S7 Edge Water Damage

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
LOL. Fair enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

First number is for solids. IP0x = no protection. Then it goes up from "nothing bigger than a baseball can get in" to "nothing as big as dust can get in", (IP6 is the highest rating, basically, and means "very dust resistant"). This is a very logical progression from "you can fit a baseball in" to "you cannot fit dust in". It makes sense.

Second number is for liquids. It starts out clearly enough. IPx0 = no protection. IPx1 = water falling vertically. IPx2 = water falling at an angle. IPx3 = water falling at a more severe angle. IPx4 = water splashing against the enclosure (gently) at any angle. IPx5 = water being sprayed at the enclosure under light pressure from any angle. IPx6 = water sprayed under significant pressure at the enclosure at any angle. So you see a logical progression here - water falling vertically progressing to water under significant pressure from any arbitrary angle. 1 to 6 makes plenty of sense.

This is where things get complicated. IPx7 = immersion in still water of a meter or less and IPx8 is a meter or more, with the depth specified by the manufacturer. So by going from 6 to 7 we've suddenly dropped from "can tolerate a garden sprayer pointed at it" to "can be immersed gently in shallow still water"

The upshot is that your IP68 certification means nothing with regards to a sink tap. You need an additional IP64 or preferably IP65 certification for that. Because 7 and 8 only mean "still water", and a sink tap exerts pressure from the water falling.
I'll tell you what... If that guy's phone was ruined by running water over it I guarantee u it would have been ruined if placed in a sink full of water. It might have survived in a bowl of distilled water if the phone were off then immediately placed in a bag of rice for a week. So would most phones.

pwinters

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you what... If that guy's phone was ruined by running water over it I guarantee u it would have been ruined if placed in a sink full of water. It might have survived in a bowl of distilled water if the phone were off then immediately placed in a bag of rice for a week. So would most phones.

I agree with you. Glad it happened so early on ... but just to be on the safe side, I'm not going to be intentionally putting it in water again. No real reason to anyway except for showing off.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. Glad it happened so early on ... but just to be on the safe side, I'm not going to be intentionally putting it in water again. No real reason to anyway except for showing off.
I would like to think a phone in my pocket wet from pouring rain or slightly immersed in water on a shelf or something would survice if ip68. I don't believe this phone would pass random objective lab tests to this standard. Maybe designed to but qc inadequate to ensure it. Then there is the accidental toilet test. It happened to me once years ago before smart phones.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you what... If that guy's phone was ruined by running water over it I guarantee u it would have been ruined if placed in a sink full of water.

The whole point of my post is that it probably wouldn't, because water falling on an object is very different from water surrounding the object. It's the difference between under 25 pounds per square inch of pressure pushing against those gaskets and close to 200 pounds per square inch. The gaskets will hold up to 25, but not 200.

It MIGHT be okay if the water pressure was not against the gaskets. For example, hold it under the tap with the screen taking the brunt of the force, so the water is merely flowing over the home button and speakers and whatnot, and you'd probably be fine. Put the same speaker (or camera, as the OP did) directly under the falling column of water, and you are almost certainly going to have a bad time.

It's all about momentum and pressure. Lay a sheet of felt on your phone screen to protect from scratches. Set a standard 4.5 pound brick gently on that felt so it is standing on its edge. No damage. Gorilla Glass is rated to hold far more than 5 pounds of static weight over 4-5 square inches.

Now drop that brick from a height of six inches.

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
They know that -- They're just saying there is a lot more pressure if you compare water sitting in a glass versus water flowing out of a faucet. The rating they gave this phone is not meant for "proofing" the phone. It is more so meant for accidental spills or if you're talking on the phone and it starts to rain some you won't have to freak out and worry about your phone.

This is true but ... As with any advertising you always have to read the bottom of the screen or the "details". If I went with everything I saw on TV / advertisements life would be great .. But you always read the fine print and say "Ahh I see what you're doing".

But isn't rain "flowing" water? It is in a sense. What If you have your phone out and it starts to pour? You have to put it away immediately right? Heck, even spilling water on it would be considered flowing water.

If that's the case, Samsung should even tout it as water resistant.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But isn't rain "flowing" water? It is in a sense. What If you have your phone out and it starts to pour? You have to put it away immediately right?

If that's the case, Samsung should even tout it as water resistant.

Water from a faucet has more concentrated pressure than rain fall. Let's not split hair here guys :D... Common sense rule applies.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Water from a faucet has more concentrated pressure than rain fall. Let's not split hair here guys :D... Common sense rule applies.

Not really. Rain can fall 7 to 18 miles an hour. There's enough pressure there to penetrate.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Experiment:

1. Put on a scuba mask and swim down 8 feet without breathing some air into the mask. Note the strong pressure on your face-almost enough to break the glass.

2. Wear same scuba mask in shower, face into the water stream-relax & enjoy.

3. Make decision on which one had the PRESSURE.

PS. If Samsung says right in the manual to "rinse" the phone it's more than marketing jargon. A reasonable person can expect to have confidence in a manual.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
PS. If Samsung says right in the manual to "rinse" the phone it's more than marketing jargon. A reasonable person can expect to have confidence in a manual.

That I can agree on. I am glad he got a replacement as it sounds like water went right in versus doing what it should.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My husband's s5 was dropped in the hot tub and the Samsung repair shop took it in, did a pressure check and replaced his phone. The service there was excellent. If either of our S7s go haywire I will take them there rather than TMO.
What's a samsung repair shop? Are you in usa? Never heard of one.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
i'm going to crash my car into a wall to show my family how the air bags work.

That's quite a different sceario than ads and marketing dunking the phone just for the heck of it. No car ad shows people getting in crashes just for fun. But Samsung does show champagne being poured on a phone just for kicks.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
So... apparently, IPX3 rating is better than an IP68 rating: " IPx3 rating means it's protected from water spray up to 60 degrees at 10L per minute, pressure of 80-100kN/m2 up to 5 mins." Note that 100 kN/m2 equals 14.5038 PSI.
If water flowing is a problem, then you can't take it in a wading pool either. When your body moves, water will flow around it. I would think that a phone that would withstand pressure at 5 feet (2.17 PSI) would take the flow from a faucet, as long as it is not a high pressure stream. I know I wash my phone off a couple times a month (4 year old with sticky fingers), and I have carried on a conversation in the shower where pressure is pretty high. The only time I've had a problem is when something like tree sap got on the glass and would not come off. I washed it four times with water, and used soap and spray cleaner. The down volume rocker got a little wonky for a few minutes, then was fine after that.