S7 Edge with High Quality Headphones

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone provide their experience with high quality over the ear headphones? I'm interested to know if the phone has the power to deliver and drive high quality sound. I ordered some Audio Technica ATH M50s and was hoping to use them with the S7 Edge.

Posted via the Android Central App

gnuser

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I would not recommend spending $$ on headphones with edge. The amp is quite mediocre. I use NHT audiophile head phones and sound flat and under driven. I have had better sound from my work iPhone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone provide their experience with high quality over the ear headphones? I'm interested to know if the phone has the power to deliver and drive high quality sound. I ordered some Audio Technica ATH M50s and was hoping to use them with the S7 Edge.

You should definitely be able to use the M50 with the S7e without any issues. I have the M40x (which are VERY similar) and they sound good directly out of the headphone jack. I do wish they could go a bit louder sometimes though. At max volume there are times when I still want an extra click or two.

I also have a set of the V-Moda XS which are more efficient than the M40x, and I have no such desires for more volume from them. I rarely go higher than two clicks below max volume with them.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would not recommend spending $$ on headphones with edge. The amp is quite mediocre. I use NHT audiophile head phones and sound flat and under driven. I have had better sound from my work iPhone.

"The amp is quite mediocre"

It's actually quite good from a technical standpoint. I have yet to see any measured power output tests though, which could be why you prefer the iPhone (they have always tended to have a higher output ceiling than other phones). Frequency response, THD, IMD, etc are all within range of the iPhone to the point where you won't hear the difference at all. Stereo crosstalk is much better than the iPhone though.

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge review: Stargate - page 8 - GSMArena.com

I did see a review that measured the output power now that I think about it...I'll have to look for it. I'll update if I find it.

Here it is: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-Review_id4164/page/3

Scroll to the bottom.

gnuser

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Try volume at 90% and the sound will tear up even with the best headphones. Treble levels are very high, Samsung didn't pay attention to it. Can volume and hands free speaker is clean.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like an external amp may be needed to get the most out of the headphones if I use the S7 Edge

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Question, did you set the Adapt sound under Sound quality and effects on the Sound Settings? I'm not saying it can do miracles but it can do wonders sometimes.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Try volume at 90% and the sound will tear up even with the best headphones. Treble levels are very high, Samsung didn't pay attention to it. Can volume and hands free speaker is clean.
That's not really true either. Frequency response is flat.

Where are you getting your information?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like an external amp may be needed to get the most out of the headphones if I use the S7 Edge

An external AMP/DAC will always give better performance.

If your question is "how do I get the best sound possible" then yes an external solution is best.

If your question is "is the S7e good enough" the answer is "probably yes".

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
An external AMP/DAC will always give better performance.

If your question is "how do I get the best sound possible" then yes an external solution is best.

If your question is "is the S7e good enough" the answer is "probably yes".

The responses here I've gotten essentially tell me that if I have high expectations when using my new headphones with the S7 Edge, I should get an external amplifier. If I'm not too particular about the sound, I should be fine. I would like to get the best experience, so I'll go with your advice and grab an external amp unless there is a suitable app that will get the job done.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The responses here I've gotten essentially tell me that if I have high expectations when using my new headphones with the S7 Edge, I should get an external amplifier. If I'm not too particular about the sound, I should be fine. I would like to get the best experience, so I'll go with your advice and grab an external amp unless there is a suitable app that will get the job done.

No app will make the phone have more output. External amp it is.

gnuser

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Try a channel from Pandora on phone speaker and on headphones. YouTube sound quality is not great either. Try it and pay attention to it vs just hearing the noise.

Captpt

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I also have the AT MN 50s too plus Bose QC15s. The S7 Edge is OK, not great, just OK.. Honestly when I want serious music listening at home (Pandora, Spotify and my mp3s) believe it or not i use a old iPhone 4. My last 3 Galaxys and Windows phones can't touch the iPhone 4. I know it's not going to be popular here but sadly it's the truth..

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a pair of relatively inexpensive Beyerdynamic DT 235s that I kept around 70% for a normal listening level on my M8 but on my S7 (non edge) I have to crank it near 100%. Definitely not a loud amp.

Make it so.

GoldenWarr

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
With the AKG K7XX, I play music about 1 tick below the full volume of the phone. Full volume gets it right over non-sibilant listening volume for me. Definitely doesn't have enough power to adequately push headphones like these. The FiiO E17K I use works well with USB OTG, though it certainly adds some bulk if you were planning to use your phone with high end headphones + amp on the go.

It does a little better job with my SHP9500s, which aren't known to be that power hungry relative to other high end headphones (these are low-mid range cans). I still get slightly over 3/4 of the volume bar for normal listening volume.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentums that sound fine through the audio jack on the S7e and the phone meets my needs in the car using a hard-wired 3.5 cable into the AUX port. Volume levels are fine.

I use USB Audio Player Pro and a FiiO DAC when I really want to do some serious listening. Not surprisingly the external USB DAC sounds better but I think the Snapdragon SoC does a fine job for most listening experiences. Everything I listen to is in FLAC format.

BTW I now use UAPP instead of PowerAmp. You can use UAPP as your default Android player without a USB DAC as long as you select that option in the settings. I did a comprehensive side-by-side comparison and the same music sounded much better using UAPP than PowerAmp.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I do not listen to music at blistering levels but I use a pair of Audio-technica ANC9 Quiet points every day at work and they seem fine, then again these are active noise canceling and do something a bit different than the the norm.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Your M50s will be absolutely fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo