Is it just me or does the Samsung keyboard work really well these days

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
The only thing that chaps my bottom is the predictor on the swipe is BS. I sound like a raging alcoholic if I don't browse over it before I send it.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

Is this when it changed your words when a ? Or ! Is used

Posted via the Android Central App

ApprenticeSecond72

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I personally really enjoy the keyboard, aside from a few of it's minor quirks. Like how the speech-to-text button it right next to the comma and I'll accidentally hit it when going for the comma and have to exit out of that screen after the little double beep. Or how i can't set a default for that button, as it contains speech-to-text, emojis, drawing-to-text, clipboard, keyboard options, and a keyboard size toggle. Or, and this one is my favorite, I'll try to add a question mark to the end of a question and the keyboard will decide to freeze. But, other than these minor, frequent hiccups, I find myself rather enjoying this stock keyboard, especially the swype feature.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it's gotten significantly better, personally i use chrooma keyboard because i like how it changes color based on the app.

the small things in life.

also, i like the google style of where the ! and ? are (long press on . and swipe over) i've gotten too used to that and find samsung's to be less efficient.

aximmaxim

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Samsung keyboard, although I own Swiftkey. Prefer the layout on swiftkey slightly, but why add the additional program when you can't uninstall the samsung app anyway?

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I got my s7 edge yesterday and the keyboard is amazing so easy to type on and rarely any typos - I kept making a lot of typos on the s5. Samsung did a great job with this phone. I am so happy with it.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When I first took my phone out of the box, I used the Samsung keyboard and it was performing well. The response was great and the predictions were somewhat on pint too for it not learning how I type yet. However I'm so used to the placement of the punctuation marks and other options on SwiftKey that I had to apply it again. Muscle memory has me where I don't want to learn another keyboard. It worked well though

Liskrig

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I used it for the entire setup process at the T-Mobile store, and it was nice. My stress-test for any keyboard is to just mash the keys like a monkey and see how well it can figure out what I'm trying to say, and as far as stock keyboards, this one worked very well! I soon after installed Swiftkey due to some themes I liked, and the fact that I've used it since v3.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
It does work pretty well although it really wants me to email someone. Ended up switching to swiftkey.

That's exactly what I've experienced. It seems to constantly predict my next word as a particular friend of mine's email address, even though I haven't emailed him in over a year. Maybe it's trying to tell me something, but it gets annoying. Switched back to Google Keyboard.

I used to be a die-hard Swiftkey fan, but I found that it slowed down so significantly over time, that I gave up. Perhaps I was pointing it to too many personal sites to learn from?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be the same keyboard as the Note 5's, if so then ya its a keeper. I never did get around to loading Swiftkey because I found no need ...

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
First Samsung device I haven't immediately replaced the keyboard on . I'm sticking with the stock one for now.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I've experienced. It seems to constantly predict my next word as a particular friend of mine's email address,

I believe there is a setting to address that. however I cant find it at the minute. My brain seems to think there was a checkbox somewhere that offered to suggest contacts when typing

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I believe there is a setting to address that. however I cant find it at the minute. My brain seems to think there was a checkbox somewhere that offered to suggest contacts when typing

Thanks! I'll see if I can find that.

say anything

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to use SwiftKey religiously, but I haven't switched from stock yet. SK has gotten increasingly worse at corrections and predictions in the last year or so and this Samsung keyboard has been working just fine.

Chen 2

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
shhh.... it's blasphemy to say that you like stock stuff on Android forums!

srsly though, I use the stock keyboard for my samsung phone and my iPad. The stock samsung keyboard is not as good as the stock Apple keyboard but you know what, third-party keyboards suck. If they type well they look like crap and if they look good, they don't work all that well. Stock is the best compromise between the two. Swiftkey definitely does a great job at auto correction, but it just looks really cheap and stupid.

And no, having skin support is not the same thing as looking good. looking good means you have actual talented visual designers making a design that fits well with most of the apps you'll be typing in. Stuffing a a keyboard with Iron Man colors and images is not "good".