Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select it?

Gerardo Vega

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

Thank you so much!!! It was the clean master

Last edited by a moderator:

Taryn1991

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

THANK YOU!!!! This was driving me completely crazy and I felt like throwing my phone out the window!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jjwat

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site

It would be a tremendous help if someone would define this a bit better than simply "screen overlay".

What does it look like? What does it say? What happens when you tap on it?

What they're saying is that when they go in setting apps and click on a app and theyou click permissions the screen overlay shot pops up so they click open settings and a bunch of apps pop up. I need help on this to its really anoying.

Vickylouiseuk

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

FredoMafia's advice hasn't worked for me :( tried the whole process and don't have clean master installed but still getting the screen overlay - tonight it's on Instagram, I get message asking if I allow IG access to my location. When I click allow the screen overlay message appears but then I can't change the options....

Aaron Simon-Welch

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me [ language cleanup]crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

Oh my God! This fixed it. I was getting so mad. I was going crazy. Every single application I had, right after the update, started asking me for permission to use picture video calls Exedra and when I tried to disable all the screen overlays I disabled every single one of them and it still wasn't working. So all I did was uninstall Clean Master like you suggested and everything works perfectly now. I love that application but if that app is going to ruin the rest of my phone then I can go without it. I made this account just for this post also thank you so much

Arwilson18

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I have the Galaxy S7 and I see the popup as well. Its under settings and application manager. In the upper right corner you will see a "MORE" option. Select that and you will see Draw over other apps. This is the overlay that you are getting prompts from. Once you select it, you will see the option to Enable it or disable it. From here you can unselect it or, go to each app you are getting prompts for and see if it's enabled. If it's something you don't want to overlay other apps, simply disable it. If you don't like the overlay feature on any apps, you can select "disable" at the top of the list. Hope this helps.

View attachment 227413

I've done this and when I try to select the apps I want Ito won't let me click on them I can't do anything. I had to delete a bunch of my apps because it just wouldn't let me enable or disable certain apps.

tiroas

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I tried everything that was suggested here and nothing worked, then I finally removed the Good Lock app from Samsung. (there launcher app) And that solved the problem for me, but to uninstall it. you have to do it from the Galaxy app store, hope this helps.

Msenjohn

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me [ language cleanup]crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

Thank you sooooo much. I had spent a day trying everything to get my Galaxy S7 to function normally. I was ready to cut my losses and use the factory reset option, but I decided to search one last time for an solution. Luckily, after reading this post, I realized my Clean Master was the culprit behind the screen overlay error box!!! I've followed all of the steps to a tee, and was able to use my phone once again. I can not thank you enough!! Thanks again!!!

Michael Ball II

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site

The easiest fix, only full fix, I have found is as follows. When the screen overlay screen opens in settings, just turn everything marked on to off. Which by the way is the only thing you can do on this screen. Since I did all my apps, even the ones that weren't working, are working as they should. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

One of the apps you turned off is the list is the culprit...mine was Swipehome. I turned it off and then had to go to my apps individually and allow permissions for each. This Was a pain in the butt, but then you can turn your overlays back on and everything should work. A lot of apps use overlay but somehow my permissions got messed up with the new update.

nwhitten

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

Can someone help me with this same issue on a Galaxy S5 Sport with Marshmallow OS??

Thank you!!!!

bigmo555

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

Having this issue with my Note 4 on sprint with mm

(Edit: problem resolved, see below)

Last edited:

Janice Scott1

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site

Whoa! Thanks so much FredoMafia - you are a Godsend! Bit scary process - but it works! Thx again!

bigmo555

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I figured it out. In settings .... Application Manager, click the 3 dots in the top right corner and select "Change system settings". Make sure that all of your apps are "on"

mwaslick

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

removing clean master was the key for me - deleted it and no more annoying pop ups

flyboyKeene

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

Resetting my phone (Galaxy S7) did not help eliminate the super-annoying screen overlay issue. I finally realized it was the Data Manager app that I downloaded, which included the ability to show upload/download speeds at the top right corner of my phone. As soon as I force-stopped that app the screen overlay problem went away (doh! it should have been obvious). So anything showing on the screen from a downloaded app could be the problem for anyone else suffering from this.

Kiran Jangra

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site

Hi !
here is simple solution to screen overlay problem.

Go to settings>applications>Application Manager>click on "More" at right upper corner>click on change system settings on pop-up window. this will open the page showing various applications. u can choose the one u wanna modify. Just enable the switch given in front of the apps... enjoy changing the settings

flyboyKeene

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

My problem was that neither the Data Manager app nor my banking app (which kept giving me the screen overlay warning) are in the list of apps that can be modified. That's what was so frustrating. Not until I figured out on my own which app was causing the screen overlay problem was I able to turn it off, which made the problem go away.

regine1990

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site

Thank you so much! this help me a lot! Im pissed off of this always popping up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084