S7 Edge Water Damage

pwinters

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep - you read the title right. I was showing off my water-resistant capabilities to my family by holding it under the faucet. Water ended up behind the lenses on both sides of the phone and under the LED. Could not take any pictures. Best Buy told me I should call Samsung, which I did. They said their policy doesn't allow them to cover damage from liquid. My response: "when you air commercials every 5 minutes with Little Wayne dunking it into a fish tank and pouring a bottle of champagne on it, you're damn right you do". Needless to say I didn't get anywhere with them. So I returned it to Best Buy and ordered one direct from Sprint. Just an FYI!

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like yours may jsut not have been sealed and may have been defective. Samsung should have replaced that .. shocked they didn't.

pwinters

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It seems defective... Running it under a faucet should be ok.

It was, in my opinion, which is why it went back to Best Buy! They were great about it, btw. They said that shouldn't have happened and let me return it no questions asked. I would have let them replace it, but they weren't supposed to get any in the silver for a while.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
We all need to understand what the IP86 spec says, what it means, and what Samsung says about water. THIS IS NOT A WATERPROOF PHONE.

The 8 in IP68 means the phone can sit in still water. Not flowing water or water under pressure. There are different IP specs for that. And a higher number doesn't automatically mean a higher level of protection. IPx1 through IPx4 are for splashing water, with 1 being equivalent to light rain, and 2 through 4 progressively harder. IPx5 and 6 are for flowing water. The fact that something passes an IPx8 test doesn't mean it also passed, or will pass, a flowing water standard. Flowing water applies pressure to openings that simply sitting in water might not.

Not soapy water (yeah, there was a thread about that on another forum). Soap acts as a lubricant, and makes water more slippery, and could allow water to infiltrate openings that plain water won't.

Not salt water, or water with other contaminants (don't wash your phone is a mixture of water and clorox!). That should be obvious.

Finally, what does Samsung say about water?

Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as running water from taps,ocean waves, or waterfalls

All that said, I agree that Samsung's advertising is a bit misleading, and the warning not to expose it to water from taps is not made clear in any of the materials a new owner is likely to see.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
my friend asked me to do this and I said NOPE. I'm not taking that chance! I understand its water resistant proof water but I'm not going to purposely stick it in there lmao! kudos to you that have the balls enough to do it! I certainly don't!

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Dang balls of steel! But we're glad that you got a replacement. Just show your fam how the samsung pay works and they will be blown away. Make sure it works first lol.

-S7Edge

pwinters

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
We all need to understand what the IP86 spec says, what it means, and what Samsung says about water. THIS IS NOT A WATERPROOF PHONE.

The 8 in IP68 means the phone can sit in still water. Not flowing water or water under pressure. There are different IP specs for that. And a higher number doesn't automatically mean a higher level of protection. IPx1 through IPx4 are for splashing water, with 1 being equivalent to light rain, and 2 through 4 progressively harder. IPx5 and 6 are for flowing water. The fact that something passes an IPx8 test doesn't mean it also passed, or will pass, a flowing water standard. Flowing water applies pressure to openings that simply sitting in water might not.

Not soapy water (yeah, there was a thread about that on another forum). Soap acts as a lubricant, and makes water more slippery, and could allow water to infiltrate openings that plain water won't.

Not salt water, or water with other contaminants (don't wash your phone is a mixture of water and clorox!). That should be obvious.

Finally, what does Samsung say about water?

All that said, I agree that Samsung's advertising is a bit misleading, and the warning not to expose it to water from taps is not made clear in any of the materials a new owner is likely to see.

Does that include liquid flowing from a champagne bottle, I wonder?

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an S6 Active and a couple of folks did the same with the same results. Samsung wouldn't replace or fix.

I won't even try it because of that

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
My husband's s5 was dropped in the hot tub and the Samsung repair shop took it in, did a pressure check and replaced his phone. The service there was excellent. If either of our S7s go haywire I will take them there rather than TMO.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Does that include liquid flowing from a champagne bottle, I wonder?

Yeah, that's part of what I consider misleading advertising.

We need to view the water resistance as something that will help prevent damage in the event of accidental exposure, not something that will protect the phone from deliberate water exposure.

pwinters

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's part of what I consider misleading advertising.

We need to view the water resistance as something that will help prevent damage in the event of accidental exposure, not something that will protect the phone from deliberate water exposure.

I'm starting to come around to that line of thinking.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
There's too much pressure from running water. The phone wasn't defective. You want to take it swimming, you should be fine, but like they said the pressure is too great from flowing water. That's why you can't go below a certain depth with the rating they give. The deeper you go, the higher the pressure

pwinters

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
There's too much pressure from running water. The phone wasn't defective. You want to take it swimming, you should be fine, but like they said the pressure is too great from flowing water. That's why you can't go below a certain depth with the rating they give. The deeper you go, the higher the pressure

Guys - the pressure on this faucet was not that strong. I want to stress that it's not like I held it to the end of a fire hose. This was a gentle, soft flow of water and I do not believe I did anything wrong here. Samsung should have known full well when they started advertising this feature in the way that they have that people were going to get it wet in any way that they could. They are actively pitching this feature as the main attraction.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys - the pressure on this faucet was not that strong. I want to stress that it's not like I held it to the end of a fire hose. This was a gentle, soft flow of water and I do not believe I did anything wrong here. Samsung should have known full well when they started advertising this feature in the way that they have that people were going to get it wet in any way that they could. They are actively pitching this feature as the main attraction.

Really doesn't matter if its not that strong, it says don't expose the phone to running water. Any running water is more then the phone is certified for. I agree that the way Samsung advertises the feature makes it confusing, and they probably shouldn't but it is what it is. Either way, glad it worked out for you and you were able to return it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Guys - the pressure on this faucet was not that strong. I want to stress that it's not like I held it to the end of a fire hose.

They know that -- They're just saying there is a lot more pressure if you compare water sitting in a glass versus water flowing out of a faucet. The rating they gave this phone is not meant for "proofing" the phone. It is more so meant for accidental spills or if you're talking on the phone and it starts to rain some you won't have to freak out and worry about your phone.

Samsung should have known full well when they started advertising this feature in the way that they have that people were going to get it wet in any way that they could. They are actively pitching this feature as the main attraction.

This is true but ... As with any advertising you always have to read the bottom of the screen or the "details". If I went with everything I saw on TV / advertisements life would be great .. But you always read the fine print and say "Ahh I see what you're doing".

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes, however, the Samsung manual says to rinse your phone off if other liquids (besides regular water, such as pool water) get on it.. why would they tell you to "rinse it" if you can't use running water? How would you do that?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech