10-30-2017 03:39 PM
32 12
tools
    Hi all,

My wife and I will be receiving this week our new Galaxy S7 Edges. We're coming from iphones and ipads. I'm wondering if in the Android world there is an equivalent to imessage which would allow us to send and receive SMS texts on both the phone and, say, a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet? This is one feature of ios that we do find useful. Our phones are ATT if that matters. I believe verizon has a messages app which can be installed on both phones and tablets.

Thanks in advance!
    03-22-2016 02:57 PM
    Hangouts.
    sicario666 likes this.
    03-22-2016 03:12 PM
    On the iPhone end, check the "SMS" box for at least one message to that number. (On each iDevice.)

iMessage isn't just a little Apple modification to messaging, it's an entire - and completely copyrighted - method of handling messages. And Apple won't let anyone else use it. If there's blame here, it's 100% on Apple's shoulders. You're blaming Samsung for not inventing iMessaging before Apple did.
    03-22-2016 03:14 PM
    On the iPhone end, check the "SMS" box for at least one message to that number. (On each iDevice.)

iMessage isn't just a little Apple modification to messaging, it's an entire - and completely copyrighted - method of handling messages. And Apple won't let anyone else use it. If there's blame here, it's 100% on Apple's shoulders. You're blaming Samsung for not inventing iMessaging before Apple did.
    I don't think anyone has any blame, why should Apple give up their IP for free?
    03-22-2016 03:24 PM
    Best option is transitioning to something like Hangouts or FB Messenger. WhatsApp is also a possibility, and you can use the WhatsApp Web interface to get around the single-device/phone number limitation.
    Almeuit and Aquila like this.
    03-22-2016 03:52 PM
    So Google Hangouts is the best option for us? @ Rukbat, could you please clarify what you mean regarding checking the SMS box on our idevices?
    03-22-2016 03:52 PM
    Actually the concept of instant communication wasn't invited and is not owned by Apple. If anyone has a possible claim to that it would be AOL. There are allot of instant messaging apps that can be used across devices. Part of the problem is our dependency on it be a SMS text message instead of using some other service to carry the data across.

Don't fool yourself into thinking iMessage is SMS as well, it isn't. It is just wrapped into the SMS client on Apple phones so it appears so. As long as you are talking to other Apple devices that are part of iMessage it doesn't go over the management protocal used for SMS. On the occasion you are communicating with someone that isn't on iMessage it reverts back to SMS that is all. It just prefers to try to stay in the apple iMessage system if possible. Hangouts will do the same thing. There is a setting in Hangouts that will allow it to serve as your SMS Client and it will do the seamless failover depending on what communication is available.

They really are the same thing for either system. Unfortunately Apple refuses to play nice and allow their messaging client on other platforms. Hangouts on the otherhand doesn't care.

You could also look at skype from a purely IM/video chat perspective. It does a slightly better job at being universal, but doesn't do SMS failback. Just IM though regular data channels.
    03-22-2016 04:00 PM
    What about some of these push apps such as Pushbullet? Would those work?
    03-22-2016 04:02 PM
    Hangout's won't fully replace iMessage if you are one to send videos. You can go the route of getting Google Photo links for the videos though if you really like Hangouts.

You can use Whatsapp and then connect the phone and tablet using the Side Sync app. It's definitely not as graceful as iMessage, but it'll work in a pinch.
    03-22-2016 04:14 PM
    Hangouts is on the way out (it was never good anyway) for SMS.

Google Hangouts 7.0 for Android asks users to stop using it for SMS | Ars Technica

So no, Android doesn't (or won't) have an iOS equivalent.
    03-22-2016 04:19 PM
    Rumor is Google is working on an imessage equivalent that comes out with Android N

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-22-2016 04:25 PM
    Honestly I don't think this could be achieved on Android the same way Apple does for the same reason we can't all get timely updates the way Apple does. Too many cooks in the same kitchen. Even if Google implemented something like this, different manufacturers would end up tweaking it, so it wouldn't be the same thing. The only way this would work is if Google implemented some sort of rule that the manufacturers couldn't change it in any way.
    03-22-2016 05:48 PM
    are you on Verizon? I think the message+ looks fairly decent. you can also send and receive messages from you laptop with it so why couldn't you do it with a tablet?
    03-22-2016 05:58 PM
    Sadly no. AT&T
    03-22-2016 06:47 PM
    I have the s7 edge and my wife has the s6 edge, whenever we text message each other it shows delivery and read messages like I message on the iPhone

03-22-2016 07:21 PM
    Facebook Messenger works well. It also does video calling which is very similar to facetime.
    03-22-2016 07:40 PM
    I forgot to mention we have the ability through the stock phone app app to video call instead of phone call which is similar to FaceTime

03-22-2016 07:58 PM
    If you had a windows phone it would work with a windows tablet.
    03-22-2016 08:55 PM
    I have T-Mobile and anyone else that has T-Mobile has the enhanced messaging. I shows when either one of us is typing and also sent, received and read. I had textra which didn't have those features so for now I'm sticking with the stock messaging app.

stevemustang likes this.
    03-22-2016 09:03 PM
    Im on tmobile , we have the read messages and video call from phone app

03-22-2016 09:27 PM
    Honestly I don't think this could be achieved on Android the same way Apple does for the same reason we can't all get timely updates the way Apple does. Too many cooks in the same kitchen. Even if Google implemented something like this, different manufacturers would end up tweaking it, so it wouldn't be the same thing. The only way this would work is if Google implemented some sort of rule that the manufacturers couldn't change it in any way.
    They would just make it part of the GAPPS package that is required to be installed. Carriers wouldn't be able to modify the actual app since it's a Google App.

The trick would be getting people to use it over the normal SMS app that also comes with phones.
    03-22-2016 10:15 PM
    Use Mighty Text. It allows you to receive the same txts on multiple devices, tablets or even your computer.

All you do is use the stock messaging app like usual and the messages/pics are mirrored on any device you have Mights Text installed on.
    03-23-2016 09:21 AM
    Use Mighty Text. It allows you to receive the same txts on multiple devices, tablets or even your computer.

All you do is use the stock messaging app like usual and the messages/pics are mirrored on any device you have Mights Text installed on.
    Awesome thank you! Last night I downloaded MT tablet version. Will test it today. Hopefully it will do the job
    03-23-2016 09:25 AM
    Use WhatsApp, you and your wife will be happier in the long run. Like it or not, WhatsApp now commands the lion's share of IM userbase. I use an iPad and love it too but I generally stay clear of being tied to Apple-exclusive services, such as, iTunes, iCloud, iMessage, iWhatever, etc whenever I can. Those services are fully intended to rope you in and keep you in Apple's closed ecosystem.
    craigrn16 likes this.
    03-24-2016 12:09 PM
    Hangouts is on the way out (it was never good anyway) for SMS.

Google Hangouts 7.0 for Android asks users to stop using it for SMS | Ars Technica

So no, Android doesn't (or won't) have an iOS equivalent.
    BTW, Hangouts fails do the one thing I want that iMessage does with SMS messages, which is to sync across devices. It does do this for Hangouts messages and text messages from a Google Voice number, but not texts from an actual mobile phone number.

If one wanted to, one could just use a Google Voice number for everything, but at this point that would be a big change for me -- everyone I know has my mobile number already (and it's easily memorizable).
    djsteen likes this.
    08-12-2016 11:26 AM
32 12