Biggest Complaint So Far

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Not too much to ***** about with my S7E. I find it slightly uncomfortable to hold without a case (tooo narrow and hard to avoid touching the edges of the screen), but that's a minor quibble.

My biggest complaint is probably the tiny font on the notifications in the notification shade. What is up with that? Why is it so tiny? It's not just a personal preference thing, really, it borders on the ridiculous. Especially since there seems there is no way to adjust it.

I turned on my LG G4 this morning and the font in its notification shade is significantly larger and doesn't seem to sacrifice anything in viewable text.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Does adjusting the size under Font change the text within that? I made my entire screen smaller to get more real estate but I don't have an issues reading the notifications.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can actually adjust it... Look in the s7 edge faq sticky. However you can only make it smaller (more condensed). I actually made it more condensed because I get a lot of notifications.

If you want to make it larger... Then you would need root.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Does adjusting the size under Font change the text within that? I made my entire screen smaller to get more real estate but I don't have an issues reading the notifications.

Changing the System font size doesn't do anything with that particular font.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You can actually adjust it... Look in the s7 edge faq sticky. However you can only make it smaller (more condensed). I actually made it more condensed because I get a lot of notifications.

If you want to make it larger... Then you would need root.

Smaller. LOL.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is this notification font size the norm for Galaxy handsets now? My daughter has a S3 and my wife has a S5 and I haven't noitced such a tiny font on their handsets.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I made mine smaller using the condensed text tweak. Now the phone actually looks like it's making good use of this beautiful screen real estate.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Smaller. LOL.

Almost certain not to work but easy to try: I'd recommend trying to turn the compression on (save the setting) and then back off (save it again) to make sure there isn't some oddness that is misreading the setting and actually compressing it on you even though you never asked for it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Interesting observation. I don't have the sharpest eyes in the world (I'm a long way from 30-something), but I have no issue with the notification fonts. I just looked at my G3, and there's no significant difference in the notification font that I can see.

My biggest gripe is that Lightflow just doesn't work 100% correctly. Or more accurately, when I set up lighflow so it works correctly in interferes with fingerprint unlock in some situations.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Almost certain not to work but easy to try: I'd recommend trying to turn the compression on (save the setting) and then back off (save it again) to make sure there isn't some oddness that is misreading the setting and actually compressing it on you even though you never asked for it.

Thanks, nate. You mean the Condensed DPI setting? I did try that (and thanks for the heads up everyone) and back and it doesn't change notification shade text. I prefer the Standard DPI anyway, as it turns out.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Interesting observation. I don't have the sharpest eyes in the world (I'm a long way from 30-something), but I have no issue with the notification fonts. I just looked at my G3, and there's no significant difference in the notification font that I can see.

Here are screenshots of my S7E and my G4. I'm not sure how this will translate in the screenshots, but the difference is noticeable:

Screenshot_20160323-165325.jpg Screenshot_2016-03-23-16-56-54.jpg

...oh yeah, it shows.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it's a normal size, LG has been using a MASSIVE font since the G3 and it's almost comically large.

edit:

if you are comfortable with setting up ADB, you can use this method to increase the DPI (raise the number) to make everything bigger

[GUIDE] How to change DPI without root | Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

i'm not sure what LG uses, maybe 680 or something, the stock iirc is 640, so you'd want to pick a number larger than that to make everything look bigger.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Here are screenshots of my S7E and my G4. I'm not sure how this will translate in the screenshots, but the difference is noticeable:

...oh yeah, it shows.

I see what you mean now. I was looking at the header text in each notification, not the detail. I still don't have any real issue with it. If I want to know more than what the header shows, I click on the notification anyway.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they don't both have the same DPI, so that could be it. Those G4 notifications look comically huge though.

My Droid Turbo also didnt have the tiny notification detail font.

They should adjust for DPI from handset to handset.

At the very least, this is something that should have a setting for it.

~Kevin
Posted via the Android Central App

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
My Droid Turbo also didnt have the tiny notification detail font.

They should adjust for DPI from handset to handset.

At the very least, this is something that should have a setting for it.

~Kevin
Posted via the Android Central App

android N will let users scale the DPI setting through the UI. until then you can use adb to adjust the DPI.

the OEMs do adjust the DPI for what they feel is good for the user, which is why you see the variation between them, DPI (in this sense) is not a function of the hardware, it's just a software setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37