11-18-2017 08:49 AM
135 1234 ...
tools
    I only started to get this issue after the last July Update. I use an app called Darker to dim the screen with an overlay but never had problems till now. Even after uninstalling it & restarting the phone, i still keep getting it and its driving me up the wall since any new application that needs any permissions such as location & contact access keeps giving me the screen overlay error and then asking me to use the system prompt to disable the permissions.

Even tried disabling some apps including FB (don't have FB messenger) and still the error comes.

Since i have over 300 apps and i test out a lot, i don't want to clear the phone cache and deal with a possible loss of all my app data (have had that happen to me a long time ago when using custom roms).

Any other solution or way to escalate this to Samsung since im 99% sure the last security update caused it and i don't mind rolling back to the June update if it means getting out of this rut!
    07-24-2016 09:34 AM
    I had to uninstall File Manager for the screen overlay errors to stop.
    07-24-2016 11:26 AM
    What was the file manager that you uninstalled? (default one can only be disabled if not mistaken)

I had to uninstall File Manager for the screen overlay errors to stop.
    07-24-2016 12:24 PM
    What was the file manager that you uninstalled? (default one can only be disabled if not mistaken)
    File Manager by Cheetah Mobile. From what I was reading on another forum, Cheetah Mobile apps are causing issues.
    07-24-2016 01:01 PM
    I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.
    Was scouring the net for help with this problem. Only found it 20min ago nd was bugging me enough. Did this nd now it's back to normal. So registered just to say how thankful I am haha.
    asiansilk and Erica Jenkins like this.
    07-27-2016 09:42 AM
    Thank you so much for posting this... I have been going crazy with this stupid pop up blocking every app I have until now. Your advice is the only thing that has actually worked!!
    07-28-2016 11:13 AM
    Thank you for posting a resolution that actually works!!!
    07-28-2016 11:15 AM
    Great thread with the solution to an infuriating issue. Thank you so much. I was having success temporarily disabling Cheetah's file manager but got the pop up again today and said "@! this and uninstalled it completely.
    07-28-2016 11:37 AM
    It would be a tremendous help if someone would define this a bit better than simply "screen overlay".

What does it look like? What does it say? What happens when you tap on it?
    I am having the same problem but anyone who has this problem can't send a screen shot beacause this prohibits them from doing so
    07-29-2016 12:06 AM
    Great thread with the solution to an infuriating issue. Thank you so much. I was having success temporarily disabling Cheetah's file manager but got the pop up again today and said "@! this and uninstalled it completely.
    Because no one is supposed to actually install anything made by Cheetah. I don't even understand why that crap is so popular when everything they make is bad for the phone.
    07-29-2016 12:58 AM
    True genius! This works. Fantastic job buddy.

I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.
    07-30-2016 01:27 AM
    Can some one plz help me i dont have any filter or developer option on and it still says an overlay error screen plz help me
    07-30-2016 11:58 PM
    Can some one plz help me i dont have any filter or developer option on and it still says an overlay error screen plz help me
    Do you have File Manager by Cheetah or any "cleaning apps" installed? If so you need to delete that first then perform the reset described here. That has fixed the problem for many of us with no filter or developer things coming into play at all.
    07-31-2016 06:01 AM

Bless you sir a thousand times Bless you!!!!!! I have a V10 and I was seconds from,whipping this phone into the Everglades. I didn't have to do all the Button pushing stuff. All I did was. DELETE THE CLEAN-MASTER APP!!

Problem gone!

I too dread DREAD any updates because it cause days [language redacted by mod] to fix everything!!!

Thank so much to you and Mr. Tech from Texas
    07-31-2016 01:08 PM
    I just fixed your exact problem .....

Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

This worked like a charm... A million ty's!

BTC
    07-31-2016 06:57 PM

Thank you so much!!! It was the clean master
    07-31-2016 09:34 PM

THANK YOU!!!! This was driving me completely crazy and I felt like throwing my phone out the window!
    08-01-2016 05:45 AM
    It would be a tremendous help if someone would define this a bit better than simply "screen overlay".

What does it look like? What does it say? What happens when you tap on it?
    What they're saying is that when they go in setting apps and click on a app and theyou click permissions the screen overlay shot pops up so they click open settings and a bunch of apps pop up. I need help on this to its really anoying.
    08-02-2016 12:49 AM
    FredoMafia's advice hasn't worked for me tried the whole process and don't have clean master installed but still getting the screen overlay - tonight it's on Instagram, I get message asking if I allow IG access to my location. When I click allow the screen overlay message appears but then I can't change the options....
    08-02-2016 04:21 PM

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me [ language cleanup]crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

Oh my God! This fixed it. I was getting so mad. I was going crazy. Every single application I had, right after the update, started asking me for permission to use picture video calls Exedra and when I tried to disable all the screen overlays I disabled every single one of them and it still wasn't working. So all I did was uninstall Clean Master like you suggested and everything works perfectly now. I love that application but if that app is going to ruin the rest of my phone then I can go without it. I made this account just for this post also thank you so much
    08-03-2016 01:27 PM
    I have the Galaxy S7 and I see the popup as well. Its under settings and application manager. In the upper right corner you will see a "MORE" option. Select that and you will see Draw over other apps. This is the overlay that you are getting prompts from. Once you select it, you will see the option to Enable it or disable it. From here you can unselect it or, go to each app you are getting prompts for and see if it's enabled. If it's something you don't want to overlay other apps, simply disable it. If you don't like the overlay feature on any apps, you can select "disable" at the top of the list. Hope this helps.

Attachment 227413

I've done this and when I try to select the apps I want Ito won't let me click on them I can't do anything. I had to delete a bunch of my apps because it just wouldn't let me enable or disable certain apps.
    08-03-2016 06:14 PM
    I tried everything that was suggested here and nothing worked, then I finally removed the Good Lock app from Samsung. (there launcher app) And that solved the problem for me, but to uninstall it. you have to do it from the Galaxy app store, hope this helps.
    08-04-2016 06:46 AM

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me [ language cleanup]crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.
    Thank you sooooo much. I had spent a day trying everything to get my Galaxy S7 to function normally. I was ready to cut my losses and use the factory reset option, but I decided to search one last time for an solution. Luckily, after reading this post, I realized my Clean Master was the culprit behind the screen overlay error box!!! I've followed all of the steps to a tee, and was able to use my phone once again. I can not thank you enough!! Thanks again!!!
    08-05-2016 12:50 AM
    The easiest fix, only full fix, I have found is as follows. When the screen overlay screen opens in settings, just turn everything marked on to off. Which by the way is the only thing you can do on this screen. Since I did all my apps, even the ones that weren't working, are working as they should. Hope this helps someone.
    08-06-2016 11:28 PM
    One of the apps you turned off is the list is the culprit...mine was Swipehome. I turned it off and then had to go to my apps individually and allow permissions for each. This Was a pain in the butt, but then you can turn your overlays back on and everything should work. A lot of apps use overlay but somehow my permissions got messed up with the new update.
    08-10-2016 05:59 PM
135 1234 ...