery.

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I did but I always felt like I head a notification. So I switched it so the nighttime one on the edge is on all the time instead of a big clock or whatever you choose. I like the one on the edge much better

brad419

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Love AOD,and I can't tell of battery drain. Check it many times a day, when I would normally wake up my phone.

chr1sny

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would settle for Gmail and native email (I use this for work) notifications with the AOD. Please work on this Samsung. I can understand the delay in supporting third party apps but why not support the native email app that comes with the phone?

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I like using it for the clock which is so dim at night it doesn't light the room like most alarm clocks.

I've been using phone as alarm for years so no need for a separate clock and it's a nice way to see the time if I wake up. Battery drain irrelevant as I'm plugged in at night.

I wouldn't want notifications displaying on a locked screen anyway (privacy). I keep 90% of Samsung features off but like this one. Of course for those who want more they should have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay