AT&T automated message spam, need some help!

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So last night I got a text message from att -

AT&T FREE Message, this is an automated message please ignore.

With a random code each time, I have no joke 25 of these since yesterday, any one know what's up? I called att and they were like we will make a ticket and get back to you.

Uhhg lol

stra10

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Same.

I just upgraded to the S7 and have been getting 20+ messages a day since Wednesday. It's really annoying. I've not blocked the number because I want to figure out why they are being sent.

Other threads say it's either:
  • AT&T Messages (App) needs disabled
  • Need to disable Messages Backup & Sync feature on the line

But I don't have that App on my phone or that Feature on my line. Quite annoying but determined to figure out why.

stra10

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
So I just looked up the AT&T Messages App and it appears it is not compatible on the S7 but the Play store thinks it is installed: <UGH I CAN'T Post Links. Just search the Play Store for "AT&T Messages">

So I tried logging into the webapp go to 'messages.att.net'
Durning the log-in/setup process I got a text from that annoying number. See attached:
Screenshot_20160320-125930.jpg

I don't see anyway on how to configure the App from the web but I'll keep looking.

rkkeller

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Other threads say it's either:
  • AT&T Messages (App) needs disabled
  • Need to disable Messages Backup & Sync feature on the line

But I don't have that App on my phone or that Feature on my line. Quite annoying but determined to figure out why.

The messages backup and sync is automatically installed and found under the Messages/More/Settings.
Mine is off.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i don't think i've gotten anything from AT&T aside from confirmations of my bill being paid or order confirmations.

also Customer Service surveys after i do something at a store.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I was getting these every few hours and finally just blocked the number. I hadn't called at&t since I wasn't sure I was staying with the phone, but will likely talk to them now and see if they can't turn it off.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have an ongoing case with At&t about these messages. I sent them a dump log last night as well per Samsung's request, so we'll see what they come up with. I blacklisted the number in Textra, but since Friday (when i got the phone) I'm well over 300 messages so far.

Voldi Way

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Ever since I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S7, I've gotten hundreds of those same messages too. They all say "AT&T FREE MESSAGE - This is an automated message, please ignore." followed by a random code. It's super annoying.

I finally resorted to blocking that number in order to make it stop. Please let me know if you figure out a more elegant solution.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So last night I got a text message from att -

AT&T FREE Message, this is an automated message please ignore.

With a random code each time, I have no joke 25 of these since yesterday, any one know what's up? I called att and they were like we will make a ticket and get back to you.

Uhhg lol

What?

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Reset the phone to it's factory settings or default might help.

I would do the reset setting to it's default first.
Go to:
Settings-Personal-Backup and reset-Reset settings

or if you really want to erase everything on your phone you can do a factory data reset.

Go to:
Settings-Personal-Backup and reset-Factory data reset

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
So far no resolution, tier 2 reps have no idea as they say I should make changes too att messages however it's not on my phone nor any att edge I have tested in store.

Went to retail store they gave me a new sim and again no luck, they are saying incised try a factory reset but what is that going to do, these messages are coming from their servers, my device has nothing to do with them sending me sms.

They were like we'll you can block them as a resolution. I said no that's not a proper fix as that stops the annoyance but not the issue. Grrrrr.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Think I solved the issue, I re enabled HD voice and the text messages have stopped, this assumes these messages are part of the new enhanced Lte services they are trying to push.

The scary issue is, what are they doing pinging me randomly through some sms service.

infinitodd

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So when I upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S7 Edge, I went straight to my third party sms app to handle messages. Didn't even activate the stock "message" app that came with the phone. Couldn't get these messages to stop. I even went through the AT&T facebook messenger to speak to a representative over the course of several days. They couldn't help. Frustrated I remembered some old tech logic I once knew, nothing fancy, just the fact that the 3rd part app lays on top of the stock app and utilizes it (somewhat) to manage messages through its own interface. I activated the stock message app, made it the default. I blocked the number through that app (both for calls and messages) then made the third party app the default again. I used to get that message every fifty-two minutes on average. Been over two hours and no more "AT&T free message" messages.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34