S7 Edge Water Damage

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, however, the Samsung manual says to rinse your phone off if other liquids (besides regular water, such as pool water) get on it.. why would they tell you to "rinse it" if you can't use running water? How would you do that?
Because advertising, marketing and engineering haven't had that meeting yet - in which engineering tells everyone to knock off the "phone is waterproof" nonsense. There is one of those. The Navy uses it. It costs more than my house. But it's waterPROOF to 400 feet of ocean water for at last 24 hours. (And no, it's not available unless you can place Navy orders.)

For anything else, it's water resistant, not waterproof. A plain plastic zip lock bag is more waterproof (and I use them all the time if there's a possibility of the phone getting wet).

All the "water resistant" hype is just that - hype. Treat ALL phones as if there's no such thing as IP68, and they won't get water damaged.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
All the "water resistant" hype is just that - hype. Treat ALL phones as if there's no such thing as IP68, and they won't get water damaged.

Or even just treat IP68 as IP68, and not IP64-IP66 (which DO actually speak about water under pressure as opposed to immersion in still water). Though, granted, treating an IP68 phone as IP00 means it will never let you down.

It's really a shame that the IP standard is so unnecessarily complicated. Immersion really needs to be a third number and not a "reset/extension" of the water ingress (second number) that means moving water from 1 (light rain) to 6 (pressurized hose) and suddenly changes to "still water" in 7 and 8. Because people look at IP68 and think "that has to be better than IP66!" When it's clearly not. It's an entirely different type of ingress protection.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention that, in the commercial, he is pouring the champagne on a flat facing phone. Most of the liquid was being deflected away by the screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Or even just treat IP68 as IP68, and not IP64-IP66 (which DO actually speak about water under pressure as opposed to immersion in still water). Though, granted, treating an IP68 phone as IP00 means it will never let you down.

It's really a shame that the IP standard is so unnecessarily complicated. Immersion really needs to be a third number and not a "reset/extension" of the water ingress (second number) that means moving water from 1 (light rain) to 6 (pressurized hose) and suddenly changes to "still water" in 7 and 8. Because people look at IP68 and think "that has to be better than IP66!" When it's clearly not. It's an entirely different type of ingress protection.

Ok.... i am confused and my head hurts now.... Thanks. what day is it again?!?!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok.... i am confused and my head hurts now.... Thanks. what day is it again?!?!

LOL. Fair enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

First number is for solids. IP0x = no protection. Then it goes up from "nothing bigger than a baseball can get in" to "nothing as big as dust can get in", (IP6 is the highest rating, basically, and means "very dust resistant"). This is a very logical progression from "you can fit a baseball in" to "you cannot fit dust in". It makes sense.

Second number is for liquids. It starts out clearly enough. IPx0 = no protection. IPx1 = water falling vertically. IPx2 = water falling at an angle. IPx3 = water falling at a more severe angle. IPx4 = water splashing against the enclosure (gently) at any angle. IPx5 = water being sprayed at the enclosure under light pressure from any angle. IPx6 = water sprayed under significant pressure at the enclosure at any angle. So you see a logical progression here - water falling vertically progressing to water under significant pressure from any arbitrary angle. 1 to 6 makes plenty of sense.

This is where things get complicated. IPx7 = immersion in still water of a meter or less and IPx8 is a meter or more, with the depth specified by the manufacturer. So by going from 6 to 7 we've suddenly dropped from "can tolerate a garden sprayer pointed at it" to "can be immersed gently in shallow still water"

The upshot is that your IP68 certification means nothing with regards to a sink tap. You need an additional IP64 or preferably IP65 certification for that. Because 7 and 8 only mean "still water", and a sink tap exerts pressure from the water falling.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Logic what logic, I learn something new every day. I'm the camp of I hope I never have to test the waterproofing on my phone.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's really a shame that the IP standard is so unnecessarily complicated.

Yes. But the IP ratings were never really intended to be a marketing tool aimed at consumers. The assumption was that people who cared would understand what the rating meant. Oops! Once you let marketing get hold of something, all bets are off.

pwinters

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was actually pretty fortunate that this happened within the 14 day Best Buy grace period. I wouldn't be surprised to see them changing the policies based what happened to me and on all of the information in this thread, (retailers, service providers, and Samsung).

thevmax

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Then what is the point of showing the phone functioning under running water? Advertising Hype!
Granted, all the smartphone makers are guilty of this, but showing a phone working under running water?
That ad WAS one of the reasons I was considering buying a Samsung S7 Edge.
I agree with the statement, "All that said, I agree that Samsung's advertising is a bit misleading, and the warning not to expose it to water from taps is not made clear in any of the materials a new owner is likely to see."

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
@meyerweb thanks for posting that IP68 information.

I think the issue here is also quality control, not every S7/edge will be perfect off the line.

poocho_poocho

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
well, if i were you, i would take samsung to court over this. if their manual says 'rinse with water' then it should be able to withstand a rinse in the water. period.if you have the money to pay a lawyer, go after samsung.you will win.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
well, if i were you, i would take samsung to court over this. if their manual says 'rinse with water' then it should be able to withstand a rinse in the water. period.if you have the money to pay a lawyer, go after samsung.you will win.

Human Pleaze!................ are you kidding? The OP got a new phone......just not directly from Samsmug. Probably for the good as he got a direct replacement and didnt have to wait to send things back and forth to Samsmug.

Yes pay tons of money to an attorney in court cause you got emotional and upset and didn't get what you want now!...then get laughed at by everyone in the court room and in your life.....lol

I do agree there could be some possible eat crow acknowledgement about this from the smug co......or could even lead to class action if this becomes a big problem % wise with phone users in a short time after release.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
The only way this would go anywhere is if you got a huge class action going. So that would mean a bunch of us would have to get screwed and when you do that the lawyers make all the money. The little people see tenths of pennies on the dollar. The only "good" thing out of it would be that Sammy would pay someone for being jerks.

It wont go that far.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep - you read the title right. I was showing off my water-resistant capabilities to my family by holding it under the faucet. Water ended up behind the lenses on both sides of the phone and under the LED. Could not take any pictures. Best Buy told me I should call Samsung, which I did. They said their policy doesn't allow them to cover damage from liquid. My response: "when you air commercials every 5 minutes with Little Wayne dunking it into a fish tank and pouring a bottle of champagne on it, you're damn right you do". Needless to say I didn't get anywhere with them. So I returned it to Best Buy and ordered one direct from Sprint. Just an FYI!

Best buy let you return it? Even with water damage?

StuffOfInterest

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung may need to be more careful with their advertising. If they show something being done with the phone which it isn't really designed to handle then they run a significant risk of a lawsuit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance