03-25-2016 01:17 PM
35 12
tools
    Not too much to ***** about with my S7E. I find it slightly uncomfortable to hold without a case (tooo narrow and hard to avoid touching the edges of the screen), but that's a minor quibble.

My biggest complaint is probably the tiny font on the notifications in the notification shade. What is up with that? Why is it so tiny? It's not just a personal preference thing, really, it borders on the ridiculous. Especially since there seems there is no way to adjust it.

I turned on my LG G4 this morning and the font in its notification shade is significantly larger and doesn't seem to sacrifice anything in viewable text.
    03-23-2016 10:09 AM
    Does adjusting the size under Font change the text within that? I made my entire screen smaller to get more real estate but I don't have an issues reading the notifications.
    03-23-2016 10:12 AM
    You can actually adjust it... Look in the s7 edge faq sticky. However you can only make it smaller (more condensed). I actually made it more condensed because I get a lot of notifications.

If you want to make it larger... Then you would need root.
    03-23-2016 10:14 AM
    Does adjusting the size under Font change the text within that? I made my entire screen smaller to get more real estate but I don't have an issues reading the notifications.
    Changing the System font size doesn't do anything with that particular font.
    03-23-2016 10:15 AM
    You can actually adjust it... Look in the s7 edge faq sticky. However you can only make it smaller (more condensed). I actually made it more condensed because I get a lot of notifications.

If you want to make it larger... Then you would need root.
    Smaller. LOL.
    03-23-2016 10:16 AM
    Is this notification font size the norm for Galaxy handsets now? My daughter has a S3 and my wife has a S5 and I haven't noitced such a tiny font on their handsets.
    03-23-2016 10:17 AM
    What if you change the system font itself to a bolder font?
    03-23-2016 11:10 AM
    I made mine smaller using the condensed text tweak. Now the phone actually looks like it's making good use of this beautiful screen real estate.
    Almeuit likes this.
    03-23-2016 11:16 AM
    It's not just a personal preference thing, really, it borders on the ridiculous.
    Clearly it is as others prefer to make theirs smaller.
    03-23-2016 12:24 PM
    Smaller. LOL.
    Almost certain not to work but easy to try: I'd recommend trying to turn the compression on (save the setting) and then back off (save it again) to make sure there isn't some oddness that is misreading the setting and actually compressing it on you even though you never asked for it.
    03-23-2016 12:31 PM
    Clearly it is as others prefer to make theirs smaller.
    Well, logically speaking, it could mean those people are ridiculous. 😉

~Kevin
    Posted via the Android Central App
    chezm likes this.
    03-23-2016 03:28 PM
    Interesting observation. I don't have the sharpest eyes in the world (I'm a long way from 30-something), but I have no issue with the notification fonts. I just looked at my G3, and there's no significant difference in the notification font that I can see.

My biggest gripe is that Lightflow just doesn't work 100% correctly. Or more accurately, when I set up lighflow so it works correctly in interferes with fingerprint unlock in some situations.
    KPMcClave and recDNA like this.
    03-23-2016 03:46 PM
    03-23-2016 03:54 PM
    Almost certain not to work but easy to try: I'd recommend trying to turn the compression on (save the setting) and then back off (save it again) to make sure there isn't some oddness that is misreading the setting and actually compressing it on you even though you never asked for it.
    Thanks, nate. You mean the Condensed DPI setting? I did try that (and thanks for the heads up everyone) and back and it doesn't change notification shade text. I prefer the Standard DPI anyway, as it turns out.
    03-23-2016 04:12 PM
    Interesting observation. I don't have the sharpest eyes in the world (I'm a long way from 30-something), but I have no issue with the notification fonts. I just looked at my G3, and there's no significant difference in the notification font that I can see.
    Here are screenshots of my S7E and my G4. I'm not sure how this will translate in the screenshots, but the difference is noticeable:

Biggest Complaint So Far-screenshot_20160323-165325.jpg Biggest Complaint So Far-screenshot_2016-03-23-16-56-54.jpg

...oh yeah, it shows.
    03-23-2016 04:17 PM
    it's a normal size, LG has been using a MASSIVE font since the G3 and it's almost comically large.

edit:

if you are comfortable with setting up ADB, you can use this method to increase the DPI (raise the number) to make everything bigger

[GUIDE] How to change DPI without root | Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

i'm not sure what LG uses, maybe 680 or something, the stock iirc is 640, so you'd want to pick a number larger than that to make everything look bigger.
    03-23-2016 05:38 PM
    Here are screenshots of my S7E and my G4. I'm not sure how this will translate in the screenshots, but the difference is noticeable:

...oh yeah, it shows.
    I see what you mean now. I was looking at the header text in each notification, not the detail. I still don't have any real issue with it. If I want to know more than what the header shows, I click on the notification anyway.
    03-23-2016 10:10 PM
    I'm pretty sure they don't both have the same DPI, so that could be it. Those G4 notifications look comically huge though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20160323-165325.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	221756 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-23-16-56-54.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	221757

...oh yeah, it shows.
    03-24-2016 09:17 AM
    I'm pretty sure they don't both have the same DPI, so that could be it. Those G4 notifications look comically huge though.
    My Droid Turbo also didnt have the tiny notification detail font.

They should adjust for DPI from handset to handset.

At the very least, this is something that should have a setting for it.

~Kevin
    03-24-2016 09:38 AM
    My Droid Turbo also didnt have the tiny notification detail font.

They should adjust for DPI from handset to handset.

At the very least, this is something that should have a setting for it.

~Kevin
    android N will let users scale the DPI setting through the UI. until then you can use adb to adjust the DPI.

the OEMs do adjust the DPI for what they feel is good for the user, which is why you see the variation between them, DPI (in this sense) is not a function of the hardware, it's just a software setting.
    03-24-2016 10:39 AM
    android N will let users scale the DPI setting through the UI. until then you can use adb to adjust the DPI.

the OEMs do adjust the DPI for what they feel is good for the user, which is why you see the variation between them, DPI (in this sense) is not a function of the hardware, it's just a software setting.
    I did adjust the DPI to Condensed via the Nova Launcher method. I didn't like it overall, and it didn't seem to do anything to the notification font size in question anyway.

I wonder if everyone else's font size looks the same as the one in my screenshot upthread? If maybe there is some sort of glitch in my setup? I understand opinions vary, but I have a hard time believing nobody else has an issue with that notification detail size.

~Kevin
    03-24-2016 10:49 AM
    I did adjust the DPI to Condensed via the Nova Launcher method. I didn't like it overall, and it didn't seem to do anything to the notification don't size in question anyway.

I wonder if everyone else's font size looks the same as the one in. My screenshot upthread? If maybe there is some sort of glitch in my setup?

~Kevin
    This is mine. I did the Nova Launcher change and kept it since I like smaller icons and more screen space.
    Attached Thumbnails Biggest Complaint So Far-1458834840148.jpg  
    03-24-2016 10:54 AM
    This is mine. I did the Nova Launcher change and kept it since I like smaller icons and more screen space.
    Thanks. Looks like you have the tiny font, too.

~Kevin
    03-24-2016 11:05 AM
    I did adjust the DPI to Condensed via the Nova Launcher method. I didn't like it overall, and it didn't seem to do anything to the notification font size in question anyway.

I wonder if everyone else's font size looks the same as the one in my screenshot upthread? If maybe there is some sort of glitch in my setup? I understand opinions vary, but I have a hard time believing nobody else has an issue with that notification detail size.

~Kevin
    Yea i dont like it either, have to put on reading glasses to see it
    That and i wish i could hide apps in that app drawer, and or be able to group the apps into folders like you can if you put em on the home screen and group into a folder. Why the heck didnt they give the ability to do it in the app drawer ?
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-24-2016 11:38 AM

~Kevin
    condensed is the opposite direction you would want to go, you want to increase the DPI setting (which makes the UI elements and text larger) and the only way to make it larger than the default setting is through adb.
    03-24-2016 11:51 AM
35 12